SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:22 PM
India, MH, Pune
Joined Sep 2013
19 Posts
hi!

can you please post the lengths of the pipe cuts please and the diameter of the pipes too.

highly appreciated!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerFrank View Post
OK...so inspired to the nth degree by all your super designs and RC Basher's flying videos, I decided to step outside my comfort zone of lazily flying a Phantom and Flamewheel 450 and started construction on an acrobatic v-tail quad. One trip to Home Depot and $4.00 later, I had the materials. A couple of cuts later, I had the parts in hand, with a quick mock up I'd like to share.

Have the motors, ESC's and spare Futaba rx. Waiting on my KK2.1 board, which should be here any day now. Tomorrow am I'll boil some water and flatten the areas necessary for the motor mounts, and tilt the tail motor mounts to 30 degrees. I'm stoked!!!

LF
saintofinternet is offline Find More Posts by saintofinternet
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:26 PM
India, MH, Pune
Joined Sep 2013
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintofinternet View Post
hi!

can you please post the lengths of the pipe cuts please and the diameter of the pipes too.

highly appreciated!!
hi again!!

is it similar to the following:

http://www.asolof.com/blog/quadcopter-project/
saintofinternet is offline Find More Posts by saintofinternet
Old Dec 15, 2014, 01:44 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintofinternet View Post
hi again!!

is it similar to the following:

http://www.asolof.com/blog/quadcopter-project/

Go for it my friend ,Follow the specs on that link. Get the thin wall 1/2 inch pvc if you can to lower the weight or make a bunch of holes on it.
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tesla 2-PVC Version
Old Dec 15, 2014, 02:05 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jun 2014
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeRC View Post
Congrates Stuart! It looks pretty stable.

I guess I have to post some video of mine flying. I have crashes too, and a magnetic tree... LOL
Yep. And I made some mistakes along the way. I thought I'd try and list them out.
1- Started with 3/4" tw and decided 1/2" would work better with the projected AUW.
2- Mounting fc and pcb board with screws and spacers proved to be an issue with the tolerance for "slightly off" is pretty low.
3- On a 285mm X frame, it might have been better to leave the pcb (w/bullet connects) off and just do the harness thing.
4- I added some sleeving, mainly because I butchered the wires . The escs had 2mm bullets to the motor, but I did a poor job on soldering the bullets to the motors. So I ditched the idea and decided to just solder the wires together.

I decided to add the sleeving after everything was connected so the sleeving is slightly larger then would have been necessary. UV neon so wound probably light up nice.

Then I run into problems twining those thing 24g wires with the 16g esc. Picked up a tip and then fixed that only to have the heat shrink shrink from the heat of the iron. More bloody nonsense. But I digress...

The worse blow was learning that the CCW shafts should be the CW spinners. Stripped head on prop adapter screw so only option would be to resolder. Wouldn't be bad if the wires hadn't been abused as much as they were.

I put a little bit of tape between the prop and adapter to give it some friction and tightened the hex nuts on with a nut driver it stays tight and hasn't moved in a few flights.

Thinking about my next project though and will try something larger.
stuartambient is offline Find More Posts by stuartambient
Old Dec 15, 2014, 02:52 PM
Hubsan X4 Graduate-DIY 350 NwB
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2014
284 Posts
...and will try something larger.

Yea, I think a lot of the problem was the frame size. That's a bunch of stuff to cram into a 280 frame.

...it might have been better to leave the pcb (w/bullet connects) off and just do the harness thing
Agreed, a Q-Brain four way ESC would have saved some space too. It was the only reason I went with one.

The next one will go better. My buddy is building a copy of my Open-X, so all the gear on the Drop-X is being sold. Don't know if I will replace the gear and get the Drop-X flying as I have moved on to building a SpiderHex right now. So the Drop-X frame and decks might be up for sale too.
WannaBeRC is offline Find More Posts by WannaBeRC
Old Dec 15, 2014, 08:10 PM
Lost it again!!!!!
United States, CA, Menifee
Joined Aug 2007
1,139 Posts
Well I put my PVC frame on a diet....It was 621g with landing gear 16"x16"

Now its 13"x13" with no landing gear and 240g....Now I have o figure out how to make light landing gear tall enough to fit my camera underneath.
dirtman is offline Find More Posts by dirtman