SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:50 AM
Australia, VIC, Carrum Downs
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
Yippee!
Ever lost your plane before!?

WELL NOW ITS NOT A PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol anyway enough of the sales guy pitch ha.

I was trolling the internet and found this Bluetooth device that is able to be located via phone app. It might be an ok way to find small foamies in tall grass / forest.

http://www.indiegogo.com/sticknfind

Not sure if itíll be any good, just thought Iíd mention it.

-mdem
mdem is offline Find More Posts by mdem
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:02 AM
Flying, crashing, (re)building
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
165 Posts
While I appreciate the technology, the crux is we really shouldn't be going out of visual if possible. I do understand that sometimes s**t happens however

I've parked planes in trees before but never ever lost one. I got one of those lost-plane alarms from someone but never could get it to work.
Elwood74 is offline Find More Posts by Elwood74
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:33 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,461 Posts
Bluetooth has a range of between 5 - 30 metres (depending on class, conditions, etc etc).

Hope you're not intending to fly too far away
CaseySP is online now Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts again
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:34 AM
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood74 View Post
While I appreciate the technology, the crux is we really shouldn't be going out of visual if possible. I do understand that sometimes s**t happens however

I've parked planes in trees before but never ever lost one. I got one of those lost-plane alarms from someone but never could get it to work.
Isnít so much when you fly out of sight, since this device only seems to work within 50ft, more so people who fly ultra-micros and the wind picks it up and takes it i guess? Its super lightweight so wouldnít ruin COG too much.

Something larger would need a beeper so you could hear it outside of 50ft.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:04 AM
Flying, crashing, (re)building
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdem View Post
Isnít so much when you fly out of sight, since this device only seems to work within 50ft, more so people who fly ultra-micros and the wind picks it up and takes it i guess? Its super lightweight so wouldnít ruin COG too much.

Something larger would need a beeper so you could hear it outside of 50ft.
You could be right but I am very skeptical about anything being able to be carried by a UM. I have 2 PZ UM planes and 1 UM heli (blade mcpx) and none of them could really carry much. I think I was able to get the heli to carry a small blob of blu-tac and that was it.

Having said that, if it the device only weighed 1 or 2g it might work... Seems like good technology either way.
Elwood74 is offline Find More Posts by Elwood74
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:11 AM
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
well depending on model, by no means am I saying this is fantastic, just thought it was interesting and note worthy lol.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:15 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
861 Posts
well try finding a 120 size funtana in 6 foot high lantana. it not as easy as it seems. took three days straight searching
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:02 PM
Melbourne
Joined May 2004
1,709 Posts
These work well

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Buzzer_.html
excelpoint is offline Find More Posts by excelpoint
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:26 PM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
611 Posts
Anyone who has done slope soaring or Dynamic soaring will recognise how valuable a bluetooth signal could be to find your plane. Very easy to loose your plane in bush/grass/trees on a slope, you usually have a fairly good idea of where it went in and a lost plane buzzer definately helps when its gone in hidden under grass or bushes. But often with wind noise on the slope you have to be within 5-10 meters sometimes to hear it.

So a bluetooth system would be gold for slope flyers.
+1 for the HK buzzer also.

thanks for the bluetooth link.
cleansurf2 is offline Find More Posts by cleansurf2
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:19 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2008
166 Posts
Mdem thanks for the info. I lost a plane last month even with a lost model alarm fitted. Our field is cut out of the bush and is almost impossible to walk through. I,m sure I was well with 100feet of my model but couldn't find it.
AMcC is offline Find More Posts by AMcC
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:59 PM
knee ligaments are over rated
Melbourne , Outer East .
Joined Dec 2003
2,571 Posts
I`ve lost planes before , but of all the things I`ve lost I miss my mind the most .
dingo is offline Find More Posts by dingo
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:23 PM
Joined Jan 2004
247 Posts
Hi Folks

This thing reads good BUT: Who is going to fork out for a pack of 4 at about $50 delivery in March?

The dimensions of the thing is 24mm x 4mm The cr2016 battery is 20mm X1.6.

This does not leave much room for electronics inside a case even using a very thin printed circuit board and surface mounted devices. SMDs in the trade. They are all those tiny little square things you see in todays RC gear.

Some photos show a round thing while others show a tag to attach it to a key ring.

I need to be convinced so prove me wrong.

Cheers (Skeptic) John Quigley
Aussie John is offline Find More Posts by Aussie John
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:49 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2008
166 Posts
I'm hoping to split the cost with some fellow club members. If we go ahead I'll report back
AMcC is offline Find More Posts by AMcC
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:57 PM
melbourne, australia
Joined Feb 2009
125 Posts
Have lost a glider-Albatross-some years ago. It went down about half a kilometre away and
I could not for the life of me find it. It was lost in waist high grass with a southerly blowing.
A few weeks later I was driving past the same area and saw the tail of the Albatross above
the grass. A northerly was blowing. The unit was no worse the wear and it flew happily for
some time. Nowadays you can get all sorts of electronic dodads to find your aircraft, but not
back then.
glidealf is offline Find More Posts by glidealf