HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:58 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,341 Posts
Discussion
Error code.....problem?

I have 2x 4S Revolution (3 years old). I get LOTS of Safety Code 17 and 28 (I have read what the Code designation is), to the point of being quite annoying. It happens on old lipos, abused lipos, and even brand new lipos. Reset the button and it may simply do it again or go on with it's business. Unplug/replug seems to make little difference. Given enough patience and button pushing and it will finally complete the charge perfectly.

I am using short extension wires to minimize the constant plugging wear on the more critical required plugs. Removing the extension and plugging directly into the adapter does not seem to help the problem. If it were limited to the oldest batteries I'd chalk it up to worn connectors but its doing it on some brand new ones I have with the extension or directly into the adapter.

These (various) same batteries put in 2 other balance chargers I have charge and balance fine using the same short extensions.

I know these are very safe and easy to use chargers. I like and recommend them to folks all the time but the Safety Code hassle takes the issue of watching your batteries to the level of hovering over them to hit the damn button until it finishes.

Anything can be done about this?
BTW, it seems looking back it has always been kind of sensitive. I suppose I'm just less tolerant since I have 4+ years of lipo charging experience and have used other chargers that don't have this 'feature'.

Note - it seems to do this with charging. I always storage charge so am starting ~50%. When I storage charge AFTER flying I don't get these Safety Codes.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Last edited by flydiver; Oct 01, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:59 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
I have 2x 4S Revolution (3 years old). I get LOTS of Safety Code 17 and 28 (I have read what the Code designation is), to the point of being quite annoying. It happens on old lipos, abused lipos, and even brand new lipos. Reset the button and it may simply do it again or go on with it's business. Unplug/replug seems to make little difference. Given enough patience and button pushing and it will finally complete the charge perfectly.

I am using short extension wires to minimize the constant plugging wear on the more critical required plugs. Removing the extension and plugging directly into the adapter does not seem to help the problem. If it were limited to the oldest batteries I'd chalk it up to worn connectors but its doing it on some brand new ones I have with the extension or directly into the adapter.

These (various) same batteries put in 2 other balance chargers I have charge and balance fine using the same short extensions.

I know these are very safe and easy to use chargers. I like and recommend them to folks all the time but the Safety Code hassle takes the issue of watching your batteries to the level of hovering over them to hit the damn button until it finishes.

Anything can be done about this?
BTW, it seems looking back it has always been kind of sensitive. I suppose I'm just less tolerant since I have 4+ years of lipo charging experience and have used other chargers that don't have this 'feature'.

Note - it seems to do this with charging. I always storage charge so am starting ~50%. When I storage charge AFTER flying I don't get these Safety Codes.
Hi:

I recommend you get ahold of some contact cleaner, spray every connector down and clean them using a toothbrush to get down inside them really good. Clean all your battery balance connectors, all your adapters, and the connector on the charger. Replace any of these items that you can from time to time as connectors are the first things to wear out. Most customers who follow these recommendations are successful at reducing or eliminating cell count and similar safety codes.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:50 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,341 Posts
I'll try that and report back next battery charging session. Thank you.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver