SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:11 PM
Joined Oct 2014
15 Posts
Hi Matt,

First of all congratulations for all your hard work. It's been quite lovely to follow this thread.
I do come a little late to the party, but I am entering the boat modeling hobby just now, so I had a couple questions (probably more will come, if you don't mind) on your Who-Doggy.

You say you coated your foam. But I am not sure with what. At one point you mention PVA glue and water, but I think you also put some resin, is that right? What kind and how many coats?

Second question.. how strong did the hull become? I am planning to make a sailboat.. would such a hull keep a drop keel with ballast or would that be too much?

Thanks again for your work!
RcTonyx is offline Find More Posts by RcTonyx
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2014, 09:15 PM
Resistance is futile
United States, FL, Wildwood
Joined Jul 2005
1,170 Posts
Welcome to RC boats! Thanks for your kind words. To answer your question about sealing the foam board... I used clear polyurethane spray paint after sealing the edges with thinned white glue. Please note that you cannot use the spray poly on the foam directly. I used it on the paper covering of the foam board.

I considered making a sailboat with this method at one time also. The issues that caused me to change my mind are these:

1. The weight and side forces involved with the keel will most likely be too strong for the strength of the foam board. The only solution I can think of is to coat the inside AND the outside of the foam board with a minimum of 3 coats of epoxy to add the required strength. Additional support around the keel mounting area can be achieved by epoxying some wood to the area surrounding the mount.

2. A similar situation will occur with the main mast for the mainsail. During a full billow from strong wind, a significant amount of side force will be applied to the mast. This force will be transferred to the deck where the mast is mounted. The foam board will need to be greatly reinforced to handle this leveraged force.
A suggestion that may work for the mast would be to allow the mast to completely penetrate the hull and become seated on a flange mounted to the top of the keel.
Another consideration is the rigging. Most sailboats have rigging lines that attach to the mast and are then attached to the deck to help hold the mast straight under heavy load times. The connection points on the deck will need to be securely attached and have some reinforcing also. A modified version of the rigging ring I used on the cabin top of the Who Doggy may be the way to go. That rigging eye is actually pushed through the foam board and glued into place. It is not just glue on top.

3. I have started using a "folding technique" with the foam board material that will give a more watertight and solid structure for the hull construction. You can see this method in my new thread here in Dock Talk. The title of the new build thread is "EDF powered foam board Hydro-Cat". The construction method I used for the Hydro's sponsons is VERY similar to a sailboat hull design. please check it out as it may give you some good ideas.
Please feel free to contact me with any further questions. circuitfxr@yahoo.com
circuitfxr is offline Find More Posts by circuitfxr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Merry Christmas to all!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:55 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2011
608 Posts
Welcome Tony!

Hey Matt ,I hope you don't mind my butting in here!,.. Yes,Tony foam is more cost effectitive/flexable/unsinkable/and simular build qualities, aspects as balsa,..however you do need to consider the use and "modifify" as nessesary here. SEE my elc. drive boat build of a 'V' hull,which is ongoing, to see the probs n soulutions I've had with this ,my First build ever!..http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2013981 As a heads up in what to expect or look out for in you project.By ALL MEANS, I am not disscourrageing you from trying it, we all learn here from one another!!Try it ,..IF it FAILS misserabley you can always repurpose the gear in another build and have learned a few things on the way as I am doing!!,....Good luck n WELCOME to the famliy!!....HEE-HE-hee-he-hee!!!!,.....Tim...
haxawsnavy is offline Find More Posts by haxawsnavy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vittles!!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 07:33 AM
Joined Oct 2014
15 Posts
Thank you both for the kind welcome!
Unfortunately for the next month or so I'll be quite busy between work and family so updates will be far and in between, but I'll do my best.

I was afraid foam may not be able to withstand all those forces.
Since I would have to do several coating passes anyway, maybe I would be better off fiberglass coating the deck and the hull?

I'll keep reading a bit.

Thanks for the advices so far!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 06:16 AM
Joined Oct 2014
15 Posts
So I've decided I'll start build a Depron schooner.
It's going to be a learning experience, I am sure. Hopefully it will sail, one day.

It would be great if you would check the thread, from time to time. I am sure I could use some of your suggestions: Build Log thread

Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 09:08 PM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,170 Posts
Have checked your thread and this will be a very cool project! Please see my post in your build thread. Happy building and don't forget...I will answer any questions you might have to the best of my ability.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:38 PM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,170 Posts
Seagull mk ii

OK. Been a while since doing something in this thread. hee hee

I have started laying out what will become the new Rogallo glider. (Seagull MK II)
She will be considerably larger and have a much more sturdy construction. Been playing with the idea of using some foam board as extra supports, but I am a bit Leary about how that will affect the performance. May forego that part.

I put the original floats near the new frame to give an idea of just how much bigger the new rogallo will be. The original floats look tiny and totally inadequate for use on this bird. I am thinking of buying a set of foam plane floats already made. This should eliminate any questions about proper shape and size of the floats.

Here are some preliminary layout pics. please remember that this is a general layout and is subject to change. Not in any hurry to get this done, so may be a slow build, but should be an exciting finish when she flys behind the Who-Doggy!

Still waiting for someone else to try this and get a longer, better flight than I did.
Yeah Duncan....that means you! LOL Maybe some of the plane guys will show us how to do it. I just showed that it is possible to do!

Let the new games begin! Lets see some more ideas on this guys and gals.
RCG Plus Member