Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosglider View Post

Just my $0.02

Edit: Just compared these specs to my similar sized Blue Arrow D05010MG's I have in my Alula Evo, and these have 3 times more torque!!! Wow!
See: http://www.servodatabase.com/compare?servos=135,2059
I had the Vigor/Eurgle slim servos like the HK linked above in my Alula and the plane was not flyable due to the servos very poor resolution. Dropped in a set of the DSM44s, and it now flies great.

Those Vigor servos were intended for robotic toys, not for aircraft.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:25 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
796 Posts
Ordered (fingers crossed) Should be faster than from H.K.

Kerry
Helitime is online now Find More Posts by Helitime
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:34 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
796 Posts
I have read here about something that tells how high the launchs etc are going. One of them could be read on the spot. Can anyone direct me to where to find shuch a gizmo???

Thx Kerry
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:49 AM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
I have read here about something that tells how high the launchs etc are going. One of them could be read on the spot. Can anyone direct me to where to find shuch a gizmo???

Thx Kerry
http://www.wingedshadow.com/howhigh.html

Get the HowHigh for inside the plane and the SeeHow to record your last 10 peak altitudes. Works great.
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:57 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Wayne is right
the eugle servos have BAD centering, not so-bad resolution, but no-no for a DLG.
I got his digital servos, much better, and (so far) they center well and REPEAT, which is important ...
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:19 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoarthenland View Post
http://www.wingedshadow.com/howhigh.html

Get the HowHigh for inside the plane and the SeeHow to record your last 10 peak altitudes. Works great.
Thank you sir, just what I had in mind.

Kerry
Last edited by Helitime; Oct 10, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:53 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
679 Posts
I have the howhigh unit, it is ok for one max read, but it is a bit primitive.
When I bought my Cam height limiter for ALES competition I also bought RAM3 from soaringcircuits.com, much better gismo, gives me a graph of whole day flying, it is not instant unless you bring laptop with you, but seeing your entire flight helps you learn what you are doing up there. 2.5grams for the whole unit.
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:09 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoyenny View Post
Wayne is right
the eugle servos have BAD centering, not so-bad resolution, but no-no for a DLG.
I got his digital servos, much better, and (so far) they center well and REPEAT, which is important ...
When you are reading reports on servos, I always take them with a grain of salt, I have 10 of those Vigor metal gear servos from HK I bought year ago, all center well and are very strong, I guess I got a good batch, I have seen bad reports on d47's also, so I guess there are good and bad in all batches, they are all made in China no matter what anyone claims, maybe just not assembled there. I have 2 in Alula for a year, flies great, I have imbedded 2 in Easy Glider Pro tail, perfect service till now. And yes HK sell some horrible servos, mileage may vary!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:33 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Quote:
mileage may vary!
Yep, I've got some BAD hitec servos ... and some really good ones, it all depends how the Chinese person putting them together felt that day ...
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:45 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
I have the howhigh unit, it is ok for one max read, but it is a bit primitive.
When I bought my Cam height limiter for ALES competition I also bought RAM3 from soaringcircuits.com, much better gismo, gives me a graph of whole day flying, it is not instant unless you bring laptop with you, but seeing your entire flight helps you learn what you are doing up there. 2.5grams for the whole unit.
Someday I'll get something with whole flight graph too. I use the How High for only one reason...tweaking plane settings and my technique for launch height practice. The instant feed back is nice and you can look the rolling list of your last 10 launches.
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:28 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
679 Posts
I never had the SeeHow unit that would make it more usefull, perfect for what you were using it for, height launch. I still have mine howhigh, I may use it for that myself.
The great thing about the graph from the RAM 3 is, if you study it carefully you can see how fast you climb, to what heights in the entire flight you got, but more importantly when thermaling you can see if you guest correctly about reading air, did you really climb or was it optical illusion, when you stall, how much did it cost you, did the circling you did in the thermal gain you height or not?.............Very useful tool in learning to thermal. Of course flying DLG , much lower, you can see much better what it does so it is less important but I am usually over 1000 ft and there is lots of guessing at that height and higher.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:51 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
796 Posts
My servos shipped within the hour.
My "how high" +"see how" have also shipped.
I looked at both units (how high/ram3) and it was the "instant reading" that I was after. The graphs are impressive and usefull. But as a newbie I want to work on the launchs.

Thanks guys
Kerry
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:03 AM
born again slope junkie
warrnambool vic australia
Joined Sep 2009
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Shipping to Australia is showing as $5.41, and typically takes about 1 week. So they would work out to about US $10.60 each. (Price is lower when you buy 4 at a time.)

-Wayne
thanks wayne , will think about and let you know soon ( sounds good)
Dave
dingb is online now Find More Posts by dingb
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:08 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
I own an OpenAltimeter and I love it with it's instant feedback on launch height and max height plus all the graphs and post-flight data collection; but they're not in production currently. Someone in the states is working on getting the production ramped back up, but who knows when that will be. Take a look: http://openaltimeter.org
And the RCG thread on the OA: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1342829
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:27 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
679 Posts
To be fair, I ordered some of these myself to compare with what I now have, always on a lookout for good servos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
They are not near the quality of a D47 or the Power HD DSM44 servos. The HK servo has a huge dead band and poor centering, and should only be used for crude work, and they do not provide the numbers stated.

How about a digital, metal gear servo with a coreless motor for less money than the D47 or the HK servos?
http://www.alofthobbies.com/dsm44.html

These little servos rock in the Topsky and other DLGs.

Did I mention they are in stock, in the USA and we have FAST and affordable shipping on them, including international? If that is not enough, if you are not happy with them for any reason just return them for a refund.

Yeah, we like these servos that much!

-Wayne