HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:48 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,565 Posts
There is always _something_ that could be better right?

Maybe this fan is too big for my Jet.
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:14 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Head View Post
This new version without the c-clip notch is much safer as the shaft is the full 8mm (not 6.5mm like it was where the notch is cut). This and the new blades that Tom Cook made (improved blade material) make this the safest version we have sold to date.
No, there is no 'problem' with any version we have produced (we have never had a single fan system come back, and we have sold hundreds of them). We just keep making it better with each new batch. Tom improved the blade material prior to our last batch.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:15 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulicheng View Post
There is always _something_ that could be better right?

Maybe this fan is too big for my Jet.
The rule of thumb is that if a Dynamax was in the plane originally, the electric version is a drop-in replacement with 2/3rd the weight of the batteries (12S/5000mAh packs) being added to the overall weight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:25 AM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
The rule of thumb is that if a Dynamax was in the plane originally, the electric version is a drop-in replacement with 2/3rd the weight of the batteries (12S/5000mAh packs) being added to the overall weight.
Well that's pretty much why I thought this fan would be just fine. From the YA page:

Recommended Power Package: .82 and up Ducted Fan Engine with any 5 1/4" Tractor Type Fan Unit

There are a number youtube videos of this thing flying around with a dynamax/0S .91.
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:29 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
Yep, it will work fine!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:22 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,124 Posts
With the most current version of the XPS system, what is the approx amp draw on 12s installed in a plane with a thrust tube. Looking for a power plant for a Yellow Aircraft Starfire, but dont want a super high amp draw.

Thanks,

Brian
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:16 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,281 Posts
Think ill play it safe

and add a capacitor bank.
Air Head is offline Find More Posts by Air Head
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:56 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
With the most current version of the XPS system, what is the approx amp draw on 12s installed in a plane with a thrust tube. Looking for a power plant for a Yellow Aircraft Starfire, but dont want a super high amp draw.

Thanks,

Brian
I fly my Starfire on 12S most of the time. Peak amperage with 65C/5000mAh packs is about 120A.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,281 Posts
I have the 15Kw system in another Starfire that I will use to set the Guinness record

Care to share some data and let some of the customers of yours in the loop?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:09 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
18S 5000mAh setup, strictly designed for this application with flight time requirements of about 1 minute max - two 14 second passes, take off and land.

I established a category with Guinness World Records called "Fastest Electric Ducted Fan Jet - R/C". I know that a 15S setup with dead batteries (4th high speed pass) does 223.9MPH - flat and level, using a Starfire with no main gear doors and linkages hanging in the airstream. I expect double the power and a fully cleaned up airframe to break the 250MPH mark, but I trying to get as close to 275MPH as possible. I will start flight testing in a month or so, with the record setting event to be early next year.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,281 Posts
Thanks Jim

Is this an off the shelf setup? What sort of numbers are you seeing @18S as far as load and rpm goes?

Thanks

Rick
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:18 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
This is one of our stock fan systems with the winding being off a bit on Kv (about 670 instead of the normal 650).

I did not do a thrust or RPM test for this setup. I will check installed thrust, which is what matters.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Mar 2009
416 Posts
Jim,

What is availability of the Pro2 these days? Turnaround from date of order to arrival?
FliteMetal is offline Find More Posts by FliteMetal
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:41 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
We are currently sold out of fan systems. We have motors built in batches, and it typically takes 2-3 months to get them. The sales of fan systems is very unpredictable. Sometimes we go several weeks without selling a single fan system, and other times we might sell 2-3 a day for weeks straight. So, there is no way to try to stay ahead without investing a lot of resources and considering there is no profit in these, it doesn't make sense to do that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,281 Posts
I established a category with Guinness World Records called "Fastest Electric Ducted

What guidelines do you need to follow