HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:47 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,993 Posts
Mini-Review
Valenta Thermik XL

Maidened my Thermik XL today . The Thermik is a 4m wingspan mouldie.

Power is an Hyperion glider motor (GS 3032). They have an after-market extra mount with a bearing that supports the rear of the motor (as well as the standard front mount). I really like that.

Battery is a 4-cell 2250 mAh Turnigy Nano-tech 65-130C LiPo. 100A Turnigy ESC, and double UBECS (just in case the 3 - 5 amps isn't enough). Two resistors with alu heatsinks prevent them fighting with each other.

Cranked prop yoke allows the prop blades to nestle closer to the fuz.

(The yellow on the wings is fluorescent: it's funny how the camera just can't handle it...)

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:28 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,550 Posts
Very nice!!
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:43 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2005
5,257 Posts
What is AWU of Your plane?
Thanx.
Yuri
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:51 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,993 Posts
I must weigh her; I'll get back to you on that Yuri!

Chris
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:01 PM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
Very nice Chris, nice installation, very tidy job.

Hope she flys like she looks.
Graham 65 is offline Find More Posts by Graham 65
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:18 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,993 Posts
Thanks Graham !

Chris
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:56 PM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
596 Posts
That's a very nice glider. Glad to see some pictures as I'm searching for a bigger glider for this summer. I'm still deciding between the Thermik XL-E and the Fashionista.

http://www.topmodel.fr/en/product-de...nista-495m-arf

thermik xl-e
http://www.soaringusa.com/Thermik-XL-E.html
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:20 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox View Post
What is AWU of Your plane?
Thanx.
Yuri
AUW is 3.93Kg on my scale! I'm very happy with that ! I chose to go with a bog-standard layup, with no carbon, in order to keep the weight down...

Chris
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:30 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,993 Posts
Today I had a chance to spend a most enjoyable 2 hours "slermalling" with the Thermik, as the wind at the slope didn't come though as hoped (it went all west). After a rather "meh" maiden last week in strongish conditions, today I was able to deploy her as intended (I wouldn't have been able to fly with any other glider today); and I am 600% happier with her .

Floats well enough with camber, and then is able to take off like a scalded cat when switching to reflex. Turns need a lot of rudder (more than any plane I've flown to date - but then I've never flown a RE glider), but that's no problem. It's a keeper (bl**dy relieved about that, as I did a really nice install - even if I say so meself )...

I had to take the "traditional" portraits with Caher Conree stone-age promontory fortress in the background. Fortunately the light was sweeping across in dramatic fashion as it often does, so I was able to grab a good shot. A rain squall down in Tralee Bay also gave me an opportunity for a rainbow shot !
Old Mar 27, 2013, 06:36 PM
United Kingdom, England, Snaith
Joined Nov 2011
3 Posts
Hi Woodstock I have just seen this thread. I have a Thermik xl e which I have never been happy with but have just finished installing the servos in the wing of a 4m Thermik xl with airbrakes. Your thread has convinced me to electrify! Could you post a wiring diagram please as I am unsure how you have wired the two BEC's. Also, did you build in any up/down or side thrust into the motor? Thanks, David
Gliderpilot40 is offline Find More Posts by Gliderpilot40
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:54 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliderpilot40 View Post
Hi Woodstock I have just seen this thread. I have a Thermik xl e which I have never been happy with but have just finished installing the servos in the wing of a 4m Thermik xl with airbrakes. Your thread has convinced me to electrify! Could you post a wiring diagram please as I am unsure how you have wired the two BEC's. Also, did you build in any up/down or side thrust into the motor? Thanks, David
Hi David. I wouldn't really recommend the dual regulator set-up I have, it was employed only because my order for a bigger UBEC was chronically delayed, and I had two smaller ones in stock. I would strongly recommend this unit which I am using without problem in the majority of my gliders (I use LiPo power only in my non-powered gliders): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_Lipoly.html . The same unit is available with a number of different labels. The switch is a "fail-to-on" unit, which is nice.

I did try to build in a smidgeon of downthrust, but no measurements were made, it was just by eye. I don't usually bother much with that, relying instead on mixing elevator or rudder into the throttle control to provide "electronic downthrust".. Funnily enough this plane hasn't needed any of that...

Chris

ps. In what way were you not happy with the glider?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:00 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,993 Posts
Oh BTW, I've settled on a final CoG at 104 mm from the LE. That's a bit further back than the recommended 93 - 98 mm ...

Chris
Last edited by Woodstock 1; Jun 18, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:42 PM
United Kingdom, England, Snaith
Joined Nov 2011
3 Posts
Thank you Chris that's most helpful.
I bought an almost complete airframe that looked well put together until I got it home! I had to reinstall the incidence pegs in both tips and reinstall most of the servos and fuselage control runs. Flying under power was a bit of a handful but my last landing was a bit rough and split the front fuzz away from the boom. On inspection it seems as though it had been put together with a boot full of unnecessary down thrust. I have now completely rebuilt it and hopefully this will restore my happiness! Fingers crossed for some decent weather before Christmas :-)
Gliderpilot40 is offline Find More Posts by Gliderpilot40
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:40 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliderpilot40 View Post
Thank you Chris that's most helpful.
I bought an almost complete airframe that looked well put together until I got it home! I had to reinstall the incidence pegs in both tips and reinstall most of the servos and fuselage control runs. Flying under power was a bit of a handful but my last landing was a bit rough and split the front fuzz away from the boom. On inspection it seems as though it had been put together with a boot full of unnecessary down thrust. I have now completely rebuilt it and hopefully this will restore my happiness! Fingers crossed for some decent weather before Christmas :-)
Oh boy, a bit of a nightmare .. Yes, fingers crossed indeed !

Oh, and welcome to RCG !

Chris
Old Mar 23, 2014, 02:21 PM
Joined Jun 2013
60 Posts
Hello,
buyed a thermik .. a little build log

Installed hyperion GS-3032-08 (29 mm on the firewall side).

Hyperion 3032-08

Just little tight I made an hole to prevent contact between motor and cables.
I decided to use internal fuselage because seems strong enough and firewall is mounted; the outer fuselage is too fragile in my opinion ...
Also installed motor shaft ball bearing rear support ( not glued at the moment)
I will use a turnigy 100 A controller and 4500 mAh 4s or 3600 mAh 3S with 16x8 or 17x8 prop ; it will depends on real consumption data.
I will use 5 turnigy 777 (ailerons, flap, vertical) and turnigy 778 for the rudder servo.
1000 3S lipo with 3A switching regulator for the servo and receiver ..

Waiting for the servos and the speed controlled just some pictures of the set-up ..

bye
flyingmarquess is offline Find More Posts by flyingmarquess