Find More Posts by FaithfulBurger
Don't trust the milk
Israel, ת"א
Joined Jan 2015
170 Posts
Discussion
Parallel charging on the Accucel 6

Hi.
I have the Accucel 6 and a simple multiple ends parallel cable to charge my batteries (1S).
Now when I am about to charge the batteries, is it supposed to give any indication that it detects multiple batteries? Or cycle the screen with information between the 2 batteries? And how will I know when both of them are fully charged?

Basically, I need a quick explanation on how to charge multiple batteries and how to manage with the charger interface. And I already know that the voltage should be the same and the current will be related to the amount of batteries I am going to charge.

And while im at it, another quick question: is there any way to check the battery's voltage and current capacity in the charger before I charge it? in other words-in case I forget if my battery is charged or not, can I know from the charger if I should charge it?

Thanks for the help.
FaithfulBurger is offline Find More Posts by FaithfulBurger
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:23 AM
Find More Posts by slipstick
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,349 Posts
With a parallel connection the charger knows nothing about multiple batteries. What it sees is one battery with the combined capacity of all the parallel batteries. When "it" is charged that means both/all are charged. Because they're in parallel it's really not possible for one to be charged without all of them being charged.

I can't remember if that charger will show you the VOLTAGE of a battery just by plugging it in. Some do. But you can certainly check with a multimeter and you'll need one of those sooner or later. With lipos, knowing the voltage gives you an excellent idea of the state of charge.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:34 AM
Don't trust the milk
Israel, ת"א
Joined Jan 2015
170 Posts
having high voltage necessarily means high capacity?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:40 AM
Find More Posts by BigBadDogg
United States, MI, Wyandotte
Joined Dec 2014
819 Posts
Faith . ur answer is NO

and That charger will only show batterys voltage when charge cycle begins..
Get a simple led cell checker . you will have to make a cable to go from balance leads to ur batterys plug . make sure it will do a SINGLE CELL. but a VOM is good
BigBadDogg is offline Find More Posts by BigBadDogg
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:49 AM
Don't trust the milk
Israel, ת"א
Joined Jan 2015
170 Posts
the answer to my last question is no? (high voltage)
I learned some basic electronics and electric circuits but I can't understand why its so important to know the battery's voltage instead of it's capacity, and what is the connection between the voltage and the capacity in the battery?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:26 AM
Joined Dec 2014
819 Posts
Here read this might help.. lipo batterys are voltage sensitive .most can not go past 4.20 volts a cell when u do u damage the electrolyte and it can cause damage . be it a Fire or less..
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos
http://www.maxamps.com/lipo-care.php
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulBurger View Post
having high voltage necessarily means high capacity?
Quote:
the answer to my last question is no? (high voltage).
I learned some basic electronics and electric circuits but I can't understand why its so important to know the battery's voltage instead of it's capacity, and what is the connection between the voltage and the capacity in the battery?
The voltage of a battery is an indication of it's State OF Charge (SOC). This can be expressed as a percentage. For a LiPo cell 4.2V = SOC of 100%, 3.85V = SOC of 50% and 3.0V = SOC of 0%. But those values say nothing about the capacity. If the battery were new then they quite likely represent the capacity. However as a battery gets old then the capacity diminishes.
So 50% of a new 3S 2200mAh LiPo would be 1100mAh. However an older 3S 2200mAh LiPo may only be able to muster 1800mAh so 50% of that battery would be 900mAh.

The way to determine the capacity of a given battery is to charge it to 100%, discharge it to 0% and note the mAh removed. Then charge it back to 100% and note the mAh added. That is the capacity.

Please, when referring to a battery, always provide the cell count, mAh, and chemistry. That way everyone knows exactly the battery you are talking about.

BTW if you have not already done so I recommend you read this:
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:10 PM
Don't trust the milk
Israel, ת"א
Joined Jan 2015
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
The voltage of a battery is an indication of it's State OF Charge (SOC). This can be expressed as a percentage. For a LiPo cell 4.2V = SOC of 100%, 3.85V = SOC of 50% and 3.0V = SOC of 0%. But those values say nothing about the capacity. If the battery were new then they quite likely represent the capacity. However as a battery gets old then the capacity diminishes.
So 50% of a new 3S 2200mAh LiPo would be 1100mAh. However an older 3S 2200mAh LiPo may only be able to muster 1800mAh so 50% of that battery would be 900mAh.

The way to determine the capacity of a given battery is to charge it to 100%, discharge it to 0% and note the mAh removed. Then charge it back to 100% and note the mAh added. That is the capacity.

Please, when referring to a battery, always provide the cell count, mAh, and chemistry. That way everyone knows exactly the battery you are talking about.

BTW if you have not already done so I recommend you read this:
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

Glen
So 4.2V = 100% of the capacity it can hold at the time?
And about discharging, I heard that its dangerous to go below 3.3V. How does the discharge mode works? (just basic,quick explanation)
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:10 PM
Joined Dec 2014
819 Posts
NEVER EVER Discharge a lipo to Zero percent only a fool would recommend this as it will Kill the battery.. Thanks GG for re posting a link I have already done.

Never take a lipo below 3.25 volts as most chargers can not recover them at that voltage let alone Zero volts ..

try and stay at 3.45 volts under load . then when removed from load it will recover to a Norm. of 3.65+ volts..just bad to recomend a zero or 100% discharge to test capacity.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:50 PM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,802 Posts
Quote:
So 4.2V = 100% of the capacity it can hold at the time?
And about discharging, I heard that its dangerous to go below 3.3V. How does the discharge mode works? (just basic,quick explanation)
Dangerous? No. Usually done? No again. But you wanted to know the capacity and that will give it to you. Yes, 3.3V is about as low as you should go normally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadDogg View Post
NEVER EVER Discharge a lipo to Zero percent only a fool would recommend this as it will Kill the battery.. Thanks GG for re posting a link I have already done.

You are welcome. Looks like you posted while I was composing.

Never take a lipo below 3.25 volts as most chargers can not recover them at that voltage let alone Zero volts ..

try and stay at 3.45 volts under load . then when removed from load it will recover to a Norm. of 3.65+ volts..just bad to recomend a zero or 100% discharge to test capacity.
I am so terribly sorry. I promise to never do it again.
Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1