HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2012, 04:01 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
842 Posts
I posted the video with the appropriate thumbnail as a question if GWS is going broke or really going out of business. I keep seeing their products more and more in stock and even ones that I haven't seen lately like the Funny Park - so I'm doubtful they'll be out of business anytime soon
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 07:12 AM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
I keep seeing their products more and more in stock and even ones that I haven't seen lately like the Funny Park - so I'm doubtful they'll be out of business anytime soon
You're seeing items you don't normally see because dealers are buying up whatever they can. You don't normally see the Funny Park because it doesn't sell very well... but if it's all you can get then you'll take it. Trust me... there is almost NO inventory at GWS USA. I cannot get ANY slow sticks or e-starters, and MANY other items that are my big sellers from the GWS line.
billbo1970 is offline Find More Posts by billbo1970
Old May 25, 2012, 11:55 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
GWS USA still have most airplanes in stock.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old May 26, 2012, 01:17 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
842 Posts
I buy from Hobbyzone and TowerHobbies and yes sometimes the products are out of stock but when I check back the week afer or two weeks later, it's available, for example 3 weeks ago I got 2 Slow Sticks w/ brushless motor BLM2215.

For GWS4CEO,

Why not start with a small foam plant in the USA? It doesn't have to be huge, just make the bodies,wings, tail for the top selling items. Or why not contract it out to a plant that already makes foam products - cartons for fruits, foam plates, foam picnic coolers, etc.

The hardware stuff (motors, ESC, servos) you can still ship from Asia but the foam are largest pieces and you'd save tons of cash and offer the kits at even better prices if they were made and in the USA because you wouldn't need to ship them across an ocean.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Last edited by TheLeabres; May 26, 2012 at 02:52 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:50 AM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO View Post
Mr Lin,

That is very misleading... there is plenty of inventory on the products people don't want to buy... but the popular items that people want to buy are GONE. There are NO Slow Sticks, NO E-Starters, NO Beavers, NO Pico Tiger Moths, And I know for a fact that either Horizon or Great Planes (I can't remember which one right now) is seriously contemplating dropping GWS from their catalog.

GWS USA has almost nothing left, and I've had to pull more than 1/2 of the GWS listings from my website. They still haven't had an update from GWS HK, except that there is a container of slow sticks being sent over to the US... that's it.. slow sticks... and I'll believe it when I see it. What about everything else that is out of stock?!

I can't even get parts (like slow stick motor mounts: GWEMM28). I don't recommend anybody in the states buy any slow sticks until you can get basic parts for it, like the plastic motor mount! I just took this screen grab right now:

Regards,
Bill
billbo1970 is offline Find More Posts by billbo1970
Last edited by billbo1970; Jul 06, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:31 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
I too have noticed the lack of GWS stock on various items at many of the vendors I frequent. Something appears to be going on. One would think that considering the popularity of GWS products that there would be more stock.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:10 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Now I know why Caliber Hobby is not answering my email inquiry about certain servos I want and when they will be available. To bad I really like these servos and don't know of any brand that is a satisfactory substitute, meaning price and quality (especially pico). Maybe Mr. Lin just doesn't like us, or our money or perhaps there are forces at work that don't allow him to be honest.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:45 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO View Post
Mr Lin

You probably do not remember me because it has been a long time since I last posted on a forum with you. I want to send my best wishes to you. I hope everything is ok with GWS.

-----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroback View Post
Now I know why Caliber Hobby is not answering my email inquiry about certain servos I want and when they will be available. To bad I really like these servos and don't know of any brand that is a satisfactory substitute, meaning price and quality (especially pico). Maybe Mr. Lin just doesn't like us, or our money or perhaps there are forces at work that don't allow him to be honest.
The RC world has changed a lot in the last decade, there is much more competition and innovative products. The Chinese are a very smart people, they have flooded the RC market with inexpensive and innovative products. Internet retailers like Hobby King, Banana Hobby and many more are selling these products in the millions here in the USA and world wide.

So I am going to take a wild guess!

Some companies rely on a few good products to survive. But this does not work forever and eventually the competition passes them by. It is not too noticeable at first but as time goes on the easy life of success changes to financial hardship. I am guessing that GWS may have fallen into this trap. If I am correct then GWS is in trouble and needs to act quickly. A CEO like Mr. Lin is not going to talk about such things on a forum so I do not expect answers.

I hope that my guess is wrong.

Barry
Last edited by BGR; Jul 14, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:20 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
The pendulum swings both ways. I personally don't think that the Chinese are innovative, unless counter fitting is considered innovation. Innovation requires a free thinking mind and freedom is not a Chinese value. I think crafty is a better word, IMO. As far as the HK, BH I wasted some money on that junk and got wise real fast. I do hope the best for GWS. Their products were the gateway to joy of electric flight for me. Although I still have my beloved Zero's (3) and Pico stick they are rarely flown now days because my skills have increased. If GWS were to up the anti to higher levels of selection/performance/bigger (not the right words but it's the best I can think of at the moment) with their quality, I think they could easily return as a top contender.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Last edited by zeroback; Jul 09, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:57 PM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Bullhead City, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
1,681 Posts
Zeroback I hope you are right. However yesterday I discovered an interesting and thought provoking bit of information. I wanted to check on stock and possible arrival of new stock at GWS USA. I called as usual, only to discover on their phone system that GWS USA is now only open Monday - Thursday. So I checked on Caliber's web site and sure enough, they are only open Mon - Thurs too. Hard to run a hobby shop when you are not open on the weekends. I hope this is only a temporary money saving technique!
GorillaBob is online now Find More Posts by GorillaBob
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:48 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroback View Post
The pendulum swings both ways. I personally don't think that the Chinese are innovative, unless counter fitting is considered innovation. Innovation requires a free thinking mind and freedom is not a Chinese value. I think crafty is a better word, IMO. As far as the HK, BH I wasted some money on that junk and got wise real fast. I do hope the best for GWS. Their products were the gateway to joy of electric flight for me. Although I still have my beloved Zero's (3) and Pico stick they are rarely flown now days because my skills have increased. If GWS were to up the anti to higher levels of selection/performance/bigger (not the right words but it's the best I can think of at the moment) with their quality, I think they could easily return as a top contender.
I am no fan of the Chinese but I respect them for my own reasons. I have been around long enough to see a development path that I recognize. In the 50s and 60s Japanese products were considered junk (they were junk) and the Japanese were copy cats. But as time went on their products became better and they started innovating. Today their electronic components, Cars, TVs and other electronic products are right up there with the best that the world can offer. The Chinese they will improve and they will innovate of this I am sure. For the moment they are just like the Japanese were back then, but not for long.

Freedom is a human desire, it is not a cultural value. It may take decades but eventually the Chinese will demand more from their country and they will get it.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:00 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,784 Posts
zeroback: inovative or not, 90% of everything in USA comes from china. food for thought.
nemoskull is online now Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:33 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
216 Posts
Don't know about the states, but GWS kits are getting like rocking horse dung over here in UK I just spent 3 days trying to source firstly a standard Formosa..... without luck. then decided to look for a T6 texan.. Galaxy had one , but went bust before my orderwasw processed(sadly) however I got one from moor models delivered this afternoon
gordynic is offline Find More Posts by gordynic
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:24 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordynic View Post
Don't know about the states, but GWS kits are getting like rocking horse dung over here in UK
Aside from Slow Sticks, I've never seen any GWS models at any of the hobby shops I've venture to (a fair bit) in the past two years, nor the RC expos. I've had to buy all mine online.

Long live the Internet!
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:02 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
The UK importer is down to listing 13 models out of the GWS range., and only six are in stock with no due date on those on back order.

GWS may not be out of business but this, and the stock situation at GWS USA a.k.a. Caliber Hobby, is as good a way as any of making sure it will soon be so. The world has moved on and the market, like it or not, has changed. I valued GWS kits for their reasonable price and for the fact that because I could buy airframe only I could stamp my own preferences on a model I built.

Nowadays it is hard to buy a (foam) kit that is actually a kit - they're mostly either ready to go or so nearly ready to go as to be an assembly job rather than a kit build. And the days of seeing unpainted foam kits are gone because, as GWS realised too late, if you're just trying to sell the basic bits the core cost - moulded foam components - is so small as to make the whole thing unprofitable. Now makers have realised that they have to "add value" by including not only all the components (except maybe Rx and battery) but providing them mainly assembled as well. We may be buying fools gold in that some of those components are not much more than rubbish and supply of spare parts may be iffy but that's what the market seems to want. And some of us figure that even if we do have to change out components we're adding our own mark to the product without adding much cost. Check out what you'd have to pay for a GWS TM400 supplied with an ancient brushed and geared motor, no esc, no servos and with only roughly scale foam parts painted in a uniform yellow by comparison with the similar sized Tiger Moth from a well know Hong Kong online supplier with warehouses in the US, Germany, Australia and now the UK . You'll get a choice of detailed paint finishes with decals already applied and with motor, esc and servos already installed together with an overall attempt at getting the scale detail right including the landing gear. And the prices will be very close.

I can buy a Grumman F9F completely ready to go except for receiver and battery, attractive scale colour scheme (OK the decals are flimsy) with 50mm EDF, 20A esc and 3 9g servos all built in for less than 42 and delivered in 48 hours for less than another 10.

If I wanted to buy a GWS EDF stocked by the importer I only have a choice of the F15 and it would cost me 20 more to get just an unpainted NPS kit with paint, motor, esc and servos still to buy.

There are still one or two GWS jets out on dealers' shelves and one or two other kits too. For UK buyers desperate to get their last GWS kit you might try here http://www.merlininnovations.co.uk/251-artf-gws
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard