SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Today, 08:39 AM
It's only money & foam...
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Jun 2012
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P51FlyGuy View Post
I find the Admiral 1100 3s to be nearly the same form factor as the 1300 2s and prefer them for 3s power on the 800 mm frames. They both fit the pockets on P51 and P47 with only a little persuasion (and no cutting foam) on the first flight. After that, no problems.

I don't believe anyone is really flying 2200 3s in them, that's just ridiculous.
Your wrong. There's a guy on here, 00Smurf, that flys his 800mm Zero on a 2200 lipo. With some minor mods to the compartment, he was able to get the lipo to balance and fit. I believe he gets almost 20 min. flights outta it. No joke! Search back and you will find it.
P40flyer is offline Find More Posts by P40flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 09:02 AM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Feb 2013
257 Posts
Something different maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexpretadorGT View Post
Well, what size and style are you looking for? I'm a motionrc fan they test the planes themselves before they sell them so you know you're getting a quality product. Good prices and fast shipping is always a plus
I have so many warbirds - I'm thinking about getting something different for my next purchase. I have my eye on the red 800mm Freewing Moray Sport Racer. Looks cool and fast! And with my gift card I can get it for around $50

BUT... The FMS 980mm P-47D Razorback High Speed keeps speaking to me whenever I visit the website.

So now I must decide if I want to go the truly economical route and get out of there spending less than $70 for the Moray - or get a great deal on the Razorback (a flap and retract plane) for around $160 --- decisions - decisions
mtfly is online now Find More Posts by mtfly
Old Today, 11:15 AM
Joined Nov 2014
315 Posts
I have the P40 high speed... well had....

It is a beautiful plane
ApexpretadorGT is online now Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
Old Today, 02:05 PM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfly View Post
I'll be putting a lemon stabilizer rx in mine, so that should help. Which 800mm do you think flies the best out of the box?
The 190 is what got me started on Lemons. Couldn't figure out why I was having such a problem with it. Flew it one day when it was dead calm, and it was fine. Flew again a few days later, slight breeze, and it was back to being a hot mess. That's when the lightbulb came on, it hates the wind. Lemon fixed that problem, and made me a believer...

"Best" is subjective, I think. They all have different traits, good and bad habits.

The easiest one for me to fly is the P-40, hands down. It goes exactly where you point it, doesn't tip stall, glides forever, will handle some wind, the big shark mouth provides some ground clearance for belly landing, I'm still on the factory prop after ~40 flights. Tame and relaxing on 2S, and will haul the mail on 3S. Lots of room for different batteries, and not super CG critical.
FLTRI is offline Find More Posts by FLTRI
Old Today, 02:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfly View Post
I have so many warbirds - I'm thinking about getting something different for my next purchase. I have my eye on the red 800mm Freewing Moray Sport Racer. Looks cool and fast! And with my gift card I can get it for around $50

BUT... The FMS 980mm P-47D Razorback High Speed keeps speaking to me whenever I visit the website.

So now I must decide if I want to go the truly economical route and get out of there spending less than $70 for the Moray - or get a great deal on the Razorback (a flap and retract plane) for around $160 --- decisions - decisions
You could use the $50 on the 980mm P-40 Scratch & dent. You'd be out the door for just over a C-note. I have one, and boiled out the very minor ding in a couple of minutes, hell of a bargain...
Old Today, 02:18 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P40flyer View Post
Your wrong. There's a guy on here, 00Smurf, that flys his 800mm Zero on a 2200 lipo. With some minor mods to the compartment, he was able to get the lipo to balance and fit. I believe he gets almost 20 min. flights outta it. No joke! Search back and you will find it.
Yeah, I remember that. Didn't he end up glueing the wing on, and doing some serious carving to get the 2200 in there? I've considered chopping up a plane and giving it a try.

It'd be kinda comical to fly with someone else who had the same plane, and keep on flying, while your pal has gone through 3-4 batteries.

"Throttle management, son, throttle management"
Old Today, 03:50 PM
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
1,144 Posts
Not an 800 but a 650mm FW190D from HK. I posted this on a different thread but only got one reply.

So I figured you guys would appreciate it instead. I spent quite a few hours painting it as the stock scheme was naff to say the least. Picked up a nice little pilot off an ebay seller in the UK, he's the perfect scale and printed my own decals. This thing is a blast on 3S and rock solid with a gyro. It's very well behaved without the gyro as well, I flew it without realizing I had it turned off until the wind picked up and it got a bit twitchy.

I was going to buy the Alfa FW190D but this HK one is PNF for less money so it was a no brainer really.

FMS should definitely consider making the "Dora" in 800mm or larger, it looks so nice in the air. A decent paint job is a must though. Makes all the difference.
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK
Old Today, 04:08 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,220 Posts
That looks sharp! I'd eyeballed that one for some time on HK, but as you mentioned it's a bit "toy-ish" looking. You did a great job making it look like a real fighter!
Old Today, 04:27 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,144 Posts
Many thanks! I was in the same mind as you, it looked a bit crap to me but I pulled the trigger on the last but one in the UK warehouse.

I've realised that you have to do that with HK because these things rarely get re-stocked. Once their gone, that's it.
Old Today, 04:38 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,144 Posts
So after looking around a bit, I still can't find an approx 800mm Spitfire that has good reviews.

Actually, I would prefer a Hurricane but can't find one of those either.

What's the options?
Old Today, 04:56 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
Yeah, I remember that. Didn't he end up glueing the wing on, and doing some serious carving to get the 2200 in there? I've considered chopping up a plane and giving it a try.

It'd be kinda comical to fly with someone else who had the same plane, and keep on flying, while your pal has gone through 3-4 batteries.

"Throttle management, son, throttle management"
That Zero was something else! I gotta give Smurf credit. Took a little tinkering but he pulled it off. I thought of doing the same....maybe with my 800mm P-51.

Yeah... That would be funny as all hell. Flying for 20 minutes with the same plane as someone else. And their looking at you scratching their head in disbelief...
Old Today, 05:08 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,201 Posts
Quote:
The 190 is what got me started on Lemons. Couldn't figure out why I was having such a problem with it. Flew it one day when it was dead calm, and it was fine. Flew again a few days later, slight breeze, and it was back to being a hot mess. That's when the lightbulb came on, it hates the wind. Lemon fixed that problem, and made me a believer...

"Best" is subjective, I think. They all have different traits, good and bad habits.

The easiest one for me to fly is the P-40, hands down. It goes exactly where you point it, doesn't tip stall, glides forever, will handle some wind, the big shark mouth provides some ground clearance for belly landing, I'm still on the factory prop after ~40 flights. Tame and relaxing on 2S, and will haul the mail on 3S. Lots of room for different batteries, and not super CG critical.
I agree. The P-40 is pretty much the "overall" best. Not finicky at all. The Zero is a close second. It's very stable and acts as if it's on rails. Like FLTRI said, they all have +'s and -'s from one to the other. I have almost all of them, 9 total. But the P-40 & Zero are my two favs. Call them my "go to" birds that never dissapoint.
Old Today, 05:41 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVK View Post
So after looking around a bit, I still can't find an approx 800mm Spitfire that has good reviews.

Actually, I would prefer a Hurricane but can't find one of those either.

What's the options?
Somewhere in this very long thread, there are some comments on the V2 Spit. Seems like they were positive, for the most part. No Hurricane, but they do have a Tempest here http://www.motionrc.com/warbirds/?sort=priceasc

Obviously wouldn't work shipping to the UK, but at least there are some reviews and pics to get an idea...
Old Today, 07:51 PM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Feb 2013
257 Posts
Square one

Quote:
Originally Posted by P40flyer View Post
I agree. The P-40 is pretty much the "overall" best. Not finicky at all. The Zero is a close second. It's very stable and acts as if it's on rails. Like FLTRI said, they all have +'s and -'s from one to the other. I have almost all of them, 9 total. But the P-40 & Zero are my two favs. Call them my "go to" birds that never dissapoint.
Haha! You guys have me back at square one. A larger Zero than my eflite really has me thinking. Love the way that thing flies and only have one Zero in the fleet. For me FLTRI - The eflite P-40 is the plane that sold me on lemon RX. After the rudder mod it sure needed it I'm still having fun breaking it in - so I will probably wait on the fms P-40. But the 800mm zero has really sparked my interest. Whatever I get I'll decide in the next few days because I need to order batteries for the 190 and might as well get it all at once.

Now where am I going to find room...
mtfly is online now Find More Posts by mtfly
Old Today, 10:58 PM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Jan 2013
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Somewhere in this very long thread, there are some comments on the V2 Spit. Seems like they were positive, for the most part. No Hurricane, but they do have a Tempest here http://www.motionrc.com/warbirds/?sort=priceasc

Obviously wouldn't work shipping to the UK, but at least there are some reviews and pics to get an idea...
I am LOVING my V2 Spitfire...3S, fast and on rails...
I am eyeing the Corsair
abjets is online now Find More Posts by abjets
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SA F-18 50MM Build