HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2011, 08:30 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
For some reason, I like to build wings. Yours is looking great !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2011, 05:28 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
I build wings like you it is most important to have every thing come out straight . I remember looking at my dazz wing when i pulled off of my building board and i got a smile when i seen it was very straight and i noticed how light it was also . keep up the good work. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:14 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,267 Posts
More wing guts...

Thanks a bunch guys!.. I relate to what you'all are sayin'!.. Its kind of like self-imposed satisfaction.. isn't it great.. I'm already thinking about 3 projects ahead.. I have to tell myself WOE!! but when your in the "zone" its tough to go wrong...and I'm just kinda there with this little plane.. thanks for checking it out..

Pic #1. Sheer webs installed, ready to wrap that part up. Servo-wire guide tubes installed. I almost had to cut these and splice to install. I thought about the access early on, I figured at that time I'd have enough room to manipulate the guide tube between the ribs... I did..barely. I had to "buckle" the tube slightly so it would insert into the pre-cut holes in the ribs.

Pic #2. These are the anchors for the wire tubes I fabricated from the lightest balsa off-cut I had. It doesn't take much to hold the tube, so these and a few drops of CA capture it nicely. I like these tubes so much more then the "rolled up paper" stuff. I'd use a toilet roll before I rolled up cheap paper... haha.

Pic #3, and #4. ... and you have basically a "hanger assembly" that will lightly hold the tubes forever.. I might have added .25g with this..I doubt it though.

Pic #5. My miniature lumber yard. Everybody should have one.

I don't think I mentioned this, but a little FYI on this plane's design... as some might think its a "symetrical" wing... such is not the case though, it's definately "semi-symetrical".. and could even be considered a "modified flat-bottom".. and its evidenced greatly when the wing is turned over, and really is obvious from the start from my perspective(as it would be anyone actually building)... I'm expecting some really great flying from this plane.. I've flown wings like this before.. they can really do some stuff, and settle in beautifully.

Next up.... sheeting and cap-strips...
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:28 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
Thanks a bunch guys!.. I relate to what you'all are sayin'!.. Its kind of like self-imposed satisfaction.. isn't it great.. I'm already thinking about 3 projects ahead..
I think you've hit the essence of building. "Self imposed satisfaction".

Three projects ahead ??? You sound like me.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:37 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,267 Posts
Got a little more "satisfaction" done today...

Good afternoon gents... The wing is now off the board and ready for some further steps... but first... the California weather report... glue is flowing nicely along the western seaboard.. chance of showers tomorrow... dang I was thinking about going flying... and hopefully no radiation! We'll see.. it depends on whom you listed too....

Pic #1. and the temp today is...

Pic #2. Ready to pull off...not gonna lie.. it's getting a tad more tedious..but stll looks fine..

Pic #3. Servo-bay frame..

Pic #4. Center section/servo-bay

Pic #5. Wing total weight at this point..

Pic #6. Tail surfaces wood total weight..

At this point the wood is a fuzz over 14oz... I'm going to be weighing the rest of the components also, and see if I can figure a target weight.

Specs are 3.25lb-4.0lb for this kit version. Theres still the fuselage wood, and this wood will also be shaved and shaped considerably, so its too far to project any finished ball-park weight(except for what they say), but I'm getting closer.
Last edited by DGrant; Mar 17, 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:59 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
It was 75 in my shop, the other day. I had the thermostat turned up, to help my paint set up faster.

You'll know when the radiation gets there. You won't need the flash, when you take pics. Your parts will be glowing.

At the rate that you are building, you'll be covering in a week, or two.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:55 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,267 Posts
Good Morning Tom... Wow..wish I had a thermostat...haha.. The only one I have is the one in my head that tells me when to light the propane heater, or flip on the fan..

although I'm tempted to go ahead with a drop-ceiling and flooring for my garage, then I can solve some heat/cool issues...

but if I start that..I won't get to build such fun planes for a while.. and I've worked on this dang house for 3yrs..haha..I missed my planes, I didn't know how much though. Life's good... I'm going to get to work....
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:27 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
Why I need the termostat
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:37 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,267 Posts
A few more of the wing..

Good Morning! Its a lovely little rainy like morning here, not close to 75degrees today... and Tom..nice little heater you have there, and I'm glad you have a thermostat man...I'm sure it keeps that heater well controlled...its nice to be able to control your climate to that degree I'm sure.
I am fortunate I know to live in a very mild environment ...with alot of rain this year.. Its supposed to rain all week. Never the less...the wife wants to tackle some yard work today before it gets really soaked.. and it is a nice day for it at about 55-60degrees.

Here's a bit more progress.. as I putz with it a bit...

Pic #1. Wing end before plaining. Just as its built with about 1/16" or so oversize, on spars and sheeting. The cap-strips were installed flush with outside rib.

Pic #2. Wing after using dremel to get the spruce spars down to size, then used the 11" bar sander to plain the tip overall. The other wing-tip was done identically.

Pic #3. Wing is ready except for leading edge. The book calls for shaping the edge at this point. I'm not going to start to shape something... when I don't yet have the other component I'm shaping it too...

So... on to the fuselage, I'll shape the leading edge when I have the fuselage to compare and fit it too.

... changing plans over again... (and other chores) Have a great day.
Last edited by DGrant; Mar 19, 2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 03:10 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
I love it when a wing takes shape !
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:53 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,267 Posts
Starting of fuselage...

Not quite an open door day here in the valley...it rained non-stop all day...that's what I get for braggin on Cali weather.. oh well.. can always use rain.

So this first pic is for Tom... the reason I don't need a thermostat... not quite 100,000 btu's, but its heat.. haha.. and I used it today for sure... something tells me this one wouldn't cut it in your shop though.

Pic #2. The die-cut fuselage sides and doublers.. not bad. Everything came out very cleanly..this kit is only 12yrs old though, die-cutting had already evolved greatly. Just an FYI though.. the plans are dated 1998, I've had the kit in my possesion since 2000, so there's no laser cutting at all.

Pic #3. Closer look at the cutting..not bad at all. These identical sheets make 2 "opposite" sides.. as I'm very careful to note, and keep track of... yes...I've built 2 right sides before. I was about 12yrs old and attempted a Jr.Falcon..I wasn't quite ready for it, but I did learn and never forgot.

Pic #4. The major piece count of the fuselage. Not too many at all. The only thing not pictured is the sheeting and top-turtle deck area.

Pic #5. Doublers are in place. I dry fit everything first, as there's several relationships these must line up for...so it never hurts to study these things a bit. I have to say too, the tolerances are fairly tight on this plane, which I really like, It all fits very well, and I've had no surprises yet, again dry fitting helps that immensely.

Pic #6. Just after I set the main-frame with CA. The instructs say to use tape to hold the structure while gluing. I used rubber-bands, which I usually do. I even tried the tape(just because they said to use it), the bands are the key here though, as it simply lined up, locked in, and glued precisely.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:59 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,267 Posts
A few more fuselage pics...

Just a couple more for the night...

Pic #1. Fuselage top, after push-rod guide-tubes in place.

Pic #2. Fuselage bottom. Hatch railing in place.

Next step installing landing gear plate...
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:51 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
I never liked to build fuselages, probably because mine came out looking like banannas !!! LOL The process finally clicked, with me, and I now enjoy it.

Your's is looking good. As long as the dies are sharp, there is nothing wrong with die-cutting.

I prefer die cut kits, because the parts aren't always falling out, and getting lost.

That's a cute, little, heater that you have. It must really help to take the bite of those cold, 60 degree days.

Our snow is finally gone. Nature didn't like that idea. Up to 10" are predicted by Wed. morning.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:33 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Dgrant at almost this stage i tryed to put the wing through the fuse a little rough and put my fat fingers through the wing sheeting. daaa After fixing it i was able to get it through just by going slow and not in such a hurry. She looks great Dgrant cant wait to see her in covering. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:43 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,267 Posts
Good evening folks... Its another rainy day here, and will be for most of the week they say. The biggest set-back is the epoxy is taking forever to dry... oh well... and Tom, I can relate to the fuselage thing...not my favorite most of the time...at least in the beginning stages. Thanks a bunch for the compliments too. Fortunately we have a very small fuselage here, and its doing just what its intended, as I'm getting some much needed practice from it..can't go wrong there huh.

cracksme.. Thanks for the kind words man... ..I did notice the wing-sheeting is 1/16"..and thanks for the heads up... for sure.. its 90% balsa plane so it will be a little more fragile..I've got to remember that too... and you're so right on about the "taking the time".. I've got a motto I follow in my trade.."if it takes 10 times to get it right..then it takes 10 times...make it right"...no hurries here.

Some progress today... slow but sure..

Pic #1. The sub-landing-gear-plate installed. Very tight tolerance, and precise fit. As I waited for the glue to dry, I started marking the firewall for the engine mount. Its a square mount so it starts with center marks, horizontal/vertical.

Pic #2. Since the freaking glue is now taking over 2hrs on the landing gear plate.. I continued on the firewall, marking then drilling for engine-mount, fuel-line, and throttle push-rod. I used the GreatPlanes "DeadCenter" device, as it easily finds center of hole, then the sharp drill easily marks center of that hole... and the clamps.. you can never have too many. I use these for engines and mounts all the time...

Pic #3. The "DeadCenter" device. Won it at club-meeting..wouldn't have bought it, but now wouldn't be without it.

Pic #4. The firewall ready to drill. I did mark and drill the fuel-line and push-rod exits too. The tracing of the inner area, and corner of the mount was all I needed to mark and drill those.

Pic #5. Drilled... with a dang chip(upper right). Oh well.. anymore I just whittle off a chunk from some off-cut, and just CA and shove it in...then block it off.. and that's what I did with this one.. you couldn't tell when I was done. I mean.. its ply to start with..so its already bonded wood... ya know.

Pic #6. Decently finished firewall. I was going to install the blind-nuts but there's ample to do that anytime.. as I usually like to seat those in a fuzz of epoxy.

The landing gear block area might be dry, not going to push it though..