HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:55 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,783 Posts
True, these PS are all well protected and will shut down if overloaded or shorted, and the regulators protect the logic pins.... but.
They are designed to provide up to 100A @12V in some cases. Put that through a bit of thin wire in your fingers by mistake if you happened to touch a working power out and it will do an excellent exploding fuse imitation. Ouch.
Pretty unlikely I admit since you would have to get it working and simultaneously touch a power out - but it could happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linw View Post
The circ diagram for mine shows the -12V, -5V and +5 (stdby) being fed from LM337 (neg) and LM317 (pos) regulators which would make them overload/short safe.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:22 AM
Wellington, NZ
Joined Aug 2006
841 Posts
Agree, John. I was a bit slack with putting up this info. I just thought it would be useful knowledge for someone who had the PS4060. But these folk could look at the circ diagrams themselves!

My PSU is now in service waiting for me to need some big amps!
linw is offline Find More Posts by linw
Old Jul 04, 2010, 10:42 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2 Posts
Thanks to all the guys here, helped me made my 200A / 13V Power Supply!!

tbirdulm is offline Find More Posts by tbirdulm
Old Jul 05, 2010, 07:53 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xargon321 View Post
Try plugging the pins

. . . . . .
x . . . . .
. . . . . x
x . . . . .

and it should turn on i have a dell and that the ones i had to plug together to get to turn on and provide power
I have a supply for Dell PowerEdge 2850 (12V 57A max) and after reinventing the wheel, I saw this post . Grounding #19 fires up the 3.3V part, row 3 (-) and row 4 (+), only. Also gives some voltage on #18 and when this one is grounded, 12V output is turned on. I only get 11.9V though, both with a light load and noload.
Wish pinout was available. Maybe voltage can be adjusted via some of them?

Edit:
It happily delivered 48A to my charger and voltage was stable.
Part# Dell 7000814-0000

Connect both X's to ground (G):
. . - + . .
G . - + . .
G . - + . X
X . - + . .

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Last edited by flarssen; Jan 07, 2011 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old Jul 06, 2010, 10:26 PM
Wellington, NZ
Joined Aug 2006
841 Posts
Congrats, guys.

tbird, do you think 200A will be enough??!!! Any one for arc welding?

Now Fred with 57A. My 25A sounds downright puny. Anyway, it's enough for my uses for now and the foreseeable future.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 05:27 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by linw View Post
Congrats, guys.

tbird, do you think 200A will be enough??!!! Any one for arc welding?
200A are just enough to power my car hifi equipment when i'm at a carhifi-meeting
tbirdulm is offline Find More Posts by tbirdulm
Old Jul 13, 2010, 04:10 PM
Joined Jun 2010
1 Posts
Any one wanting to use the HP DSP-600PB / P/N 321632-001 575W 12.15V 47amp supplies, If you get the P/N 321633-001 board for it, you will get the connectors needed instead of soldering to it.. I found them for $12 or so... http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Convert.../dp/B001PPQXBY
strimarc is offline Find More Posts by strimarc
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:38 PM
Wellington, NZ
Joined Aug 2006
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Post would be clearer / have more meaning if you stated that .....

pins # ? and ? are on one side of a SPST (single pole,single throw) switch and the enable pin (# ?) is on the other side.

Al mine start and run fine with control contacts wired solid(allways connected together) so that is my set up.
I am looking at 3 x HP 511777-001 which look to be DL360 G6 460W PSU's. Are these the same as the ones in the quote?

Which contacts need to be connected to the short one?
Last edited by linw; Jul 14, 2010 at 04:38 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 03:29 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
i would like to use one of these to act as the power supply for a quadcopter i am in the process of building. i am thinking my quad, being that i will be just using this to set it up, test it out, trim it inside will pull less than 50A burst and probably hover around 14A or so. for these types of A what would the recommended ga wire be as i would like 20-25' of length if it isn't too large of ga. i will be using the xt60 connectors and as described spread the load across all the copper on the back.

also, just to verify, do i need any additional load or after it is started, it will be g2g?

last, what type of power cord do i need for one of these and do i need to get it at a specialty store as i read it wasn't a normal socket.

i understand that my use is about 1/2 give or take max of what this can put out, but i would like to have the headroom, and also from my readings, this seems like a very easy psu to modify to work for my needs.

it is late, so i am just verifying i didn't miss anything...

thanks in advance,
bob
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Last edited by bob4432; Jul 18, 2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:41 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,783 Posts
By "one of these" do you meant the original 1300 Watt HP supplies that started this thread? I ask since quite a few others have been discussed.

If so the answer is this supply will cope fine with the loads you propose and it needs no other modification. It will supply a constant 12.3V approx up to 50A no problem. The power cord is the high current variant of the "standard" IEC plug used on just about all computers. It has a different shape and pin configuration and can be hard to find unless you have a friend who works in the IT industry and can liberate one. You can buy them from the big suppliers but they tend to be a bit expensive. It is technically an IEC C19 16Amp plug - the ordinary ones are C13 10Amp. More info than you need to know about the IEC range of connectors here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_connector.

Sometimes these surplus supplies will come with them - mostly not. Simplest solution is just to solder the mains wires of an appliance cord to the three pins, suitably insulated with heat shrink of course! You will not be exceeding the current rating of ordinary appliance wiring.

On the connecting wire to the quadcopter - wire is wire, it's just a resistance. How much voltage drop can you tolerate between the supply and the input to the quadcopter? At 50 A you can then work out the resistance you can afford. There are tables that will give you the resistance per foot of any gauge wire.

My preferred alternative is the suck it and see method. Try some cheap twin flex and see what voltage you get at the copter. Long as the wire doesn't get too warm for comfort it doesn't matter to the supply. It will just keep pumping out 12.3V.

Hope this helps.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
i would like to use one of these to act as the power supply for a quadcopter i am in the process of building. i am thinking my quad, being that i will be just using this to set it up, test it out, trim it inside will pull less than 50A burst and probably hover around 14A or so. for these types of A what would the recommended ga wire be as i would like 20-25' of length if it isn't too large of ga. i will be using the xt60 connectors and as described spread the load across all the copper on the back.

also, just to verify, do i need any additional load or after it is started, it will be g2g?

last, what type of power cord do i need for one of these and do i need to get it at a specialty store as i read it wasn't a normal socket.

i understand that my use is about 1/2 give or take max of what this can put out, but i would like to have the headroom, and also from my readings, this seems like a very easy psu to modify to work for my needs.

it is late, so i am just verifying i didn't miss anything...

thanks in advance,
bob
Last edited by jj604; Jul 18, 2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 05:18 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Quote:
i would like to use one of these to act as the power supply for a quadcopter i am in the process of building. i am thinking my quad, being that i will be just using this to set it up, test it out, trim it inside will pull less than 50A burst and probably hover around 14A or so. for these types of A what would the recommended ga wire be as i would like 20-25' of length if it isn't too large of ga
Long power lreads as an input to a ESC is asking for troubles.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=32

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:03 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,783 Posts
Charles, good advice. Wire isn't just wire of course but I wasn't aware the inductance would be such an issue in this application. Always wondered about the short lead recommendation and that now makes sense.

Wonder if a small 10cell NiMh in the quadcopter to act as hefty drain to dump any spikes would work? Shouldn't have any other effect on the ESCand control circuit I would think. Just speculation.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Long power lreads as an input to a ESC is asking for troubles.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=32

Charles
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:31 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Bob explains the ratio in post here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=38

Caps cure the problem but I will leave it to the experts to calculate what value would be required.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 18, 2010, 09:00 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
thanks for the that bit of information charles. i will contact astrobob and ask for his assistance w/ this matter.
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:10 PM
Wellington, NZ
Joined Aug 2006
841 Posts
Interesting and potentially valuable info Charles/Astrobob. Thanks.