Find More Posts by peterswolf
United States, FL, Ruskin
Joined Apr 2012
1,113 Posts
Discussion
E-flite UMX PT-17 with AS3X BNF

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...x-bnf-eflu3080

Teaser:
E-Flite® UMX™ PT-17 Ultra Micro Biplane (2 min 16 sec)

Chuck's Unboxing:
E-Flite's UMX PT 17 Un- Boxing with ChuckT......... (6 min 33 sec)

Chuck's Maiden:
E-Flite's UMX PT 17 The Maiden With ChuckT (4 min 17 sec)

Overview

An American Aviation Treasure

Built by the thousands to train pilots for the U.S. Army during WWII, hundreds of the PT-17 biplanes still fly. Many served as crop dusters and were given radial engines that doubled their horsepower. Not just tough, its well-mannered flight characteristics helped make it a general aviation treasure that’s a popular sight at air shows around the world.

The E-flite UMX™ PT-17 is modeled after the beautiful PT-17 owned by Pat Hartness, founder of the Joe Nall event held at Triple Tree Aerodrome, in South Carolina. Fully assembled right out of the box, you can be ready to fly in the time it takes to charge the battery. From the distinct outline to the cylinder fins on the dummy radial engine, scale detail can be seen throughout. The result is an impressive looking model that offers full four-channel control for great handling on the ground and the maneuverability to perform scale aerobatics.

The advanced AS3X® (Artificial Stabilization – 3-aXis) system built into the Spektrum™ 6-channel ultra micro receiver is what helps give the UMX PT-17 an incredibly solid look and feel in the air. It’s technology that works behind the scenes to help counter the effects of wind and turbulence by combining 3-axis sensing with exclusively tuned flight control software. As a result, your workload to fly smoothly is significantly reduced while control feel is always rock-solid so you can make maneuvers like low and slow passes laser-straight. It’s an impressive flight experience that will have you feeling like you’re at the controls of an expertly-tuned airplane that’s much larger.

All you need to start flying the UMX PT-17 as soon as possible is a 4+ channel transmitter with Spektrum DSM2®/DSMX 2.4GHz technology.

Key Features

•Advanced AS3X® technology delivers rock-solid handling
•Proportional four-channel control
•Modeled after the full-scale PT-17 owned by Pat Hartness
•Realistic-looking radial engine detail
•Industry-leading Spektrum™ DSMX® 2.4GHz technology
•Ultra micro linear servos (installed)
•150mAh 1S 3.7V 25C Li-Po battery (included)
•USB 1S Li-Po flight battery charger (included)
•Ultra-lightweight, fully assembled airframe

Needed To Complete

•4+ channel transmitter with Spektrum DSM2®/DSMX 2.4GHz technology
peterswolf is online now Find More Posts by peterswolf
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by peterswolf; May 01, 2015 at 06:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2015, 04:36 AM
Find More Posts by richos
Joined Mar 2008
530 Posts
Lol At last.
richos is offline Find More Posts by richos
Last edited by richos; Apr 02, 2015 at 04:54 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2015, 06:30 AM
Find More Posts by Speedy Gonzales
Joined Nov 2012
187 Posts
Hard to believe

I see tons of vertical here and endless loops. But this is 1s.

Someone to tell me I am still awake.

What is the weight of that beauty?

Ok. I have seen the video again. The prop is gigantic and probably with very little pitch. So this is all for thrust, not speed.

Nevertheless I am amazed.
Speedy Gonzales is offline Find More Posts by Speedy Gonzales
Old Apr 02, 2015, 06:59 AM
Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
Unregistered User
United States, LA
Joined Apr 2014
1,777 Posts
Noooooo it's 1S....
Eagle2Nitro is online now Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Youtube Channel
Old Apr 02, 2015, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
902 Posts
Yay and darn at the same time. I guess I'll say 'don't knock it till you try it', but 1S takes it down a lot...

Anyways, the open cockpit opens up possibilities for FPV!
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Apr 02, 2015, 07:42 AM
Find More Posts by oscarmok
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2013
551 Posts
When is it available? And what's the price?
oscarmok is offline Find More Posts by oscarmok
Old Apr 02, 2015, 07:56 AM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
902 Posts
The price is $99, which is pretty standard for the 1s warbirds. A good estimate is 3 or 4 months down the road.

Horizon, bring in a 2s line and you'll get so many more customers!
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Apr 02, 2015, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by Ricomon
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
677 Posts
I guess I'm one of the rare few happy that it's a 1s. I prefer slow, scale flying. I don't think it needs any more performance. ...but that's just me. I know most people like to tear up the sky with a scale plane. I think it would be nice if they offered their micros in 1S brushed and 2S brushless versions to keep us all happy.

Rick
Ricomon is online now Find More Posts by Ricomon
Old Apr 02, 2015, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by oscarmok
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2013
551 Posts
I like it slow and scale. Perfect for indoor school gym flying in winter time.
oscarmok is offline Find More Posts by oscarmok
Old Apr 02, 2015, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by MileHighTakeOff
Joined Jan 2012
102 Posts
Didn't see that one coming...
MileHighTakeOff is offline Find More Posts by MileHighTakeOff
Old Apr 02, 2015, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by GradyLee
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
2,090 Posts
Usually I'd prefer 2S, but as it happens I've been looking for a replacement for a well-worn Night Vapor to fly in our cul-de-sac and backyard; I'd even been looking at Tower's discontinued Tiger Moth, as I wanted a 1S biplane. So, count me in on this, especially as a 4-channel!
GradyLee is online now Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Apr 02, 2015, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by jwman
Chillicothe, OH
Joined Mar 2008
277 Posts
There goes another 100 bucks out of my pocket!
jwman is offline Find More Posts by jwman
Old Apr 02, 2015, 11:06 AM
Find More Posts by eli5539
Western New York
Joined Dec 2007
1,219 Posts
I love it
eli5539 is offline Find More Posts by eli5539
Old Apr 02, 2015, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by bhoov128
John 20:1-18
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
11,048 Posts
RCgroups:

It's 1S omg nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooo

U cant hav fun with 1s plaen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me: sign me up. I really like all my little 1S warbirds. Sunset patrols are badass.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Apr 02, 2015, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,596 Posts
Another warbird I asked for in the wishlist thread!

I'd have preferred a 2s bl UMX version because 2s bl is so much more efficient than 1s brushed - and because bl motors last for many hundreds (if not thousands) of hours with zero reduction in power output. And also because all of the 1s brushed WWII fighters are extremely underpowered & can't even do scale maneuvers - such as huge, round loops, vertical rolling zoom-climbs, or vertical scissors.

However - after watching the demo video, it's apparent that this bird has no trouble doing nice, round, scale-sized loops from level flight - without having to rely on non-scale high speed to make it over the top!

I'm wondering how they pulled that off - given that the parts listing shows the same 130mm x 70mm UM prop they've used for years, along with the shorter 8.5mm motor that's used in the F4U, P-51, and T-28. It also has the same gear-ratio. And at an AUW of 48g, it's actually a bit heavier than the WWII fighters. Hmmm.....

As long as it has sufficient grunt to perform John Mohr's world-class, record-setting aerobatic routine that he used to do in his bone-stock, 220 HP, two-aileron Stearman, I'll be happy! John did things with his bone-stock Stearman that the guys who fly 600 HP quad-aileron Steramans can't do. His plane doesn't even have an inverted fuel-system, so the engine quits whenever he does zero or negative-G maneuvers, and then restarts when the Gs go positive again. Whenever John went up to do his routine, ALL of the other airshow pilots would stop what they were doing to watch him fly. He has won every aerobatic award in the world, and was considered by his peers to be the best stick-and-rudder pilot on the circuit - right up there with the likes of the legendary Bob Hoover.

He's also a fellow Minnesotan. I had the pleasure of meeting him & going up in his Stearman for an aerobatic flight back before he got famous for his routine. (Yes, we even did the negative-G, engine-out/flaming restart stuff! ) From that point on - whenever he performed in Minnesota, I made a point of attending the airshow. He retired from the circuit a few years ago. Fortunately, plenty of videos of his jaw-dropping routine exist.

Some of you may not grasp the significance of his show - given the number of insanely-overpowered aerobatic planes today that have so much power & such huge control surfaces that they can do 3D RC airplane tricks with ease.

While watching this, remember that his plane is bone-stock. Top speed is only 135 MPH, and it has a power-loading of just 11 lb/HP. To put this into perspective - a FULLY-LOADED C-47 has a higher power-to-weight than John's Stearman!!

2012 NAS Oceana Airshow - John Mohr (13 min 25 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker