HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2015, 05:13 PM
Joined Mar 2013
45 Posts
Thanks EJ. It's hard for an inexperienced builder like myself to post pics when the bar has been set pretty high by a master builder like yourself. I'll see if can muster the courage once I get a little further on with the wing. Appreciate it.
Flyrc67 is online now Find More Posts by Flyrc67
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2015, 06:00 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,069 Posts
Hey, don't worry about quality of build or other such issues when posting pics.

Most of us in here are not master modelers. We just like to see how other people do things. Despite having built many, I have still learned a few tricks from 'new' builders through the years. Sometimes too, a problem that you run into will get an answer that reminds me of how I should be doing something.

FWIW, I rarely let anyone look at my models up close. Too many problem areas. And I am relatively horrible with covering/finishing.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 18, 2015, 07:28 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,396 Posts
We aren't here to judge your workmanship...We're long-time modelers that can help you accomplish your goal, and have fun along the way.
Some of us are perfectionists, some are above average, some are run of the mill builders.
Personally, I build strong and not pretty....I don't care about stains on the wood , runny epoxy, or glue that has made it's presence known, where it shouldn't be.

I cover all that up with covering and paint. That's where I try to shine- in the finished product.......

Right now, your best is good enough, and there isn't anything on a model that can't be redone, usually a little better.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: "Bucket lists"
Old Jan 18, 2015, 08:15 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrc67 View Post
Thanks EJ. It's hard for an inexperienced builder like myself to post pics when the bar has been set pretty high by a master builder like yourself. I'll see if can muster the courage once I get a little further on with the wing. Appreciate it.
I really don't consider myself a "Master Builder". An above-average (smoke-and-mirror) photographer - maybe!

Anyway, your words make me think of my very first build. Carl Goldberg Falcon 56, sometime in 1973. I was a Freshman in high school. Built the model on one section of a closet bi-fold door that I placed on the top of my dresser (Mom really liked that!). I don't have any pictures of it. If I did, thinking back on that poor model, I'm sure it was a model only its builder could love. And love it I did! I flew it elevator, rudder, and throttle. By the time I was able to move on to an aileron trainer (Sig Kommander) that Falcon was tired! But I built it, and it was mine.

There is no judging one's abilities here. Just building and having some fun at it. I'm here to learn how to improve my skills, and I guarantee you, I'll learn something from you. That's what it's all about.

After our move, I uncrated all of my models. The YMF-3 is sitting in the shop. I was able to snap some pics of the upper wing. You can see the wing mid-section contour (the best I could capture, anyway) and I have some shots of the wingtip. As you can see, there is a lot of carving, shaping, and sanding involved. No big deal, and actually somewhat therapeutic!

You had a question about the W-7 and W-8 ribs, and the W-13 training edge spar. As you can see in the pics, bot the W-7 and W-8 ribs sit proud (above) the wing's main spar and the W-13 trailing edge spar. After I shape and sand the leading edge of the wing, I'll sand down the W-7 and W-8 ribs to match the contour of the wing, leading to trailing edge. In other words, the bottoms of both the W-7 and W-8 ribs will have a straight line from the leading edge, to the W-13 spar. Make sense?

If there are any other angles you need of this area - ask. I'll try and snap them.

EJ
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Last edited by EJWash1; Jan 18, 2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 08:41 PM
Joined Mar 2013
45 Posts
Thanks guys for the words of encouragement, I'll post some tomorrow.

EJ thanks very much for the photos especially of the wing tip, they help a lot. I see you added some additional triangular stock to the ribs where they meet the tip block and W13 for added strength. I was wondering about that also. I also see where the W7 & W8 ribs are proud to the W13 just like mine ended up, so that's encouraging. Appreciate it.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 09:07 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrc67 View Post
I see you added some additional triangular stock to the ribs where they meet the tip block and W13 for added strength. I was wondering about that also.
Yeah. I did not feel good about the lack of "meat" at the rib/spar junction. My kit ribs are 3/32. I was concerned about the strength of the joint. It may not matter, but at least I feel better about it.

Does your kit have the 1/8" ribs?

EJ
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:35 PM
Joined Mar 2013
45 Posts
Here are few pics of my build so far. Ready to do some trimming, sheeting and thanks to the pics from EJ the wing tip , which now seems pretty straight forward. Despite my previous comments, I am pretty thick skinned, so I would appreciate your comments on how to improve, change things.

EJ my ribs are also 3/32. Thanks
Old Jan 19, 2015, 01:03 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,450 Posts
What I see is a clean and straight build. Nice progress.

EJ
Old Jan 19, 2015, 09:48 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,396 Posts
One thing I'd like to recommend is to carefully epoxy those wing mounting blind nuts into the blocks of the wing center section.....Screw a bolt down from the top to seal the threads from epoxy, and it'll back right out if some gets on it.

If one of those nuts ever comes loose, you'll have to cut in there, to fix it.

I had a guy start all four bolts cross-threaded...He tore all the nuts loose, trying to force it.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: "Bucket lists"
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:09 AM
Joined Mar 2013
45 Posts
Thanks guys for the feedback. Those blind nuts are actually epoxied in place.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 02:07 AM
Geppetto
United States, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2005
146 Posts
Flyrc67,

Here is a shot of my laminated wing tip from my WACO.

Geppetto
1stGeppetto is offline Find More Posts by 1stGeppetto
Last edited by 1stGeppetto; Jan 22, 2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:29 AM
Joined Mar 2013
45 Posts
Thanks Geppetto, that certainly is a bit more robust and cooler looking than that kit version. I already did the kit version, but will definitely keep the lamination approach in mind for the future. Appreciate it.

Now that I have the issues worked out thanks to you guys I'm really moving along with both wings. Will post some more pics next week once I get them in final shaping.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:47 AM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Feb 2009
1,121 Posts
Beautiful work.
I laminated the tail feathers for my Great Lakes. Four 1/16 laminations that were steamed and bent. I did depart slightly from the plans. I made the first (inner) lamination from bass and the other 3 balsa. It did not add much wight but boy did it make the parts a lot stronger.

Ken
greyflight390 is online now Find More Posts by greyflight390
Old Jan 22, 2015, 01:23 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,069 Posts
Here is one of my tail laminations (again, not the PICA kit). Notice the middle lams of 1/32 ply. Bass or ply, the extra bits really make it a lot stiffer. The balsa on inside makes a better gluing surface than ply and the balsa outer layers make shaping easier.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=36
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb