New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2015, 08:33 PM
Find More Posts by pyronaught
Potential Future Has-Been
Joined Feb 2009
669 Posts
Discussion
FAA UAV Rules

I haven't been following the FAA issue much regarding UAVs, but I just read where there has been an all out ban on commercial use of UAVs in the US for what appears to be several years now. Is this true? On the Galaxy Blimps website I see they are not even leasing outdoor systems due to these regs, which is apparently being fought in the courts right now. So has outdoor commercial blimp operations just been completely shut down for several years running now?

It's hard to believe the government would be so idiotic to just completely ban commercial UAV use while they move at a snails pace to figure out what they want the laws to be on this subject. Meanwhile hobbyists are still allowed to fly them, so how does making money at it magically make it a safety issue? The whole thing stinks of special interests trying to protect a market that UAVs were probably starting to steal business from. Lord knows we've been under the rule of the most corrupt political administration in history for the last six years, with every regulatory agency being used as a weapon to punish the enemies of the biggest political campaign donors and lobbyists. I've never seen anything this blatantly corrupt though. The fact that this ban applies only to commercial operations tells you everything you need to know-- that it is all about MONEY.
pyronaught is offline Find More Posts by pyronaught
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2015, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by ruzam
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,626 Posts
It's always about the money.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Mar 09, 2015, 05:08 PM
Joined Feb 2009
669 Posts
When you think about it, it's the commercial guys who are going to be the most responsible. But no, clueless regulators who never have any consideration for the private businesses that basically pay their salary decide to put a bunch of people out of work during a recession.

It does look like they are finally getting around to releasing some regs that aren't too restrictive , at least for now. Regulations are always a one-way ratchet that continually progress in the direction of less freedom as time goes on though, which is why you want to keep government out of everything you possibly can (like the internet, for example).

Even getting to the current proposals took what, four years now? And STILL it isn't final yet. Meanwhile a whole bunch of people who do aerial real estate photography for a business got screwed, and anyone else using UAVs to make money.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by powerblimp
rc blimp manufacturer
Switzerland, VD, Crans-près-Céligny
Joined Dec 2005
667 Posts
hello any news on FAA333 exemption for blimps??
it seems things are moving no??

cheers philipp
powerblimp is offline Find More Posts by powerblimp
Old Oct 26, 2015, 03:02 PM
Joined Feb 2009
669 Posts
Doesn't the 333 exemption apply to any type of UAV, including blimps?

The biggest problem I see with the 333 exemptions is that they still require the operator to have a pilots license. Doesn't matter if you are flying blimp, quad, helicopter or whatever, and the type of pilots license also doesn't matter. So yes you could file for one and if you waited long enough might even receive it, but if you wanted to play strictly by the rules then the operator would still have to have some kind of FAA certified rating. It's total BS and even more unnecessary than the recent development where they want all RC "drones" registered with the DOT, with "drone" being pretty broadly defined.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by velojym
United States, AL, Lake View
Joined Dec 2014
7 Posts
I'm in agreement with the OP on this: most regulations in existence were enacted in order to protect existing business, especially those with enough presence to lobby effectively. Imagine if the wagon teamsters had the current level of political power to keep horseless wagons off the road!

As for licensing, I've always thought that the FAA should never require a license to operate a type of vehicle unless you're able to do your practical exam IN that vehicle. Being a (former, for now) fixed wing full sized airplane pilot, I can tell ya, the skills only transfer on an intellectual level. I had to re-learn to fly the first time I picked up an r/c transmitter.
velojym is offline Find More Posts by velojym
Old Jan 01, 2016, 03:48 PM
Find More Posts by pegacat
Melbourne, Australia
Australia, VIC, Mount Dandenong
Joined Jun 2013
36 Posts
I had a bunch of dramas here in Aus doing high altitude balloon launches, as the local regs don't allow them at all (you can't fly in controlled airspace without a transponder, and everything over around 12,500 feet is controlled airspace... and I wasn't about to put a couple of kilos and several thousand dollars of transponder on my weather balloon!).

The flip side of this is the local FAA equivalent (CASA) are pretty friendly and if you ask nicely they'll sort out an exemption. (They won't sort it out quickly mind you, but they get there in the end :-) ).

It sounds like general drone rules are a lot looser in Australia than the US though; CASA want you to get a commercial operators licence (but I think sometimes they'll allow the company to register rather than an individual), but as long as you're flying line of sight, and a good distance away from their precious planes they're fairly relaxed...
pegacat is online now Find More Posts by pegacat
Old Jan 01, 2016, 04:13 PM
Joined Feb 2009
669 Posts
I've been making HAB envelopes for guys trying to circumvent the globe while tracking it on google. They are flying up in the 30K to 40K altitude range, flying little solar powered transmitters that must not cost very much because they just keep sending them up and of course never get them back.

Maybe the trick is to launch them from a boat so that you are technically not in Aus anymore when they launch.