HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2014, 01:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dewsbury
Joined Jul 2014
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by locktite401 View Post
Looks to me that it must have been a one man job. This pic shows a launching in the Australian tropics. It's only one man per wheel assembly. I do wonder about how they coped with Crocodiles though.
No worries mate. Sharks ate all the crocs!
Snakebite666 is online now Find More Posts by Snakebite666
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2014, 05:50 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,471 Posts
Well I made some more progress today ; there's still some more details I can add but I want to get the second beaching gear oleo caught up to the first before moving on w/ more details.
And also I want to get the other three Struts mounted to the fuse; and all four mounted to the wings.

It may not seem like I've done much but this is harder than it looks there's quite a few Variables involved with the mounting; angle, pitch, yaw, height and pin alignment.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Nov 26, 2014, 01:42 AM
Joined Jul 2014
53 Posts
How have you anchored that bottom bracket inside the plane?
I can see that being a leak point no matter how well you seal it on the outside. Are you going to completely cover the bracket inside with something to create the seal?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 02:48 AM
Joined Jun 2007
459 Posts
I am a little confused (nothing new) did not all the catalina's have retracting undercarriage?
rupert the bear is offline Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Nov 26, 2014, 03:55 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert the bear View Post
I am a little confused (nothing new) did not all the catalina's have retracting undercarriage?
No worries I'm confused all the time LOL .... about half were strictly flying boats w/ NO wheels; The wheels were an after thought - adaptation.

Snake there is a hole drilled into the fuse along side a former I'll glue in the brass tube & plate w/ E-6000; THIS GLUE IS WATERPROOF and bonds just about anything to anything.
I'm also thinking of insetting the brass plate into the fuse 1/32" flush w/ the hull.

Bruce
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:28 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,929 Posts
Very nice work Bruce !

Dont know if you have seen it before but you might like this video :

1942 The US Navy Catalina Flying-Boats (0 min 53 sec)

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is offline Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Nov 26, 2014, 01:28 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,471 Posts
Thank you Bart I hadn't seen that video wish it showed more those type of things are very scarce
I would love to see them putting on the beaching gear and pulling her out on to the beach.

There's quite a few guys / people that think these planes all had the amphibious capabilities from the start; I think the marines need a plane that could go ashore in the south Pacific, so they requested them to modify the PBY.

Bruce
Old Yesterday, 01:54 AM
Joined Jul 2014
53 Posts
Yeah, that video was just anoying! lol.
It showed them dragging one of the forward beaching gears out to the plane, THEN IT STOPPED!!! But I was right, the wheels exerted enough lift to make it float, how the hell did they manage to swing it down against the boyancy to get the bottom bracket attatched???

You know I was meaning the bottom bracket of the beaching gear don't you? The one that looks like it's just a sheet of brass in the hull edgeways... I'm assuming it goes all the way through the hull and is fixed inside by pins onto the framework or something?
Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
Joined Nov 2008
295 Posts
It seems that water was added to the inner tubes of the tyres of the main beaching gear. I'm guessing that by doing this the buoyancy of the latter was adjusted so submerging the two was easily achieved by just one man.

The image below is from the Catalina Maintenance manual. A considerable quantity of water was added to each tyre.

locktite401 is offline Find More Posts by locktite401
Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM
Joined Jul 2014
53 Posts
OH!!!
That makes SO much sense! lol.
Thanks for that, it was driving me nuts..!
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM
Joined Nov 2008
295 Posts
For what it's worth in late RAAF service amphibians were allocated because that's all they made in the later part of WW2, and they were locally re-converted to true Flying Boats. This was done to increase range. The picture below shows a late Canso so modified. The particular aircraft was used to survey a possible postwar air route to the UK via Chile using JATO rockets for the open ocean takeoff from such stopovers as Easter Island. The upper beaching gear connection is clearly visible.

Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
Joined Jul 2014
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by locktite401 View Post
What worries me most about that picture is the long patch where damage would be caused if a propeller came off!!!
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM
Joined Nov 2008
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebite666 View Post
What worries me most about that picture is the long patch where damage would be caused if a propeller came off!!!
A propeller coming off is going to be catastrophic to the aircraft in so many other ways anyway.
Old Today, 01:42 AM
Joined Jul 2014
53 Posts
These birds were well able to fly with only one engine, if a little underpowered lol.