HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2011, 01:01 PM
Devon
Joined Aug 2004
72 Posts
Discussion
Droidworx Octocopter help

Hi ladies & gents,

I am about to purchase a droidworx Heavy Lift octocopter but am lost as to what else to get. Not sure about what motors to use, the AXI & MK series seem over the top as regards price, its to lift at least 1Kg of camera gear...anyone have any recomendations for this sort of cam ship?
Also what about control boards..I was thinking hoverfly pro, but not sure if I can attach GPS & waypoint navigation to that.
Basically I'm a bit stumped as to which way to go, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ross
Macsgrafs is offline Find More Posts by Macsgrafs
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2011, 02:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
467 Posts
first question... can you fly?
if not, buy 3 oktos and 3 cam gear
V_Okto is offline Find More Posts by V_Okto
Old May 04, 2011, 04:33 PM
NORWAY
Joined Jan 2011
162 Posts
hello i have the ad8 droidworx heavy lift with axi motors and hoverflypro board,and it flies great:
DROIDWORX AD 8 HEAVY LIFT HOVER TEST (6 min 6 sec)
kjella is offline Find More Posts by kjella
Old May 04, 2011, 05:19 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
nice droidworx

hehe. thats funny. I can tell what motors your using just from the noise they make.

$450 FC

$900 frame

$80 in motors... nice.... must have ran out of funs? lol NOthing really wrong with them, I was just expecting something different thats all
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Last edited by witespy; May 05, 2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old May 04, 2011, 08:09 PM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post

$450 frame

$80 in motors... nice.... must have ran out of funs? lol NOthing really wrong with them, I was just expecting something different thats all
Standard version of droidworx octo frame is about $895. The heavy lift version is naturally even more. I like the looks, but the price hmmm....
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old May 04, 2011, 08:19 PM
checkout my Blog
Joined Feb 2008
467 Posts
Hoverfly Pro does not have GPS. It has been "in the works" for some time now.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsgrafs View Post
Hi ladies & gents,

I am about to purchase a droidworx Heavy Lift octocopter but am lost as to what else to get. Not sure about what motors to use, the AXI & MK series seem over the top as regards price, its to lift at least 1Kg of camera gear...anyone have any recomendations for this sort of cam ship?
Also what about control boards..I was thinking hoverfly pro, but not sure if I can attach GPS & waypoint navigation to that.
Basically I'm a bit stumped as to which way to go, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ross
otlski is offline Find More Posts by otlski
Old May 05, 2011, 04:11 AM
Devon
Joined Aug 2004
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Okto View Post
first question... can you fly?
if not, buy 3 oktos and 3 cam gear
I fly a Trex 600E with front mounted cam, I also fly a 50cc petrol SU26 & various other foamie aircraft, I do hope I can fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjella View Post
hello i have the ad8 droidworx heavy lift with axi motors and hoverflypro board,and it flies great:
http://vimeo.com/21313237
Nice, very nice indeed. Whats the spacing between motors? I'm wondering what size props you can use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by otlski View Post
Hoverfly Pro does not have GPS. It has been "in the works" for some time now.

Dan
I also heard of some firmware glitches on the H/F pro, but thats 1 person only so I cant take that as being the case for all!!! So what would you recommend then Dan as a replacement to the H/F pro? Thanks

Ross
Old May 05, 2011, 05:14 AM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Just an opinion on the AXI motors, they are not "over the top" when it comes to quality. They produce some of the finest most reliable motors on the planet.

It still puzzles me as I see literally hundreds on this forum dumping thousands into high end frames, control boards, and camera gear. Only to purchase $15.00 motors for the airframe I guess thats why they choose the octo for redundacy in case of motor failure

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old May 05, 2011, 05:38 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,941 Posts
+1 with power there.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old May 05, 2011, 08:27 PM
checkout my Blog
Joined Feb 2008
467 Posts
Hi Ross,

Yeah, I don't think the occasional glitches with H/F Pro are much to worry about either. It essentially makes it no different from any other platform. My comment was focused on the current lack of GPS and the familiar delays in rollout.

You are actually asking the exact question I've been wondering myself. Beyond UAVX and Mikrocopter I do not know if anyone else has brought GPS to market (I think xaircraft may have). Right now I'm flying UAVX but without GPS so I cannot comment with experience here. MK makes me shy away because of the ESC com lock-ups (and cost). Soon I am going to get a new transmitter so that I can implement GPS. When I do, my only intention is to use it as a failsafe return in case of trouble, not to fly weigh points.

Suffice to say that over the last three or so years many would-be inventors have promised on GPS and not made it happen yet. The results is that there are not too many established choices.

Dan

I also heard of some firmware glitches on the H/F pro, but that's 1 person only so I cant take that as being the case for all!!! So what would you recommend then Dan as a replacement to the H/F pro? Thanks

Ross[/QUOTE]
Old May 05, 2011, 09:50 PM
Devon
Joined Aug 2004
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Just an opinion on the AXI motors, they are not "over the top" when it comes to quality. They produce some of the finest most reliable motors on the planet.

It still puzzles me as I see literally hundreds on this forum dumping thousands into high end frames, control boards, and camera gear. Only to purchase $15.00 motors for the airframe I guess thats why they choose the octo for redundacy in case of motor failure

Mike
Very true Mike, but its like the lipo battery arguement. When I first started buying turnigy lipos some years ago, all my heli mates laughed at me, saying how unreliable they were....of course they had never tested these unreliable lipos to know if indeed they were unreliable! 3 years up the road I still have my turnigys, whilst quite a few of my mates are on thier second or third in sum cases. thunder power lipo!
I agree a good make or even better for me, a reliable motor is more important, but reliable doesnt mean extortinate prices, but if AXI or MK are the only ones, then that will be my choice!

Quote:
Hi Ross,

Yeah, I don't think the occasional glitches with H/F Pro are much to worry about either. It essentially makes it no different from any other platform. My comment was focused on the current lack of GPS and the familiar delays in rollout.

You are actually asking the exact question I've been wondering myself. Beyond UAVX and Mikrocopter I do not know if anyone else has brought GPS to market (I think xaircraft may have). Right now I'm flying UAVX but without GPS so I cannot comment with experience here. MK makes me shy away because of the ESC com lock-ups (and cost). Soon I am going to get a new transmitter so that I can implement GPS. When I do, my only intention is to use it as a failsafe return in case of trouble, not to fly weigh points.

Suffice to say that over the last three or so years many would-be inventors have promised on GPS and not made it happen yet. The results is that there are not too many established choices.

Dan

Just wondering Dan, do you know what controllers there are that will work with an octo? I've only found hoverfly pro so far. Please remember I heard all these bad reports from one person....who could quite easily be the competition running the others down!

Ross
Old May 06, 2011, 12:59 AM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjella View Post
Very nice video and it does look like it flies great, what setting was the GoPro, r3 or r5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post

Mike
You can't be a chimp and do business with a gorilla. Put differently, isn't droidworx heavy lift with axi motors and hoverflypro board and GoPro an oxymoron?

Why do people spend so much to fly a camera that has marginal HD quality? Don't get me wrong, I have Octo-Envy, I'd love to have that setup but it would have at least a Canon T2i or Panasonic GH2 under it.
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old May 06, 2011, 08:55 PM
checkout my Blog
Joined Feb 2008
467 Posts
Hi Ross,

Most all quad platforms can be changed to octo using four of these..
http://www.servocity.com/html/6__y-harnesses.html

The steering signal to your front motor is split out right after it leaves the controller and goes to separate esc's which in turn go to two motors now called the "front" pair. Each of the remaining three outputs are treated the same and split out to six more motors. I know the H/P Pro has eight outputs native; whether or not it offers a real advantage depends on if the extra steering signals are duplicate streams of their respective masters, or if they truly output eight unique signals. If the later is the case then it depends of course on how well George at H/F implemented it.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsgrafs View Post

Just wondering Dan, do you know what controllers there are that will work with an octo? I've only found hoverfly pro so far. Please remember I heard all these bad reports from one person....who could quite easily be the competition running the others down!

Ross
Last edited by otlski; May 06, 2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old May 13, 2011, 04:39 PM
Devon
Joined Aug 2004
72 Posts
Quote:
Hi Ross,

Most all quad platforms can be changed to octo using four of these..
http://www.servocity.com/html/6__y-harnesses.html

The steering signal to your front motor is split out right after it leaves the controller and goes to separate esc's which in turn go to two motors now called the "front" pair. Each of the remaining three outputs are treated the same and split out to six more motors. I know the H/P Pro has eight outputs native; whether or not it offers a real advantage depends on if the extra steering signals are duplicate streams of their respective masters, or if they truly output eight unique signals. If the later is the case then it depends of course on how well George at H/F implemented it.

Dan
I believe its 8 seperate O/ps from H/F Pro, but if they are paired than a failure on one means 2 motors out...not good with expensive cam gear underslung! I received my motors today, they are 10gms lighter than the AXi's...so far quality of them looks superb, they feel fine when turned by hand & castings etc are spot on...for a 1/3rd the price of the same AXI.
If you want to see the motors I went for, then check out:-
http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=5453

Regards
Ross
Old May 13, 2011, 05:05 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,080 Posts
I've got an Octo frame & camera mount for you and high quality motors at almost half the price of DroidWorx & MK.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways