closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:40 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
The decals come of the hull pretty easily. You can try a hair dryer - using caution not to get the sails to hot. I have used a hair dryer to soften the decals adhesive, so I can peel it off.

I didn't mind the stuff on the sails, but suggest to Megatech they might be a bit decal happy. "Less is more" as the saying goes.

Boomer
Agree, thanks. Will try the hair-dryer. Of course will wait until the season is right in case this new adventure fails to pan out. If then I decided to sell them leave them on.

Phoebe at sailRC mentioned she was busy with new shipment, maybe the 2011 stuff? They are still advertising bare boats at $141 + S&H. FN radio equipped at $169 + S&H.

SS
Skyshaker is offline Find More Posts by Skyshaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:45 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
Skyshaker
Good info. I like to support Steve whenever I can. He does a good job for his customers and that is certainly a fair price.

I was hoping to find a nice "previously owned" boat but the ones I have found turned out to be, less than hoped for. I'd make this fellow an offer, but don't want to offend him. Plus, he has not posted any photos for any one that might have and interested to see the condition of the boat.

I remember when Wrathchild, was looking for a boat last year, and a few of us provided some insights for him. I have sent him a few PMs encouraging him to post his ad in the Classified, but I have not seen an ad posted yet.

He was so excited to get one, it is sad he's not been able to enjoy sailing it. I submit, while it is great fun to sail with others, it is also enjoyable sailing solo.

I can spend hours sailing by myself, enjoying the scenery, the fresh air and working on improving my skills as "skipper". It is similar to golf, in that golf is really playing against the course, as it is in sailing. You play against the conditions nature is providing on that day.

Racing is great fun, but to be good at it takes knowing the rules, and practicing.
On the lake I regularly sail on, we have put in buoys, so with, or without having sailing buddies to practice with, I can practice on my own. We often change the course so we/I don't to get accustomed with one set course or the wind conditions that prevail for a single race course.

On some of our runs, we can fly to the next buoy, and on other parts, it can be like watching turtles racing to a buoy, which can be the most challenging part of the race.

I posted a couple photo of my home lake. We call this "Mirror Lake", and is one of 5 we can sail on without getting beaned by golf balls. I think of this place and my boats as my decompression chamber.

I liament, sorry.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 24, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:59 AM
Joined Dec 2006
78 Posts
Crash,
Our small group of eight Nirvana sailors have been wondering about the previous sail number registration system. Six of our clubs Nirvanas were bought and registered thru Steve at SailRC. However, a recent visit to the Montgomery Model Boat Club site [http://www.orgsites.com/al/montgomer...b/index.html]; a great site; indicates that two of their registered sail numbers match two of ours (#57 & #87).

So, just to see how big this problem may be, here are our "Registered" Nirvana Numbers:
# 57 - B Good
# 80 - CU BYE
# 86 - Pumpkin
# 87 - Gum Drop
# 89 - Name Pending
# 93 - " "

Are there other duplications out there??? We can only Hope that the new Class secretary will have the 'old' records or an idea how to fix the registration problem. However, I doubt I can convince all our informal group to join AMYA to get a registered #.

Cap'n I. B. Narly
AMYA 16899
R. Nordeck is offline Find More Posts by R. Nordeck
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:25 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Nordeck View Post
Crash,
Our small group of eight Nirvana sailors have been wondering about the previous sail number registration system. Six of our clubs Nirvanas were bought and registered thru Steve at SailRC. However, a recent visit to the Montgomery Model Boat Club site [http://www.orgsites.com/al/montgomer...b/index.html]; a great site; indicates that two of their registered sail numbers match two of ours (#57 & #87).

So, just to see how big this problem may be, here are our "Registered" Nirvana Numbers:
# 57 - B Good
# 80 - CU BYE
# 86 - Pumpkin
# 87 - Gum Drop
# 89 - Name Pending
# 93 - " "

Are there other duplications out there??? We can only Hope that the new Class secretary will have the 'old' records or an idea how to fix the registration problem. However, I doubt I can convince all our informal group to join AMYA to get a registered #.

Cap'n I. B. Narly
AMYA 16899
I'm not sure what the answer is but if you only look at the last 2 digits there is only 99 possibilities... which means reusing the same last 2 numbers over and over. I know my boats have 3 digits but only the last 2 are displayed on the sails. I think the odds of 2 boats sailing anywhere at the same time, with the same sail number is fairly remote....and then chances are, even if that happens....you will be able to tell them apart.

Boomer1...I agree....I've sailed by myself many times and always enjoy it.

Wrathchild...when Mr. Leathers gets back from his vacation down in gatorland....contact him one on one and see if he would meet you on a Saturday to sail, if not, go do it by yourself and you may get others interested.

Crash
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:14 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Skyshaker
Good info. I like to support Steve whenever I can.

I can spend hours sailing by myself, enjoying the scenery, the fresh air and working on improving my skills as "skipper". It is similar to golf, in that golf is really playing against the course, as it is in sailing. You play against the conditions nature is providing on that day.

I posted a couple photo of my home lake. We call this "Mirror Lake", and is one of 5 we can sail on without getting beaned by golf balls. I think of this place and my boats as my decompression chamber.

I liament, sorry.

Boomer
Very Much agree, due to health I had to give up G*lf, it was a swear word when I did. Enjoyed the photo's, beautiful lake, looks very accessible. Love the scenery there in So Cal.

Original thought was the relaxation of sailing, then after review of boats, my thoughts became including son and G-son. I still hope too. My lake here almost requires a retrieval boat, but have a 12 foot jon boat with 40 lb troll motor that is easy to launch and retrieve.

Will share photo's when I'm able.

Thanks Crash for the sail registration info, I filled out Steve's registration form for the first boat, not response, will ask him when I go to fill out the second.

Thanks all for patience and advice, this is a great place to learn and enjoy.
SS
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:18 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
Skyshaker
I have couple of RC boats I can use as recovery boats, but I rarely have had to use them. The most recent occasion was last summer, when a sailing buddy got his keel hooked on some lake "smang" (unknown growth coming up from the bottom) I had my Classic Runabout with me, and I had spin his boat in circles to break it free from the death grip the "smang" had on his keel. Fortunately, this is seasonal problem and goes away when the cooler weather returns. A small fishing rod with a tennis ball can work wonders for these occasions.

A small boat as you describe would be ideal should the occassion arise. We will look forward to seeing your photos.

Boomer
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:36 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
I did enjoy the one time I was able to sail it. My wife and I rented a mountain cabin on a pond and I thought it would be a great chance to try sailing, since they have paddleboats too. It was great and I looked forward to doing it on a regular basis.

I talked with Rodney a few times and he was very helpful, however like I said they mainly sail on weekdays. I tried to get up with him or just go out there alone on a weekend but they sail on a pond in a gated retirement community and it is not open to the public.. not really sure why it's advertised as an open club. I guess even he didn't realize this until after I told him that I wasn't able to get in when I tried because I never heard back after that.

From there I looked at different places to sail, and I just don't have anything near that has means to retrieve a dead/tipped boat. Earlier in the thread I talked about that and some mentioned getting a tug but that's another $300 item just to keep in the event I need to rescue this one. Add to that short winter days and my wife and I having a baby recently, and well free time is rare.

I've been meaning to get pictures and put this up for sale but even finding time for that is difficult lately.. after I sailed it once I packed it back into it's shipping box. Thanks for all the help to everyone though, it really is a nice boat.
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:00 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Skyshaker
I have couple of RC boats I can use as recovery boats, but I rarely have had to use them. The most recent occasion was last summer, when a sailing buddy got his keel hooked on some lake "smang" (unknown growth coming up from the bottom) I had my Classic Runabout with me, and I had spin his boat in circles to break it free from the death grip the "smang" had on his keel. Fortunately, this is seasonal problem and goes away when the cooler weather returns. A small fishing rod with a tennis ball can work wonders for these occasions.

A small boat as you describe would be ideal should the occasion arise. We will look forward to seeing your photos.

Boomer
I looked into maybe a RC retrieval boat, problem being this is not a small lake, maybe a mile long and a third as wide. I have a feeling we newbies can either get stuck in reeds and stuff or the boat get so far away as to lose sight of direction. Can't find the pictures but I have a web site of photo's I shot for the local RC club on their bi-annual float fly's. www.skyshaker.com

There is a pond I wanted to use at a near by park, but the city installed a spray head in the center and the bottom has grown your "smang". Was thinking an old g*lf ball retriever with a Sheppard's hook on the end. But where on the boat to snag it for retrieval?

SS
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:42 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
The golf ball retriever is a great tool for this purpose! We have one the extends out about 30' which when we remember to take it, has always done the job. You ask where to grab the boat. I'd say it depends on the situation, but generally all a sailboat needs to get free is just a little lift, or push, so we typically try to lift near the center of the hull, or push on the side of the hull. If you can hook the keel, that is not bad either. The rudder is not the best place to push, as it is more likely to be damaged.

The only times that rescue has been needed, was when we got the keel fouled on the "smang" which is always the worst close to shore, as the water is shallower there, and the sunlight gets threw to the "smang" and like the "Swamp thing" in that old movie it grows stronger.

I can see the same stuff near the shoreline in the photo you posted. When it gets really bad here, we use a heavy steel rake with a line attached to it, to dredge the shoreline. Pretty simple, we just throw the rake out as far as we can, and pull it in slowly as it rakes the bottom. We put the gathered "smang" in a pile and let it dry (it's to heavy to move when it is wet) then we take it to the dump.

It is really an interesting form of plant life. It is very strong and fibrous. The good news is that most of the time, the wind is on our side, so we can work the boat free by rudder and sail manipulation. If that fails, we use the golf ball retriever, or drop in a rescue boat to help push the boat free. I have been in "irons" (dead calm)a few times, and had to wait a little while for a breeze to get my boat back to shore.

Your pond looks manageable, just stay away from the fountain. We have a lake with a fountain that is held in place by 2 ropes from the shore, one on each side, which if not submerged, will snag the keel, and if that happens and the wind is blowing the wrong way, it can push your boat into the fountain.

I have had that happened and all I can say is I was very lucky and escaped with no damages. I have attached a picture of what we now refer to as the "death fountain" and the areas where the ropes that hold the fountain in the center of the lake are the "devil's triangles".

Our fountain puts out a lot of water and will knock the boat down on it's side, I was lucky in that the wind kept blowing my boat into the center of the spray, once it was in past where the water was pounding on it, she righted herself, and with great helmsmen ship, I was able to sail her out of the "death fountain's" grip.

This was truly a memorable few minutes. From that time on, we got some slump stone blocks and used them to sink the lines deep enough to make a safe channel to use to get around the fountain. Not sure if the guys that maintain the lakes appreciated us doing it, but the darn fountain is a hazard to navigation, so we figured we had maritime law on our side, and figured we have the right to keep a channel open. Next, is channel markers!

Where ever you sail, prior to putting your boat in the water, a little information gathering can be very helpful and will enable to you steer clear of any shallows, or other kinds of avoidable hazards. The same would be true of going sailing in a full size boat.

Not to worry, sailboats are of the most sea worthy crafts on the water, and can take a lot. Enjoy, have fun.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 27, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:41 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Thanks Boomer, your sharing has given me idea's. Doubt the city would allow any "smang" harvesting, will probably stick to the big lake when it gets warmer.
Happy Sailing
SS
Old Jan 28, 2011, 07:49 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
Gents, having looked at all the boats with figures on them I have come to agree they look better than the ghost boat look, my nivana, being my play boat, I am always trying to do SOMETHING to it, I saw HH's capt. and helm, was great, but, the tiller arm and push rod always bothered me, not exactly realistic, so, after deciding to add the helm and capt, would be to good to have him trip over the tiller junk. haven't gotten the capt. and helm yet, but, I did solve the tiller issue, with some plank on plank wood trim..fitting the wood closely also sets the cabin hatch firmly..very firmly.
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:00 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
haven't gotten the capt. and helm yet, but, I did solve the tiller issue, with some plank on plank wood trim..fitting the wood closely also sets the cabin hatch firmly..very firmly.
Neat looking. How did you secure the cover to the boat yet be able to access the rudder control for potential rudder removal?
SS
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:09 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
I used the same screw holes that hold down the plastic seating areas..to do this, you have to shorten the rudder shaft, and the rudder tube, as the tiller arm in its original place is higher than the cover will allow. gives a much cleaner look than the exposed parts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2011, 02:27 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Thanks, will be interesting to see the completed project.
SS
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:48 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
SS, here are the sad pics of the capt. and helm..i wish my skills went to cameras..i have done a lot of common sense things to this boat, its easy to improve, and a great little boat for the dough. and if the sharks eat it, o well...my last mods will be REAL sails, as i never will be competing in anything but the who the #%& is gonna buy the pizza? race, the paneled custom sails will be in effect like taking the small block out, and putting a big block in its place. that, and change the CG rearward some, to stop the submarine thing these boats like to do.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Jan 31, 2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: ..