HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:20 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,935 Posts
I use HS65MG, HS85MG and HS5085MG in my balsa planes and in a bad crash I have stripped a few of those. I've also had a few eventually get twitchy.

I use MG14 servos in large foamies because I crash foamies a lot more than my balsa and I expect servos do die occasionally from a combination of crash damage and in-flight stress. MG14 servos are a little over $6 USD with a buddy code and HS65MG servos are about $25 AUD at the best of times and usually closer to say $30. The spare gears for HS65MG servos are about $8-9 USD too, which is more than an entire MG14 servo. I prefer to just rip out a faulty MG14 servo and install a new one rather than mess around changing broken gears. I've done it enough times on my balsa planes that I don't enjoy doing it and sometimes the HS65MG servo is damaged in a way that a spare gear set cannot fix. There are too many servos for me to try, so once I find one that works for me I tend to stick with it. For very small foamies I like HXT500, for larger but still small foamies I like HXT900, for larger foamies I like MG14 and for balsas up to about 49" wingspan I like HS65MG and HS85MG. There are advantages in standardising gear, such as the ability to steal parts from another plane as need be. BTW I have pretty much standardised on Turnigy Plush ESCs since I have found them to be very reliable and the amp ratings are very honest.

Bleary, if you're seeing blowback, it might actually be caused by tightness in the ez connector on the servo arm, the z bend hole on the control horn or the hinge line itself. Make sure all of those are nice and loose. ON one of Nac's planes he was getting poor strength and deflection on his elevator and it turned out to be some CA that was cured with kicker clogging up the hingeline. Once he cleared that he was good to go.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:37 PM
Glue is my friend
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
How about Ball and roller links

Hey Guys I vaguely remember someone talking about ball and roller links
in some posts long ago.
Would they help in reducing some of the stress on these servos
and can someone recommend a size or type that would probably work best on these planes, preferably one available at HK
Thanks
Z
Ziggytzag is offline Find More Posts by Ziggytzag
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:48 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Thanks GJ and Bleary.
I too have pretty much standardised on the same servo list for the same reasons you stated. As I fly the SW Yak almost daily and have had some carnage its probably from that. The epp telink type planes are a lot more flexible on the surfaces on impact so most likely not as damaging to the servo.
Its funny though as the jitters are not stripped gears as such just seems to be a centering issue when connected up.

Like you I'd rather toss in a new MG14 than muck around pulling the servo down for repair.

I've had a pretty good run I think with the MG14's compared to some others, I've had HXT500's strip after one tail touch as with HXT900's as well but usually from more aggressive impacts. Never stripped an MG14 or a HS65MG until my 42" slick went down on new years eve, destroying the fuse and stripping on aileron servo pretty bad.

Frees up 3 HS65MG's for another plane now. I simply can be bothered rebuilding a box of tooth picks.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:51 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,935 Posts
Z,

Personally I don't think that ball links are necessary, since the plastic control horn is flexible enough, the pushrod is flexible enough and if you use a nice thin long CF arm like the ones that bestvaluerc.com sell then even the servo arm is flexible enough.

If you take care when assembling to ensure that your pushrods are on the right side of the control horn and the servo arm, and also make sure that your ez connector spins easily and that your control horn hole is large enough for the pushrod to rotate easily without the hole being so large that there is slop, then you're good to go.

BTW Put your ez connectors on the inside of all servo arms for the best geometry and use the right holes on your servo arms and control horns to get the right geometry and servo end point adjustment (greater than 100% if possible) then it'll all work very well.

If you wish to experiment with ball links, then get some 2mm diameter bolts, washers and nuts from Hobby King as well as their ball links in a suitably small size that matches the size used by EF and 3DHS in their 48" balsa kits. I've used these ball links at times on my balsa planes, particularly to replace faulty ones out of the box! http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8855 You could epoxy some CF rods into them or if you find the right metal threaded rods they will screw right in like EF 48" EXP kits; don't use CA glue if you glue CF rods in the holes! Personally I don't think it's worth the hassle. Feel free to post some pics of your setup and we can recommend some changes if necessary to improve their effectiveness.
Last edited by groovejet; Jan 01, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:39 PM
Glue is my friend
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
Thanks GJ
sounds like I'll use the CF arms from bestvalue
I think I understand that I should check and make sure I have free movement
for 100% or better of travel but I'm not sure what you meant here
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
BTW Put your ez connectors on the inside of all servo arms for the best geometry and use the right holes on your servo arms and control horns
are you refering to a specific hole or orientation or do you mean
test to see which holes on the servo arm and control horn works best?
I haven't started the build yet still waiting on parts ordered and have a few pieces still to order
We are just getting into the heart of our winter here ( so far so good) so I plan on taking my time on this build.
Again Thanks
Z
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:46 PM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
[QUOTE=groovejet;20292951

Bleary, if you're seeing blowback, it might actually be caused by tightness in the ez connector on the servo arm, the z bend hole on the control horn or the hinge line itself. Make sure all of those are nice and loose. ON one of Nac's planes he was getting poor strength and deflection on his elevator and it turned out to be some CA that was cured with kicker clogging up the hingeline. Once he cleared that he was good to go.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the detailed info GJ,the linkage is fine and works well on the ground,it's just when under some stress (downlines/speed etc),I don't seem to have the same deflection.It's a bit hard to tell,so I will check with the camera.
It may well be that my home made servo horn extensions are bending,or even the wire,but I suspect deflection of the EPP is probably the case.
Not a major problem and I think a comparison with my MXS with new servos may be interesting(plus I have some CF long arms coming as well)
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:07 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggytzag View Post
Thanks GJ
sounds like I'll use the CF arms from bestvalue
I think I understand that I should check and make sure I have free movement
for 100% or better of travel but I'm not sure what you meant here

are you refering to a specific hole or orientation or do you mean
test to see which holes on the servo arm and control horn works best?
I haven't started the build yet still waiting on parts ordered and have a few pieces still to order
We are just getting into the heart of our winter here ( so far so good) so I plan on taking my time on this build.
Again Thanks
Z
Z,

Sorry, I was making a quick statement that covers quite a few things.

Mount the ez connectors upside down on the servo arms so that the pushrods pass underneath the servo arms. Run the aileron pushrods between the control horn and the servo as this generally gives a better geometry when the servo deflects, but sometime the z bends on the pushrod are so far off being a right angle that it can actually work better with the pushrod on the other side. The idea here is to reduce the stress on the control horn when the servo is close to fully deflected and changes the angle that the pushrod is at relative to the control horn. Try to use the highest hole on the control horn that you can get away with based on the length of your servo arms. Use the closest hole that you can on the servo arms that still allows you to get somewhere over 100% end point travel if you can.

Using higher holes on the control horns will give better pushrod geometry but only use a higher hole if your servo arm gives sufficient surface deflection.

As a rough guide, using the long CF arms sold by bestvaluerc.com and using the 2nd last hole on those arms, I use the following control horn holes:
2nd hole from the bottom on the ailerons
4th hole from the bottom on the rudder
3rd hole from the bottom on the elevator

The rudder easily gets the desired deflection on the 4th hole, the elevator didn't quite deflect far enough on the 4th hole so it is on the 3rd hole and the ailerons needed to be on the 2nd hole to get the desired deflection as when they were on the 3rd hole the plane didn't quite have enough aileron deflection to stop it torque rolling when hovering.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:25 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
707 Posts
Groove Jet I 've got a slightly off topic question for you, was wondering if you have any experience with the Hokusei models sold on Best Value RC ? and if you do, how do they compare to the skywing products ?

They look to have a very interesting lineup of models that fly fairly well from the videos on the hokusei website ( I do know that a good pilot can make a bad plane look pretty good...hence the questions)

Sorry for going off topic and appreciate any feedback
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Jan 02, 2012, 02:31 PM
Glue is my friend
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
Thanks again GJ
I will give it a try
Z
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:45 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
Pimp my MXS

I decided to pimp my MXS's today.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:48 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Very Noice...the red really stands out.Good job
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
230 Posts
cool paintshemes, nac

.....how many of them does he actually have

nac seems to develop an addiction

regards
3D Peter is offline Find More Posts by 3D Peter
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:05 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
Don't mention (PA) "addiction", bad memories.

I have two new MXS's as I sold my first one.

I just had to have two of the best foamie around, in case I loose one in a tree.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Oct 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nac View Post
Don't mention (PA) "addiction", bad memories.

I have two new MXS's as I sold my first one.

I just had to have two of the best foamie around, in case I loose one in a tree.
epp addiction, of course

loosing one in a tree might be one of few ways to loose this plane, I did some unplanned durability testing again today, nothing special happened, as usual, just bent the gear back into correct position and the fun continued
3D Peter is offline Find More Posts by 3D Peter
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:52 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
Yep, a pine tree attacked one of my balsa's last week.