HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2013, 08:22 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,377 Posts
Help!
JETT 40 sport breakdown ?

I'll be getting a new one soon but got this one for practice/Sport. Its a sport 40 with Carb. It's Pretty Old. Been sitting around for years. I started to break down the Motor. I'm use to breaking down a TT pro 40. Never broke down a JETT. I got to where I think I would get the piston sleeve out but can't get it. I tried heating it up a bit. My main purpose for this is I would like to replace the Bearing. When I turn the crank between compression, it sounds like Roller Skating. It's pretty Gooky inside. I put it back together and it seems to run fine. But I'm still uncomfortable with the fact that I may need a new Bearing.
Dale 813 is online now Find More Posts by Dale 813
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2013, 06:50 AM
NMPRA 86T
United States, FL, Winter Haven
Joined Jan 2008
149 Posts
1. Take the muffler off.
2. Take the carburetor off.
3. Take the back plate off.
4. Take the head off.
5. Piston at bottom dead center, pull the sleeve out of the top.
6. Pull the piston & connecting rod off the crankshaft, and take it out of the top.
7. Use your terminal puller and take the knaurled prop back nut off.
8. Block of wood on the front crankshaft, lightly tap the crankshaft out with a hammer.
9. Replace bearings per instructions from the bearing manufacturer.
ScorpionRacing is offline Find More Posts by ScorpionRacing
Old Apr 06, 2013, 08:07 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,377 Posts
Damn Scott. I didn't know you got up that early ! ill try it again but I did all that and it seemed like the sleeve is stuck.
Last edited by Dale 813; Apr 06, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2013, 04:59 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
392 Posts
you might try a heat gun or hair dryer to warm things up a bit. Perhaps it's a bit of congealed castor oil that's essentially gluing it in?

I've never had to wrestle with a sleeve in a Jett, they've just come out.

If all else fails, don't grab the top with a pair of pliers... sometimes when dealing with a sticky sleeve, I've used something like a short piece of popsicle stick, laid on top of the piston with the piston in such a position that you can lay the wood piece on top and stick the end of the popsicle stick into one of the ports - then use a prop bolted on the front end of the engine to gently turn the engine, start lifting the sleeve that way. So far I haven't had a popsicle stick harm a piston or sleeve doing this, but experts might have other opinions.
fizzwater2 is online now Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Apr 09, 2013, 05:30 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwater2 View Post
you might try a heat gun or hair dryer to warm things up a bit. Perhaps it's a bit of congealed castor oil that's essentially gluing it in?

I've never had to wrestle with a sleeve in a Jett, they've just come out.

If all else fails, don't grab the top with a pair of pliers... sometimes when dealing with a sticky sleeve, I've used something like a short piece of popsicle stick, laid on top of the piston with the piston in such a position that you can lay the wood piece on top and stick the end of the popsicle stick into one of the ports - then use a prop bolted on the front end of the engine to gently turn the engine, start lifting the sleeve that way. So far I haven't had a popsicle stick harm a piston or sleeve doing this, but experts might have other opinions.
Thanks Fizz. I started scratching my head because I was wondering where the rest of the thread was. Then I realized I posted this in Engines also. Yep. Barry (Marrauder) told me about 50 50 Acetone & ATF. Along with PB blaster. I used Auto trans fluid and acetone and the sleeve started to come out. I got er all apart cleaned up and new bearing on the way. Also was able to Talk to Dub Jett himself. What a nice guy. He informed me that my motor is about 18 years old. I'll bet the bearing was that old too.