HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2011, 02:33 AM
United Kingdom, England, Wigan
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellwalt View Post
Hello HOW MUCH
Love your design of the WOT NEXT foamy and the elaborate plans you offered to us foam guys. One question that bothers me is the call out for the cutting layout of the top and bottom pieces...i.e. "26" x 2.9/16". Do you mean it should be 2,9 inches wide? What does the "/16" add-on mean?
Thank you for a truly cool design!!
Walt Jellison
jellwalt@cox.net

jellwalt

good spot... the 2 and 9/16" width of the top and bottom panels is a deliberate "oversize"
the nominal width of the fuselage is 2 and 1/2" but with variances in material thickness and the accuracy with which the 2" wide fuselage formers and servo tray have been cut will all effect the final width of the fus.
so i deliberately designed the panels slightly oversize so you can....

"trim to fit on final assembly"

saves wasting that 2.1/2" wide strip you just cut that is slightly undersize

David
how much is online now Find More Posts by how much
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2011, 02:38 AM
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza44 View Post
took my taube wot next out other day for test flight wow flew very well..
put an emax 2228 motor and 8x4 apc 1500 3 cell lipo .. 618g thrust plenty of power to spare,pushed most electrics in front as to fit my battery under the wing..final flying wieght was 13.75 oz..
just needing a paint job now,mmmmmmm red n yellow sounds good..
great design and thanks for sharing..

daren

edit...finished paint job opted for red n white looks better

Daren

the "Wot-Taube" is just brilliant.... I love it!

David
Old Nov 04, 2011, 08:28 AM
United States, NC, Cajah's Mountain
Joined Oct 2006
199 Posts
Daren,

+1 -- Nice job

Don
Don Bourdon is offline Find More Posts by Don Bourdon
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:55 AM
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecar53 View Post
Does anyone have a link for instructions to help someone transition from RET to ailerons? I figure it'd be an advantage to read about it before I try to fly one. Thanks again.

Sidecar
sorry i didn't respond to your question sooner.... busy day! anyway, i had a trawl through the beginers section and couldnt find what i was looking for, only plenty of "differences of opinion" about how it all works, so had a look elsewhere.
this link tells you how the individual control surfaces effect your direction of flight, the animated controls at the bottom are neat!
http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/fltmidcont.htm

now you know how it works... what does it mean going from RET?

well a lot more fun for a start your RET trainer would have a dihedral wing and be "self righting" in so much that after a gentle turn and the controls returned to neutral it would try to get itself back the right way up.

now you will be rolling the aircraft into a turn with the ailerons (and pulling it through the turn with the elevator) when it is banked over it will stay banked over... you basically put the roll on then take the roll off to re-level the wings

dont be intimidated by this, you will have already been doing this with your RET. as you will have had your rudder servo plugged into your aileron channel (tx stick) anyway, so your thumb should already be tuned in to doing this. just try not to "over-control" it and you will be ok

the "wot next" has very nicely balanced controls and will be ideal for the job, it might help if you could get an experienced flyer to "trim" the model on its test flight so it flys straight and true... hands off

good luck, lets see some photos and let us know how you get on

David
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:38 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Hi how much, How's sunny Wigan, lived there till i was 14yrs, many fond memories. Do they still have the under cover indoor market?

I've had problems getting the Solartrim to stick in areas and it bubbles up, usually on the non shinny side, any ideas.
domll is offline Find More Posts by domll
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:07 AM
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by domll View Post
Hi how much, How's sunny Wigan, lived there till i was 14yrs, many fond memories. Do they still have the under cover indoor market?

I've had problems getting the Solartrim to stick in areas and it bubbles up, usually on the non shinny side, any ideas.
hi Domll

Wigan is fine thankyou, dont know how long since you left but the town centre just looks the same as every other town centre (except hilly) same shops in the same non-descript precincts!

dont know why you are having trouble with your solartrim? it sticks like sh** to a blanket on depron! sounds like you may have some contamination on your foam, try washing it off and drying it before applying your trim

these two depron sea-bbs i built only gets flown off water and have had no trouble with the solartrim..

David
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:25 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
1982, guess it has changed now.

Thanks for that, will clean a piece of depron and try.
One last question, how far forward of the CG did you place the wheels?
Last edited by domll; Nov 05, 2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 07:32 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
David
Oooooooooooooooohhhhhh, they are so beautiful....
Andy

Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:50 AM
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Quote:
1982, guess it has changed now.

Thanks for that, will clean a piece of depron and try.
One last question, how far forward of the CG did you place the wheels?
Domll

i sewed the piano wire onto a scrap of 1/16" ply and stuck the ply plate onto the underside of the fuselage with double sided servo tape

the wheel axles are about 1 and 1/4" in front of the leading edge of the wing

dont forget to fit a tail skid to protect the rudder

have been out flying the prototype again this morning, it was a grey, miserable, windy and cold, November morning...
flew every lipo pack i own through it.. my fingers were yellow with the cold

but i was having so much fun! big loops into rolls,into reversals, race down wind then straight up into a stall turn... then more of the same

David
Old Nov 05, 2011, 09:05 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
i put my wheel axels sandwiched in two pieces of foam and insert into fuze glued against one of the formers..
works a treat and is quite sturdy.
was out today in the cold too frozen fingers.
also went out about 11pm last nite had first night flight was easy as flying in the day..
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Nov 05, 2011, 10:47 PM
Bloomfield. Nebraska
Joined Jun 2009
58 Posts
I have almost completed my Wot-n-Fokker. I down sized the plans to a 30 inch Wing span. AUW is 12.2 oz I have installed an Emax 1600kv 2805 motor with a 9X5 orange prop. I am quite confident that this set up will be adequate. All that is left is to get the ailerons connected to the servo. I am going to run my control arms above the wing. Not as neat looking but my receiver is where the wires should go, so rather than mess with that will go on top. I am not going to add a landing gear,since I fly in front of my house and do not have a smooth enough area for a landing strip. Too big of stones in the gravel on the drive way to take off on. I liked the "original" Wot-n-Fokker so much that I copied it the best I could. Even if I had the plane done I could not fly as the wind has been blowing really strong the last two days. Hoping tomorrow will be better

Stan
VoyagerXll is offline Find More Posts by VoyagerXll
Last edited by VoyagerXll; Nov 05, 2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:15 AM
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Stan

your wot-a-fokker looks excellent! i am sure it will fly as good as it looks..

you have done a great job, let us know how the flying goes? i am sure you will be rushing back into the house to recharge the batteries so you can have another fly

i flew the wings off both mine yesterday despite the poor weather! i think the original one without wheels flies better than Baron von Wingovers... not sure if its the undercart or the really horrible cheapo servos in the barons that are the cause.

lets us know all about it

David
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:37 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
I have all the parts cut but need to get some dowel tomorrow. Your hinges look very clean lined, are you using the solar trim for the hinge as i don't see tape on the underside?
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:09 AM
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Quote:
I have all the parts cut but need to get some dowel tomorrow. Your hinges look very clean lined, are you using the solar trim for the hinge as i don't see tape on the underside?
dom
do not put tape or trim accross the hinge.. its just the line of uhu por glue as shown in the build instructions that hinges the ailerons,elevator, & rudder

trust me it works just fine!

6mm dowel is £2 for an 8ft length at B&Q.. enough for 2 wots!

David
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:31 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Thanks, must have missed that, getting ahead of my self. B&Q here we come...