HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2014, 05:53 PM
Joined Jul 2008
13 Posts
Contest
2014 OVSS #7 DARTS Thermal Duration

Dayton Area Thermal Soaring (DARTS) is proud to host a Thermal Duration contest on August 23 and 24, 2014 as part of the Ohio Valley Soaring Series. The event will take place at Twin Towers Park near Yellow Springs, Ohio (See: http://daytonsoaring.org for map details). Contest details include:

Seeded Man-on-man rounds with normalized scoring within flight groups.
Dual launching on non- adjacent winches.
No real time telemetry, variometers, or thermal sensors allowed.
100 Inch landing tapes.

Entry Fee is $25 per day or $40 per weekend for expert pilots, $20 per day or $35 per weekend for Sportsman pilots. Registration 8:00AM pilot meeting 8:30AM flying ASAP following that. Flying continues to 5:00PM Saturday and 3:00PM Sunday. Awards thru 5th place and top sportsman daily, and overall weekend Expert. Vehicles can only be driven on grass for unloading purposes. All parking must be in gravel areas.

Saturday CD: Norman Poti ndpoti@gmail.com
Sunday CD: Jerry Shape jshape@embarqmail.com
Satellite Kid is offline Find More Posts by Satellite Kid
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:53 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
Darts

Dave, Phil and myself will be there this Sat. I am not 100% about Sun, but Dave and Phil may be back on Sun as well.
Cheers
AJ, BSS Lexington
ajbhatta is offline Find More Posts by ajbhatta
Old Aug 21, 2014, 02:46 PM
Joined Sep 2004
92 Posts
AJ glad you are coming. I will be at yours both days. Have not been able to do that before.
jerryshape is offline Find More Posts by jerryshape
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:36 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
Mid-AM

Sounds good Jerry, we will do our best to make it a good one as always
Old Aug 22, 2014, 03:38 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,082 Posts
I wish I could make this contest but sadly this year I will be following along from home. Best of luck to everyone the weather forecast looks amazing.
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Aug 23, 2014, 07:01 PM
Joined Jul 2008
13 Posts
Saturday Results

Patchy fog greeted 15 pilots today at Twin Towers Park. After a short delay, 8 rounds of 10 minute thermal duration were completed in hot conditions, with light winds, but plentifull lift. Chris Lee flew flawlessly and led the event wire-to-wire. Compete results are attached. Weather forcast for tomorow promises a repeat of today's conditions. Join us if you can for another great day of soaring!
Norman

Name: OVSS 23 Aug 2014.jpg
Views: 72
Size: 488.5 KB
Description: DARTS 23 Aug 2014 Results
Old Aug 23, 2014, 07:13 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,082 Posts
Thanks for posting the scores! Wish I could be there with you guys this weekend. Looks like you are having another awesome DARTS contest.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:04 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
To all at the DARTS contest a big thanks for hosting. Congrats to Chris on his win. Always a challenge, but always a good contest. My apologies again to Scott(?) for the mid-air. Hope to see youguys at Mid Am in 2 weeks.
Cheers
AJ
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:42 PM
Joined Jul 2008
13 Posts
Sunday Results

As predicted todays weather was a carbon copy of yesterday. The CD called for 13 minute maxes which provided the opportunity for some low level saves as well as missed maxes. After 7 rounds Skye achieved the top spot separated from Gavin by 35 landing points. Full results are attached.
Norman

Name: OVSS SUnday 2014.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 429.0 KB
Description:
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:07 PM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
645 Posts
I was fortunate to be able to attend two days of the DARTS OVSS contest this year. As usual the competition level was very high both days. On Saturday we had half a dozen out of state visitors including Chris Lee from St. Louis, Missouri, Dave Smith, AJ Bhatta, and Bill from Kentucky, along with Scott Harder and Bill from Toledo helping us get to 14 folks flying. If you've ever seen Chris launch, fly or land his plane you notice an extra level of preparedness and incredible constancy. I got to see a whole lot of his flying because I timed for him quite a bit yesterday and he returned the favor for several of my flights. As usual Chris was generous in sharing his strategy. In this case we discussed the merits of where to fly on the DARTS field with a wind coming from the east. I had seen some folks go to the north and seem to have good luck finding active air over there. However Chris pointed out that flying a little downwind of the field to the west meant the tree line at that edge of the field provided a tripping feature that tends to promote little bubbles of lift stacking there and lifting off. On Saturday Chris employed his strategy expertly and was rewarded with making his time every round. His excellent landings meant after 8 rounds I think he was only about 88 points shy of a perfect 8800 points (don't quote me on the exact numbers but you get the idea). As a result Chris was victorious by a wide margin of several hundred points.

In total on Saturday 9 folks came to fly with all of our out of state visitors needing to return home. Although I missed not having Tom Siler from Columbus put on an awesome series of low level saves as he did on Saturday, Gavin Trussell and Ron Mong added to the Columbus contingent on Sunday. As fate would have it Gavin, Ron and myself each won our first round flights by relatively healthy margins based on flight times and since Jerry Shape had called 13 minute rounds all day Gavin, Ron and I would end up trading flight times and landing points for a the first few rounds. Ron lost a couple/three minutes on a flight and that meant Gavin and I were neck and neck for the lead and runner up. We ended up swapping the lead back and forth depending on who landed better. Although during the rounds it wasn't simple at all to get 13 minutes of air for each person or each flight group, leaving both of us to have to claw out full flights from less than ideal altitudes for several minutes at a time. It was a blast, even though it was hot, and even though both of us didn't feel the greatest for various reasons. In the end I took 1st place by 35 points or so which was only like half a percent better than Gavin's scores after half a dozen rounds.

Thanks again to Jerry and Norm for CD'ing and to the DARTS club for hosting a competitive contest.

-Skye
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:14 AM
S.E. Mi. arm pit of MI
Joined Jun 2004
252 Posts
Well i wanted to say Thank you to the DARTS club for a good contest. It was a good time besides the mid air in the second to last round. Bill and I will plan on doing it again next year. It all depends on the F.A.A. ruling and if I can keep up with Bill Cunningham. again thanks to Norm,Jerry,Chris, and Tom. Hope you guys have a great fall.
Lite2bolt is offline Find More Posts by Lite2bolt
Old Aug 25, 2014, 06:17 PM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
645 Posts
Here's a link to some pictures I took on Saturday as well as altitude graphs of my Sunday flights 1-6 (data for the last flight was not recorded).

https://flickr.com/photos/126793194@...57646810571511
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070
Last edited by skye8070; Aug 25, 2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Correction of days
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:15 PM
S.E. Mi. arm pit of MI
Joined Jun 2004
252 Posts
Thanks Skye
Lite2bolt is offline Find More Posts by Lite2bolt
Old Aug 26, 2014, 01:34 PM
Chris Lee
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Oct 2005
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye8070 View Post
Here's a link to some pictures I took on Saturday as well as altitude graphs of my Sunday flights 1-6 (data for the last flight was not recorded).

https://flickr.com/photos/126793194@...57646810571511
Nice low-level save in Round 3! Congrats on the win.

Chris
lineofsight is offline Find More Posts by lineofsight
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:02 PM
See you at the field
Joined Oct 2006
63 Posts
Congrats on your win Skye!!!!!!!!

I am in Georgia working for a month on an A/V installation job.....wish I could have been there for the contest.

Keep looking up

Karl
Karl Miller is offline Find More Posts by Karl Miller