Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:54 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,691 Posts
Trader Rating: 68
Discussion
New postal rates effective today.

I just went to the post office today to ship a box. The postage I had calculated on Saturday, was void today.

Across the board there are new rates, new terminology, dropped fees, new fees, and increased fees.

Ya might want to double check any quotes you gave someone as of yesterday.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:44 PM
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Sep 2009
134 Posts
Trader Rating: 419
Thanks for the info. I just checked the USPS website and you can no longer print first class parcel mail labels (13oz and below) and parcel post (now called standard post) online. I guess we all have to go to the post office for these services.

Note: It still works through paypal as of the moment, 8:50pm est (they have not updated the current USPS choices yet).
ton2di is online now Find More Posts by ton2di
Last edited by ton2di; Jan 28, 2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:33 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,844 Posts
Trader Rating: 232
Paypal sent out a notice about this on Saturday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paypal
As of January 27, USPS will implement changes to some of their rates and services. PayPal's shipping tools will be updated to reflect these changes. Anyone using USPS to ship should review the changes. For details on the new rate changes, go to USPS at https://www.usps.com/new-prices.htm.

Please review the list of service changes below:

Parcel post will no longer be offered. PayPal customers who attempt to select Parcel Post may experience an error message for a few days until the service is removed.
A new service called “Parcel Select Nonpresort” will replace Parcel Post. This service will be available to PayPal customers within a few months.
Express Mail Service – A signature will now be required when a customer buys additional insurance.
First Class Mail International (FCMI) Package will be replaced by “First Class Package International Service (FCPIS). Shipments to Canada will have free Delivery Confirmation with this service.
Priority Mail – Shipments to Canada using the Flat Rate Envelope or Small Flat Rate Box will have free Delivery Confirmation.
Express Mail International – The default level of insurance included will increase from $100 to $200.

Thanks for being a valued PayPal customer.

Sincerely,

PayPal

I've never been able to print First Class or Parcel Post on the USPS web, so that's no change, I usually do that on Paypal. A bit irritated with Paypal for their continual lagtime with regards to updating their system to reflect USPS offerings. They still don't have an option for any of the regional rate boxes, but I can ship that way for an eBay auction. A couple months to get "Parcel Select" up and running???

Funny thing, looking at the "similar threads" bar below this window, all are rants about the new postal rates in 2007...
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:07 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,967 Posts
Trader Rating: 645
That is funny
Hemi, thanks for the heads up about Parcel Post - hadn't noticed that one, and lame that it'll take so long for PP to get the option again. Glad I shipped out a couple planes on Saturday instead of waiting until today!
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:23 AM
United States, OH, Louisville
Joined Dec 2008
98 Posts
Trader Rating: 75
U.S to canada went up.Usually other than filling out a customs form it was very affordable.a five servos in an padded envelope went for 9 dollars from ohio to british columbia canada.Thats a definate hike in prices.
miller6196 is offline Find More Posts by miller6196
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:39 AM
most exalted one
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Aug 2002
3,574 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
That's what I determined. New and improved with free delivery confirmation and a rate hike. New, free hike!
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:56 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,458 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
Welllll.....it's not like they din't warn us.
Union retirement pensions & bicycle racing teams don't come cheap, ya know.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:33 AM
United States, FL, Williston
Joined Sep 2012
57 Posts
Trader Rating: 34
The cost of doing doing buisness went up too. What does gas cost?
kalikraven is offline Find More Posts by kalikraven
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:37 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
I bet this rise in shipping is only the beginning! Soon it will cost you more than the plane you are buying just for the shipping!. I don't know what retailers will do but I bet the buyer will pay the price in the end. I am sure this will affect sales both here in the classified as well as at the retail level. I bet soon the only way you will be able to buy a plane here on the classified will be local pick up only!. This could really affect the RC business big time!. I am glad I stocked up on all the kits I will ever need for life.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:44 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,967 Posts
OMG! And taxes! Wow. And the inflation is going up, and the oceans are rising, and plastic bags cost 10 cents, and a Big Mac costs $3 now, and AHHHHHH!!!!!! It's all going to drive up the price of life until life costs more than RC planes! We're screwed!!!
Am I being too sensational?!?! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jgalexander; Jan 29, 2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: More exclamation points!!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:28 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,215 Posts
Trader Rating: 90
never seizes to amaze me how the fed always gets thiersjust sent out a pkg to a zip back east, couple weeks ago it was $8.83 now its a $1 + more
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Last edited by lectroglide; Feb 03, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:04 PM
SKY-MOLE HIT HARD GO DEEP
United States, UT, Price
Joined May 2006
460 Posts
Trader Rating: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
OMG! And taxes! Wow. And the inflation is going up, and the oceans are rising, and plastic bags cost 10 cents, and a Big Mac costs $3 now, and AHHHHHH!!!!!! It's all going to drive up the price of life until life costs more than RC planes! We're screwed!!!
Am I being too sensational?!?! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sent 2 motors out today and each box was in the $14 - $15 neighborhood, no parcel post available either, say goodbye to free shipping on parts
gliders is offline Find More Posts by gliders
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:40 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliders View Post
sent 2 motors out today and each box was in the $14 - $15 neighborhood, no parcel post available either, say goodbye to free shipping on parts
Youch! Sorry to hear that. To me, first class USPS is still a screaming deal, with nationwide shipping from $1.69 for 3oz to $3.38 for 13oz. I do my best to fit all my stuff into those specifications to keep things affordable. Between flat rate priority boxes/envelopes, and parcel post, the USPS is keeping me pretty happy.
J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:56 PM
SKY-MOLE HIT HARD GO DEEP
United States, UT, Price
Joined May 2006
460 Posts
Trader Rating: 373
Yeah, unfortunately these were more than 13oz, used First Class for years, hopefully PayPal doesn`t mess with that too.... I think Parcel Post is history though..
gliders is offline Find More Posts by gliders
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:58 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,967 Posts
Ahh, dang. Me too.
RCG Plus Member