HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:29 AM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
1,060 Posts
Rave
Super fantastic manic building hour

I know there are a lot of fellow pilots out there who also love to build. I know I sure do. I also get a kick out of looking at pictures of other builds and workspaces.

Okay I have to confess... I am a compulsive builder. It seems my rule of thumb is that I need to start 3 projects in order to finish 1.

Being self employed I don't always have as much time as I would like to build and make posts and pictures to maintain a specific build thread.

Anyway I had an idea to make a thread that would be filled with a ton of this and that but always have tons of useful photos. In fact I want to have one rule and that is: NO POSTING WITHOUT A BUILD PHOTO OF SOME SORT

If you want to get a question answered but don't have some cools photos to post, just shoot a PM to whoever you want to get an answer from and they can answer in PM or in this thread with some photos.

So once again all posts without sweet images will be erased. Don't take offense, I just get sick of flipping thru these threads with page after page of words, Blech!

I am gonna start it off with this weasle'ish wing I bagged up a couple of weeks ago. Fun little ship 40" wing about 18oz and quite stiff and quick.

Enjoy!

Lee
killercando is online now Find More Posts by killercando
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2014, 09:00 AM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,099 Posts
I think maybe if there are replies with a diagram to depict an idea it would be warranted, that would help foster an inventive atmosphere instead of hours of debate, and anything remotely troll- like.

Here's my latest project that had started out as chicken scratch on some masking paper.

The first big idea was to reproduce a lead sled kinda thing I have so when the day the unspeakable happens it has fledgling to carry on the spirit. I'm about three months into producing molds, plugs, gathering materials, fabricating equipment, and getting my ducks in a row.
ploof is offline Find More Posts by ploof
Old Mar 28, 2014, 09:47 AM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,099 Posts
I'm going to post in order as the build progressed, and as I have time.

Here's the fuse being shaped out of four sticks of softer tight grain cedar, the segments help register the profiles symmetry. It's pretty close I mainly focused on truing it. The form is meant to be sleek, and strong so it looks a lot like a F3F, or F3B fuse.

Starting out the shaping after getting together a to scale sketch I liked first I transferred the top to bottom profile to the cedar. The length of the fuse plug is probably 4 feet, and change I'll have a more accurate number later with a gradual taper down the tail. 1/4 of an inch is lost top to bottom, and 1/8" is lost side to side. In the design the taper carries to the LE of the wing location, the nose region maintains girth into a gradual then slightly pointed, but not PNF form.

The shaping process started with an electric hand planer, onto a 3/21" belt sander in a jig with a right angle fence for ease of manipulation, then sanding blocks maybe 10"x3"x1/2" with PSA adhesive backed sand paper, then PSA on 1/8" plywood/door skin then straight up paper.

Also shown are the tail feather plugs.

The vert is 1/4" balsa sandwiching 1/16 hobby ply. The ply indicates the edge, and is dense enough to retain a sharpened profile. Where as the balsa is soft, and if I even breath on it it will suffer so I'm never using it again, and have since used poplar, basswood, or cedar for similar applications. The vert design is meant to get all the gear minus the Battery cells out of the fuse, and leave room for ballast.

The horizontal is salvaged from anther project it is a similar sandwich with glass, and resin on the outer layer. The elevator is full flying, with a 3 joiner configuration similar to what I'm using on this currant lead sled.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:22 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,567 Posts
clear coat mylars

for the JHTWF...
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:29 PM
Certifiable User
Joined Mar 2011
1,060 Posts
Ploof - Did you say Molded? Now we're talkin'

Nice Doc. I can't wait to see it fly.

I gotta put a link to your thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2113103

I been doing some of the same. This ones for Dang
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:10 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,099 Posts
What kinda clear are you guys using?

After getting the fuse, and stab bits cleaned up I started shoveling on the primer, then bondo, then more primer, with fits of sanding in between. After I started making a dent in the fuse, I started talking to a friend about his milling CNC DLG wing molds, and started mulling over some options. I do tons of DLG flying, and have been very impressed with how low drag the higher AR wings have become, and the thinner foils facilitating the speed increase even further. I wasn't to wild about just pumping out a 60"er so in talking to this friend it turned out adding 12" to each half in the same profile as the root chord wouldn't be to painful for him, and he said it was doable. So now there is this Zone V2, 84.4 something inches of span, thin foil, and root of 7.25" ish that I got dancing with sugarplums in my head.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:37 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,099 Posts
So then after I calmed down after finding this wing was in the works. I started coming up with a plan. I really wanted to keep this lead sled idea in my sights, but with this wing I can get some serious light air fun times going. Thinking about a way to do this I figured I would still keep running with the fuse, but modify it spit could be used primarily as a small 2 meter F3X ship, possibly handling similar conditions to my Espidita. Also the idea is that I will be able use the fuse to be refit with the original vert. to then function as the lead sled.

This new vert. is started as layers of 1/4" basswood with 1/16" basswood sandwiched in the center to give the location of the edge to help maintain a decent symmetry. Again I'm going with a cruciform configuration, because it's easier for me to build and accurately trim out with a full flying elevator.

After shaping the vert. to a form that suited my fancy I relieved the top of the boom at a tail moment which is roughly 2" further back then the Espadita.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:51 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,099 Posts
Then this started happening.

MDF top side beds.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 09:22 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,099 Posts
As I was changing gears with the fuse plug, I decided to go with a nose cone, and upside down servo tray as the means of dealing with more of a F3X build. The tray fits in the fuse after it's out of the mold. The nose cone is separated from the fuse after it's out of the mold.

I applied several layers of primer and bondo, to the fuse plug again finally reaching a surface quality that shows few eregularities. After getting a pretty nice looking primer coat I started loading on clear coat, this was then wet sanded down to 1600 grit. After getting the clear taken care of I then started addressing the rudder by cutting the desired surface from the vertical fin, then applied a rounded wiper surface to the rudder LE.

After addressing the rudder, I fabricated a tray plug which is a fair bit more slender then the fuse to allow a pretty thick nose cone. The tray runs clear back to the hinge line of the wing with the intent of using it to aid in reinforcement of the wing root area.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:38 AM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,099 Posts
At this point I've got my hands on the top surface molds. For starters I separated the two panels to see what I would be needing for a substrate, the MDF really needs a support. I used 3/4" ply to build boxes about 3" tall, each the length of the panels with five bulkheads per box, then glued, and screwed the box together. Let it cure up, then mounted the MDF while shimming, and trueing the MDF.

Once the MDF was ready I started cleaning up the raw surface removing the milling marks, I sanded the raw MDF almost down to a burnish, next I started loading up the MDF with MGS epoxy, as applying it I would heat the surface with a heat gun this would immensely help the epoxy absorb into the MDF.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 01:37 PM
Certifiable User
Joined Mar 2011
1,060 Posts
Thats looking great Ploof. You need to hurry up with all that honey do so you can get this sucker in the air.

Here is the happy ending of the Capitol Hill Version of this little wing being called the S.S. ( mods won't like the unabreviated name, Lets just say everybody will get a turn with her). Will be in the mail to Dang on Monday ( sorry for the delay).

Lee
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:01 PM
Boulder Sloper
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Mar 2005
311 Posts
Good day in the shop today. Been laid-up with the gout for a week or so, so not much time spent in the shop. It was good to be back in the shop. NASCAR on shop Tv and caught the last of the golf tourney, then slipped out and flew slope for about half an hour. It was a great day.
slopeboulder is offline Find More Posts by slopeboulder
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:21 AM
Certifiable User
Joined Mar 2011
1,060 Posts
Slope Boulder - That big V Tail looks sweet, and a vario in a pint sized tip launch!? Gotta love Frsky! Thank you for posting. I would love to see these come together.

I am doing a couple more lost foam fuselages for this little plank...
Old Jun 06, 2014, 11:46 PM
Certifiable User
Joined Mar 2011
1,060 Posts
Whew Slope Boulder brought some cool toys to the slope last month. How about a HUGE P-38 based on a few usable parts from an old power short kit. Details were beautiful and it was a ripper.

What a cool Bird. It makes me want to do a big PSS'er
Old Jun 07, 2014, 06:21 AM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
6,200 Posts
Phil's Da Man!!!
MATIN is offline Find More Posts by MATIN