SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 15, 2014, 08:41 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2013
18 Posts
Discussion
Readi-Board

Hi guys, I've seen a lot of scratchbuilds using dollar tree readi-board. I've wanted to start as well, but I can't seem to find it the equivalent up here in Canada . The foam I have found doesnt work as well as I wish it would. I have seen some foam labeled "ADAMS", but it doesnt say readi-board anywhere . If possible, can someone post a picture of a sticker or something on the foam board? I really feel helpless here. Thanks!
acebonse is offline Find More Posts by acebonse
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2014, 08:59 PM
Registered User
TheKnightFerrin's Avatar
Oregon
Joined Jan 2011
111 Posts
I have attached a picture of the label on a piece of black dollar tree foam board.
TheKnightFerrin is online now Find More Posts by TheKnightFerrin
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2014, 09:02 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnightFerrin View Post
I have attached a picture of the label on a piece of black dollar tree foam board.
Thank you so much! I think this is what we have. This so helpful
acebonse is offline Find More Posts by acebonse
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2014, 09:31 PM
Registered User
TheKnightFerrin's Avatar
Oregon
Joined Jan 2011
111 Posts
Glad to help
I've heard some people say the white foam board is better than the black, because paper removal is easier with the white foam board etc. I only bought the black because it was all they had in stock at the time, however I did not have any trouble removing the paper although at times it felt like it would tear when I was peeling it.

Have fun building, and flying!
TheKnightFerrin is online now Find More Posts by TheKnightFerrin
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2014, 09:33 PM
Registered User
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,174 Posts
Try a Dollarama store, the ones in My part of Canada stock Elmers' foam board, not the much higher/good quality Elmers sold at Michaels'.
But the equivalent of the Adams' stuff, bowed as well, but happily.. without the Ripples :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2014, 09:38 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnightFerrin View Post
Glad to help
I've heard some people say the white foam board is better than the black, because paper removal is easier with the white foam board etc. I only bought the black because it was all they had in stock at the time, however I did not have any trouble removing the paper although at times it felt like it would tear when I was peeling it.

Have fun building, and flying!
To be honest, I want to keep the paper on like they do on the flite test planes so paper removal is not a problem for me. But thanks anyways
acebonse is offline Find More Posts by acebonse
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2014, 09:40 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Try a Dollarama store, the ones in My part of Canada stock Elmers' foam board, not the much higher/good quality Elmers sold at Michaels'.
But the equivalent of the Adams' stuff, bowed as well, but happily.. without the Ripples :-)
Well that's where I've been getting the foam board. And the locating by my house has both Adams and Elmer's so I'll try both and see which one works better.
acebonse is offline Find More Posts by acebonse
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2014, 01:29 AM
Professional amature
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Oct 2011
96 Posts
Which is easier to pull the paper off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebonse View Post
Well that's where I've been getting the foam board. And the locating by my house has both Adams and Elmer's so I'll try both and see which one works better.
I noticed that Dollarama no longer carries Adam's Rediboard and now carries Elmer's instead. I grabbed ten sheets of Rediboard that I found at Dollar Tree because I was concerned that the Elmer's might be hard to remove the paper off it.

Have you come to any conclusion on this?

Thanks!
vastsky is offline Find More Posts by vastsky
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2014, 10:36 AM
Senile Member
Lnagel's Avatar
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,242 Posts
Why not just buy a sheet of Elmers and see what happens? Then you can let the rest of us know.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2014, 04:40 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Granted's Avatar
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,371 Posts
The Elmers board at Dollarama is superior to the Adams board in strength and consistent thickness but the stuff requires method to peel. Makes some pretty cool planes too.
Granted is online now Find More Posts by Granted
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2014, 06:44 PM
Professional amature
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Oct 2011
96 Posts
Well - which is easier to de-paper??

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebonse View Post
Well that's where I've been getting the foam board. And the locating by my house has both Adams and Elmer's so I'll try both and see which one works better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
Why not just buy a sheet of Elmers and see what happens? Then you can let the rest of us know.

Larry
Hahaha! Larry I did consider this!! Perhaps I will run out and buy a sheet and come to my own conclusion.

Moab!! - been visiting the place since 1992 to mountain bike.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted View Post
The Elmers board at Dollarama is superior to the Adams board in strength and consistent thickness but the stuff requires method to peel. Makes some pretty cool planes too.
Granted: those are some pretty planes!! You air brush them? Do you prefer to not apply strengthening packing tape? I know it is a much more work but does add much durability and stiffness.

So - is there a trick to removing paper from Elmer's? Does it come off cleanly?

The reason I ask is I can recall discussion about when this sort of foam board was first being used to build. The boards were being soaked down with various potions and left to stew in garbage bags as the paper was awful to remove.

The Elmer's did look flat and ripple free. Hmmmm

Ed
vastsky is offline Find More Posts by vastsky
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2014, 12:30 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Granted's Avatar
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,371 Posts
@vastsky - the planes are all shot with Krylon rattle-cans, not all of it plastic-safe.
There is a trick to removing the paper, it has to be dry. The paper only removes cleanly if you pull straight-up from the foam, and the best way I've found is using a piece of ABS pipe and adhesive-transfer tape.
Start by applying tape right at the edge of the board or overhanging slightly, the pull must start at the very end of the paper. Remove the tape backing and stick the pipe in place as straight as possible, and use the pipe like a rolling pin. Downward pressure and short "snap" rolls will break the paper free from the edge, not all at once usually but easy once it starts.
Once started roll up about 3-4" of paper and stop, then cut the pipe free leaving most of the paper behind. Now you want to start the process over on the opposite end of the other side, as you need the papers' support when starting the peeling. Without it the foamboard will break an inch from the end when you start rolling.
Peel the second side completely and finish the rolling onto another piece of foam so the pipe doesn't drop off the "step", breaking off the last inch of foam. Flip over and finish peeling the first side the same way.
You might find one side will fray a bit at the edges while peeling, lift the frays with the tip of a razor knife and carry on rolling.
Takes me an hour to peel 25 sheets.
Granted is online now Find More Posts by Granted
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2014, 05:00 PM
Professional amature
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Oct 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted View Post
@vastsky - the planes are all shot with Krylon rattle-cans, not all of it plastic-safe.
There is a trick to removing the paper, it has to be dry. The paper only removes cleanly if you pull straight-up from the foam, and the best way I've found is using a piece of ABS pipe and adhesive-transfer tape.
Start by applying tape right at the edge of the board or overhanging slightly, the pull must start at the very end of the paper. Remove the tape backing and stick the pipe in place as straight as possible, and use the pipe like a rolling pin. Downward pressure and short "snap" rolls will break the paper free from the edge, not all at once usually but easy once it starts.
Once started roll up about 3-4" of paper and stop, then cut the pipe free leaving most of the paper behind. Now you want to start the process over on the opposite end of the other side, as you need the papers' support when starting the peeling. Without it the foamboard will break an inch from the end when you start rolling.
Peel the second side completely and finish the rolling onto another piece of foam so the pipe doesn't drop off the "step", breaking off the last inch of foam. Flip over and finish peeling the first side the same way.
You might find one side will fray a bit at the edges while peeling, lift the frays with the tip of a razor knife and carry on rolling.
Takes me an hour to peel 25 sheets.
@Granted - THANKS!!

I will give this a try simply for the challenge of getting it right. I don't think I have ever encountered such a well documented (great photos), sensible way of de-papering foam board. This seems to be a similar method that people were using to remove the onion skin from the blue fan-fold board that I could never find in BC.

OK, now that you have 25 sheets/hour of materials what are you building?? Are you a speed builder hahah!

Do you packing tape your planes, or simply build a new one if it pounds in?

Ed
vastsky is offline Find More Posts by vastsky
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2014, 06:31 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Granted's Avatar
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,371 Posts
@Ed - right now I have an RCP F-18 and SU-30 half done and a FRC AlphaJet MKII and Mosquito half done, all 3/4 size so the 4.5mm foamboard works perfectly. Makes for cheap builds too, two sheets of foam and under $40 of gear in most cases.
I usually only packing-tape the bellies for landing.

Grant
Granted is online now Find More Posts by Granted
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2014, 09:43 PM
Registered User
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,174 Posts
Small points :-) 1$ store (yes In Canada ) Foam is Crap.
Usually full of ripples and pre warped.
Sometimes Elmers' Lo Grade foam board is sold at 1$ stores.
t's labeled IF you find some... Buy Lots !
It's at least, ripple free (imo Adams brand is nothing less than horrid junk)
Paper on the cheap stuff pulls off reasonable easily. Little drama involved.
Going up the quality ladder, even to Elmers' 'better' brand, as sold at Michaels.
Proves far more problematic when it comes to removing the paper.
Go to a Graphics arts supply shop and you will find Genuinely Good Quality foamboard (ie: Bienfang) which Seriously resists all attempts to remove the paper.. as in Good luck with that.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Price reduction: Alexmos 3-axis controller board (soldered, ready to go) - $180 apextwin Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Dec 04, 2013 05:50 AM
Build Log Lil' Extra -( full fuse & in readi board ) Prime_8 Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 224 Aug 17, 2011 09:28 AM
Sold Paris MWC board Ready for flight w/Arduino Pro Mini 5/16mhz,Wii Motion+,Bosch BMA02 Z06 Tony Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 16 May 27, 2011 09:56 AM
Discussion getting a brushless ready green dot vapor board may-day Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 0 Jun 11, 2009 01:31 PM