HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Jul 2009
303 Posts
Discussion
BTE Venture 60 Kits Are Back!

I just got word from Bruce Tharpe that he has finished his build of Venture 60 kits & they will be available for shipping the end of January. I've already got my order in for one. Here is what he sent out:

"Venture 60 Enthusiast,

After nearly twenty years of cutting kits, I should know by now that everything takes longer than I think it will. So along with a little embarrassment at how long it has taken, I'm proud to announce that Venture 60 kits are finally available. Many of you have been waiting a very long time for this, so please accept my heartfelt gratitude for your patience.

If you would like to order with a credit card, just give me a call at 1-800-557-4470. If you are comfortable using PayPal, this email address is also the BTE PayPal account (or send me an email and request a PayPal invoice to make it super easy). Sorry, no quantity discounts, but if you want to order two or three kits, I can strap them together as a single shipment for no extra shipping charge in the US. For orders outside the US, please call or email for shipping prices.

If you need to refresh your memory about the plane and all of the optional accessories, here is a link to the Venture 60 webpage:
http://www.btemodels.com/venture.html

Thanks again and I hope to hear from you soon,

Bruce Tharpe
Rogue River, Oregon
1-800-557-4470"
jedorme is offline Find More Posts by jedorme
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:09 AM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,662 Posts
I would love to see Bruce do a Venture 40...........
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:42 AM
Joined Jul 2009
303 Posts
Mickeydee - I talked to Bruce about a V40 before I ordered the V60, as my initial preference was to build a 40 size kit. He said you can eliminate the last bay on each wing panel which gives you a 66" wing instead of a 72" one. You get a higher wing loading so landing & stall speeds are a bit higher, but the roll rate & other performance aspects are improved. Many have been built this way according to Bruce. I wanted the larger more visible plane with more relaxed flying.

Jed
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:09 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,864 Posts
Not trying to take money out of Bruce's pocket, but if anyones interested and fairly local to me I have a very nice built electric Venture for sale:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1785223

thanks,
David
David Hogue is online now Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:57 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
if history is any indicator of how things will play out - grab one of these kits fast as they won't be in stock long
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:00 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
yeah, I'll second a venture 40... or perhaps a "venture 20 E" would be zeitgeisty
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:12 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,713 Posts
Zeitgeisty. Nice.
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:27 AM
Joined Jul 2009
303 Posts
big bird- I hadn't even thought about a Venture 20 & have to say that after seeing the success of the Sig 4 Star 20 EP kit, that may not be a bad idea (maybe Bruce will read this & take the hint). I know from talking to him about anything I needed to do to electrify the V60, he already has designed a very light airframe (it's about a pound lighter than the Sig 4 Star 60, which was adapted from one of his earlier designs). So his advise to me was build it to the plans, make it electric, put in a battery hatch & go for it!

Maybe someone just needs to ask him to scale down his V60 plans & make them available as a scratch build until he has the time to hand craft another kit in this 20 size. But I suspect that he is such a perfectionist he probably wouldn't want his name or the BTE logo on anything he hadn't personally designed, cut all the parts, inspected them & put in a box before you got it. And I respect him for that, but at the same time agree a V20 EP sure would be nice.

Jed
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:38 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Idly thinking here - there was a limited run of Venture 60E kits around, back end of the last run of V60 kits. The electrocution was heavily based on the prolific number of Four Star 40E models that were around at the time, oddly enough.

The V60 is a snap to electrocute, though the original conversion was done on the changeover from BRJs to LiPo. It's likely that a LiPo, and thus the battery hatch, will need to be further forward. A123s could do nicely, though 2S sounds better for flight time, with on-board recharging.

Whatever, Bruce is a great guy and his designs are top notch. I have never heard of any who didn't like their Four Star 40, for one great example. Admitted bias - had a Four Star 40E for eleven years and now have a 20E awaiting weather I can go fly in. You want something bigger - get a V60.
(then you can fudge the plan to suit your favourite small motor and battery )

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:53 PM
Joined Jul 2009
303 Posts
Dereck - I think you are dead on in your suggestion to take the V60 & make it whatever you are really wanting from this versatile design. And I anticipate little trouble in converting it to EP - really only a different motor mount & put in the topside battery hatch for the Lipo access. I converted a Sig Senior Kadet ARF to EP & it required more planning & conversion work I suspect.

And I know you had some involvement with Bruce back when he did the electric version of his V60, but I also asked him if he had any thoughts about offering that kit again. He said with all the changes/improvements in electric flight, it really wasn't necessary any longer & that the present weight of the V60 airframe was quite manageable for EP conversion.

So I'm almost positive that when I build my V60 wing, I will do it per the plan & if I like it as much as I expect I will, maybe down the road build another as a V40E.

Jed
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:10 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
I just sent my payment for this kit."THEY WILL NOT LAST LONG!!
stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:09 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Jed
Bruce is right about the 'new' drivetrains we fly now. All you really need by way of big changes is a topside battery hatch and the V60 structure takes to that readily. Just look up the longest Four Star electrocution thread to see how easy it is. Low wingers with the wing mounted on the fus bottom are the easiest layout to electrocute by far.

Recall Bruce's website used to have about a seperate photo page of clipwing V60s. It was so popular, he approved of the mod on his site.

Looking forward to Stefan's build log (hint, hint )

D
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:18 AM
Joined Jul 2009
303 Posts
Dereck - I too will look forward to Stefan's build log - but maybe if I screw up my courage, I will also attempt to post a build log for my V60. I've never done one before but have to admit that the V60 looks to be such a great kit that it is the only model I have ever built that I might even think about trying to do a build log. I just know that I am anxious to get involved in all that is involved in a V60 kit from start to finish & will be happy to share whatever I can.

Jed
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:52 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Not to get off subject,But If I do a build log ,You have to finish up your Adrain Page Gee Bee R2
stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:57 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMET 44 View Post
Not to get off subject,But If I do a build log ,You have to finish up your Adrain Page Gee Bee R2
stefanP
Which unfortunately didn't survive the Last Big Move . Over to you...
D