HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:53 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
577 Posts
Managed to get out to fly at our clubs first funfly of the year. The wind was finally below hurricane strength, where it's been for the last 3-4 weeks. 10-20mph was the forcast, and that's about what we got. Luckily, not gusty nor rough. The Waco handled it very well, even able to almost hover, old fashioned windy type, not 3D type. Take offs were less than 5 feet, mainly because I didn't hit throttle hard, but went up slowly. Landings required flying all the way to roll stop, but handled it well. Even a couple perfect tens! 5 flights on the Waco, altogether. Most it's ever had in one day.
Staggerflyer is offline Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:28 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Aug 2008
19 Posts
Staggerflyer,

Yes, I am concerned about cooling everything, as well. Will probably poke a few more holes in the firewall for good measure. If you needed to let more air out I might try some exit holes in the floor of the cockpits??

I think I have a temp sensor for my telemetry on my DX8 and will probably put it on the battery for the first few flights to monitor what is going on. Perhaps the maiden will be next weekend, weather permitting.

Paul
Paul J. Harris is offline Find More Posts by Paul J. Harris
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:08 AM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
577 Posts
Paul,
Sounds good. Mine wasn't hot, just overly warm, around 110-115 degrees on an 80 degree day after a not overly aggressive flight. After doubleing the opening size, to 6 inches long, my batteries have always come out at maybe 10 degrees above current air temps. Really made a difference. I do have slightly more intake openings than you do, also.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:14 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Aug 2008
19 Posts
Staggerflyer, et al.,

Maiden accomplished today. WOW, what a nice airplane!!!!! Two clicks of nose up trim and one click of right aileron trim and it flew straight as could be, like a hot knife through butter, a testament to Great Planes design and my building skills.

On a scale flight, battery was barely warm. Throw in a loop, roll, and a couple of stall turns and it was noticeably warmer, but I wouldn't say it was hot. I'm using the Rimfire 1.20 and for scale flying I never need more than half throttle, using the Xoar 17 x 8 prop that you recommended. Very difficult to slow it down for landing, so I'm just wondering if you tried anything flatter, like a 17 x 6, and what your results might have been?

When I arrived at the field, today, someone else had a new acquisition that was garnering a lot of attention, as well. It was a glow powered 1/4 scale Extra they had bought used and they were trying to get it set up, they forgot to charge their receiver battery, so set about that. While they were doing that I proceeded with the maiden of the Waco. Then they tried to start their engine. After 30 minutes of effort to no avail I dropped in my second battery and bored holes in the sky with the Waco with the flip of a switch. Some time after I was done, they gave up and took the Extra home. I knew there was a reason I went to the trouble to do an electric conversion on this model!

Paul
Paul J. Harris is offline Find More Posts by Paul J. Harris
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:48 AM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
577 Posts
Paul, Congratulations on the maiden flight! Yes, it is a nice airplane, isn't it.

My battery never gets warm anymore. Just opened the opening in the bottom up about 25% more, and it stays air temp, even after a hard flight. When I cut/opened the monokote, I ironed on a small piece of doubler to strengthen the area. No tears so far. And I have been in the weeds once or twice. That is the only opening I have in mine, no cockpit openings. My Ryan STA-M does use cockpit floor openings, equaling the same area, and it is cool, also. I had to slightly enlarge one to get her cool. Remember, you have a battery sticking up thru your opening, blocking airflow. Either open it 1/8 in. all around, or open a small slit in the rear cockpit, just behind the instrument panel. That's how my Ryan is done.

Landing speed is slightly higher because the prop freewheels, it does not act like an airbrake like it does on a gas/nitro motor. So all you have is airframe drag. With practice, you'll learn to make very nice greasers. You just need to practice making flatter approaches. I learned it by using up two batteries just doing touch and goes, and full stops. A battery will get you a couple dozen. Don't be afraid of the wind, either. Lat time I had her out, the wind went from less than 10 on the first flight, to over 20 by the time I picked up. Had 5 great flights on her that day!. It was our first fun fly of the year. She handled the wind with ease. I could back her up in slow flight. My last landing was the best I've had with her, a perfect 10! Take-offs took less than 5 ft. Loved it.

Enjoy!
Don
Last edited by Staggerflyer; Jun 11, 2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:24 PM
Joined Aug 2008
13 Posts
Do you guys think an e-flite power 90 (1800watts) will work for this plane.
mojoflyer is offline Find More Posts by mojoflyer
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:29 PM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Oct 2006
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoflyer View Post
Do you guys think an e-flite power 90 (1800watts) will work for this plane.
I have the E-flite 110 on 8 cells and have unlimited power, if your 90 can do 1800 watts you'll be fine. BL
BIG LACY is offline Find More Posts by BIG LACY
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:41 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
577 Posts
I agree with BL. The Power 90 won't have unlimited power, but will be more than enough. This plane flies very well on minimum power. A 60 will fly it, but that is getting about absolute minimum.

Don
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:27 AM
Joined Aug 2008
13 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Big Lacy and Staggerflyer, I am considering either the Power 110 or the power 90 but I would like to have the battery hatch in same location as Staggerflyers, without using lead weight in the tail to counter the p110. Vince
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:28 AM
Joined Oct 2006
327 Posts
My Waco needed no weight to balance w/110. See pic's at start of this thread, see report #79,mine is the same as SF's. I only flew it a few times (flew great)before selling her to a fly buddy. I did balance as GP recommended, but didn't try spins etc,so may be nose heavy as Staggerflyer suggests. BL
Last edited by BIG LACY; Jan 09, 2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: add info
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:16 PM
Joined Aug 2008
13 Posts
Big Lacy, wasn't your battery placement in the front seat (as in mail carrier) which was different from Staggerflyers.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:42 PM
Joined Oct 2006
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoflyer View Post
Big Lacy, wasn't your battery placement in the front seat (as in mail carrier) which was different from Staggerflyers.
Originally,yes it was. But it was tail heavy and hard to remove and replace the lipo's. So I changed it to the front as the 1st pics I posted from SEFF. Thats the way the Great Planes demo pilot did his,and it flew very scale like w/1 5cell battery and their 1.20. Staggerflyer did the same install and I copied his setup. I used the E-flite110 and 2 4cell 5300 lipo's in series. more power than needed really, but thats the way I like my planes.BL
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:47 AM
Joined Aug 2008
13 Posts
Thanks for that information, Big Lacy. I'm like you in that I like a little extra power. I will be using the P110 with 2 4 cells. My 60 size Hangar 9 P47 has the hatch just behind the cowl between the firewall and first former with a slide out battery tray and have allways liked the ease of battery removal.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Aug 2008
13 Posts
edit
Last edited by mojoflyer; Jan 11, 2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: double post
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:21 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,116 Posts
Hi all, I've been reading through this thread and would like to say well done to all who have ventured forth in the electric power conversion of this model. I have been looking at this kit which is on sale at a LHS and been thinking about pulling the trigger on one. My question for you chaps flying your Waco's is how much of a roll out is required on landings? My field is short, about 80 feet in length and grass. Would this model be too much for my strip? I fly at home, and unfortunately cannot make the strip any longer. It is satisfactory for all my electrics currently, but this would be a big step up, more in the weight category than wingspan (my E-Flite Beaver is about the same span, and 1/2 the weight). Also, I prefer more scale like flying so overpowering it is not what I'm looking for. The E-Flite power 90 seems like a suitable match, but the cell count is beyond what I can currently charge. Any other good recommendations for about 1200 -1500 watt power options?

Thanks,

Rem
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder