HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2013, 11:05 PM
USA, IA, Des Moines
Joined Nov 2010
149 Posts
Help!
Minx or sport jet plans

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find plans for the Minx 300, 400 or 70 mm EJF sport jet? I've done a search but I'm coming up empty.

I would really like to get one of these in the air.

Thanks!
91pilot is offline Find More Posts by 91pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2013, 12:50 AM
Joined May 2007
223 Posts
Google minx edf plans, takes you to traplet publictions, and they have plans for minx 2 edf jet
Carl
CARL SCHIMNOWSKI is online now Find More Posts by CARL SCHIMNOWSKI
Old Dec 03, 2013, 03:59 PM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,807 Posts
Great choice IMHO

Traplet is the way to go: http://www.trapletshop.com/gb/p/12147/minx-mk2

T
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2013, 08:45 PM
USA, IA, Des Moines
Joined Nov 2010
149 Posts
OK, I found it. Thanks for the response!

How big of a fan is used in the plans? I'd like to use a 70mm fan.

Thanks
Old Dec 03, 2013, 09:40 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,239 Posts
Huhhh?
Minx plan is for a speed 300 brushed motor fan Model has a 29" wingspan... sez so right there on the advert page.
Want something bigger? Google: Alpha jet.
Likely you won't even needs pay for the plan download.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Dec 03, 2013, 11:14 PM
USA, IA, Des Moines
Joined Nov 2010
149 Posts
I guess I wasn't clear.

I'm new to electric power and didn't know what size EDF a 300 speed motor is. A search shows a 55-64 mm EDF so I get that now. What I would like to do is use a 70 mm EDF unit like in the EJF sport jet 70 and make it about the same size as well. Are there plans for a larger version or do you just enlarge the Minx MK 2 plans?

Bare, I found an Alpha profile EDF kit that looks cool but no plans.
Old Dec 04, 2013, 03:24 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,807 Posts
Yes - the Minx Mk2 300 uses a 55mm-ish fan. You cut the nacelle from foam, so can size to suit your available unit. The "300" comes from an old brushed(!) Graupner Speed 300 motor being used in the originals homemade fan-unit.

No plans available for the larger 70mm one to my knowledge.

The EJF Sport Jet was basically an enlarged Minx Mk2 300 with a 70mm fan. Not sure it shipped with plans (it was an ARF), so likely no luck there either. Some adjustments to be expected if you simply enlarge the Minx Mk2 plans. It's a very simple design - so completely doable.

T
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2013, 11:02 AM
USA, IA, Des Moines
Joined Nov 2010
149 Posts
Thanks for the explanation T. I called the US office for Traplet and ordered the plans for the Minx MK 2. What I'll do I enlarge the plans for a 70 mm EDF unit. The EJF sport jet had a 39 inch wing span so that is the size I want to build. I've read that the early ARFs had an issue with the wings folding in flight so I'm thinking of cutting wing cores from foam and sheeting them instead. That should hold up much better with the newer, more powerful fan units.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 07:15 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,714 Posts
I would recommend you just build it as planned, its a great flying bird. You can use a wemotec 50mm fan without a lot of mods, the orig had you build the fan from a kit that was made from plywood. With modern batteries and motors (it was designed back when nicads and brushed motors were all there was) it can fly VERY well.

the only precaution I would give you is to give it a good strong level launch, and ease into the power. If you give it a wimpy nose high toss at full power it will get into a nose hi attitude and maybe even do a back flip. I think this has something to do with the thrust line relative to the wing.

Build it light and it will be a pleasure to fly.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Dec 08, 2013, 01:18 AM
USA, IA, Des Moines
Joined Nov 2010
149 Posts
Hello Dave,

I just received my plans today and I'm very happy with the fast shipping from Traplet. I opted for the folded plans to save on shipping but received rolled plans instead. Way to go Traplet!

I will take your advice and build the first one per plans. I can always do a larger one later. I've read through your build thread from 10 years ago (has it been that long?) and will use it as a guide when I build mine. Looks like a homemade foam cutter is in order as well.

The homemade EDF units are interesting but there are plenty to choose from today. I was looking at Don's Wicked Wemotec setup and man, those look fast! Maybe too fast for the Minx. I saw a CS 11 blade 50mm EDF that looks interesting and probably sounds cool too. Realistically, I'd be happy with a light setup, low power consumption (so I can fly for more than a few minutes) and is reasonably fast.
Old Dec 08, 2013, 02:19 AM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,714 Posts
there was a lot of testing done way back then, the hot setup was a razor 300 on 3s or a razor 2500 on 5s. these were very light setups. Since then outrunner motors became the norm. My favorite for duration was the hand made 5 bladed ply wood impeller with the razor 300. That setup could fly for 10 min easy with 1500ma 3s 10c packs and was VERY quiet.

the foam parts are the most difficult part of the design. Use the pink of blue closed cell type foam is is shapes much better than the open cell types. It is also the easiest to damage as it get dented very easy, so careful handling is required after the build. There is no real easy solution to building with out the foam, as it is integral to the interior duct work. The Minx is a master piece in design, done by genius Andy Telzer (think I got the spelling right, its been a LONG time since his construction article).
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Dec 08, 2013, 07:46 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,807 Posts
I have a WeMoTec Microfan + Hyperion Y22L inrunner in my recent, fattened build (link in post #3), and built a wooden nacelle. Doable, but like Dave Morris says, it's easiest to do a foam nacelle. Glass the foam with light fiberglass and WBPU (or epoxy) and you'll get some needed ding resistance too.

It'll scoot along nicely on a Don's Wicked setup

T
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2013, 11:59 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
For foam You can also use Wow Planes liquid sheeting, gives a hard outer coat like glass but easier to apply. Just brush on in several layers(~3) it self leves and is easy to use. There is the usual prep for foam such as spackle and sand smooth, other than that once it cures it is ready to paint.

I have the base product made here in Houston by the name of Styrospray Spray. It performs as noted and there are a lot of people using it. Go to Wow Planes website and see the whole aplication video.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:42 AM
United States, MD, La Plata
Joined Jun 2012
332 Posts
Nice looking jet. I may have to add that to my scratch build hangar.
Icarusdanoob is offline Find More Posts by Icarusdanoob
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:44 PM
USA, IA, Des Moines
Joined Nov 2010
149 Posts
Dave,

I'm so glad you did such a great build thread on this. I stayed up way too late last night reading through it again. It answered a lot of questions but I'm sure I'll still have a few when I start building. Why did you use pink foam on the fuselage and blue foam on the nacelles? What was your AUW? Are you still flying your Minx?

T, you did a great job on your Minx as well. Did you use balsa block to carve your nacelle, wing fairing?

AirX, I saw that product before. There is a thread where people are using it to finish entire airplanes as opposed to glassing it. I'll look into it.

I looked up the Razor 300 and Hyperion Y22L and it looks like they're not available any more. The Wemotec looks like the best quality EDF out there but I would like a whoosh rather than the mosquito buzzing sound. Below are some links to what I'm considering so any advise would be helpful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251307103900...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDF-Plus-HL5...item58a81b75e3

http://www.rclander.com/default.aspx...4-7c7fcf304029