HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:55 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,376 Posts
Idea
Twist and lock wing retention?

Heath Robinson rides again!
Been doing a lot of decorating recently,using an extension pole for high ceilings.They employ a twist and lock system to vary the length.The twist action draws a nut against a plastic sleeve which expands inside the tube.
A tube in the fuselage,left and right hand threads into the wings,twist the tube and the wings are locked in place.The locking action should also draw the wings up against the fuselage.
It's seems such a simple idea,but searching brought no results.I've already posted this in the builder workshop,thought I'd run the idea past you guys.
Regards Stuart.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Hi Stuart,

how do you prevent the system from unlocking by torsion? Or, how do you lock/unlock the system if you have a torque uptaking pin?

Cheers,
Andrés
andrecillo76 is offline Find More Posts by andrecillo76
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,376 Posts
Hi Andres,I haven't gone that far into the idea.To be honest I expected a "that was tried by X years ago" type of response.As I haven't a build using wing tubes in my immediate future I don't intend taking it further at the moment-although a mock up wouldn't be difficult.........
Regards Stuart
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:38 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,871 Posts
Another issue with wing retention is how is performs in a hard nose in crash....which we all do sooner or later. In order to sustain zero damage, the force of impact must be dissipated rather than absorbed by ever increasing structure.

To this end, for a durable glider, I've always favored wing attachment with #64 rubber bands, such as seen on trainers. Works like magic. The wing just pops off.

Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sw-11
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:19 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
Another issue with wing retention is how is performs in a hard nose in crash....which we all do sooner or later. In order to sustain zero damage, the force of impact must be dissipated rather than absorbed by ever increasing structure.

To this end, for a durable glider, I've always favored wing attachment with #64 rubber bands, such as seen on trainers. Works like magic. The wing just pops off.

Kent
Ah - but what if it is just a wing??????
HerkS is online now Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post

Kent
Kent,I was thinking more on the lines of larger scale-Brians VII for example-where a tube and incidence peg are used.I'll have to see if I can find time to mock this up,see if it will work the way I think it may.
Regards Stuart
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:35 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkS View Post
Ah - but what if it is just a wing??????
If there is no fuse....then I'd build a one piece wing if possible.

Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sw-11
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Jul 2012
26 Posts
I think that I'd agree with the one piece idea too, no weight from the join mechanism and the necessary structure to support it. If a two piece wing is required for reasons of transport or storage, then the olde worlde free flight method of ply wing tongues/boxes and light rubber band holding the wings together has much to commend it, will give in a crash - - sorry - - short landing and unless you do megafast axial rolls, is secure.

Trev
Crozzie is offline Find More Posts by Crozzie