It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Build Log
Guillows SPAD

This is another of the Aerowerkes SRKs.

http://dpcmodels.homestead.com/SRKS.html

It is the WW3 Guillows model that is no longer kitted by Guillows, but the lasercut SRKs are great and at $18 a pop are hard to resist.
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; Jun 29, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:15 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,734 Posts
Cool!
What are you going to equip it with?
Dihedral? Ailerons?
My little Camel is one of DPC's kits. Have the Albatros and Neuport 28 in the stash too.
These kits are a great bargain! Check them out at http://dpcmodels.homestead.com/
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:26 AM
Round engines & two wings...
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Mar 2013
217 Posts
Watching!
WWI_Flying_Ace is offline Find More Posts by WWI_Flying_Ace
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:54 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Hi Glenn, The servos will be the 1.7gram linear ones for the ailerons, like I used on the Albatross D5a. The rudder and elevator will be the 2. gram ones, the 282A version. The esc is the 6 gram HK branded Hobbywing. The motor a C10 2900 kv (I like the AP05, but they are pricy compared to this one, and it seems pretty good). The radio is the OrangeRx R415. The battery will be the 180 mah nano tech. There is a dropping diode in the power line from the esc.The SPAD has a straight wing with ailerons.

This is another like the Camel with very little nose sticking out so I am cramming everything in front of the wing.
Last edited by LenBFP; Jun 29, 2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 02:14 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,734 Posts
Nice selections. Should have plenty of power.
Camel has plenty of power using the 8.5mm motor on a single cell. My model needed nose weight so might as well make it useable weight with the additional cell and brushless.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 02:24 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Your Camel is a good looking plane, is it the dpc model or the srk? The srk models are bigger and heaver, I did a dpc (actually KS02) albatross DII and it was fine with a single cell and brushed rig from a 4site I got on sale for less than the parts.
Last edited by LenBFP; Jun 29, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 02:54 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,734 Posts
Camel is the Guillows WW6 SRK. Had a small problem with the landing gear that has been fixed and it's ready for continued flight trials. The trim is getting close. Too bad there is an 80% chance of rain and winds 15-20 tomorrow.
I have that Albatros DII kit too! It was given to me and looks like it will make a nice conversion.
Have you been following Pete Rake's EZEDope experiments? I'm thinking it is just thinned polycrylic. Thinking of building something to try it out along with revisiting the printed tissue.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 04:01 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
I just read the EZDope experiments. Interesting. It would be nice if it turns out to be like WPU.

After installing the motor, it was obvious the big hole in the front needed some treatment. This was easy, some strips cut from 1/32".
Last edited by LenBFP; Jun 29, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:51 PM
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2004
905 Posts
No time for modeling now, but on the frequency, Len.
Jugjock is offline Find More Posts by Jugjock
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:41 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Chris,I have more time now that I have been retired. Still have a lot of catching up to do on house and yard maintenance, but am starting to make time for modeling again.

I think it is ready to cover.
Last edited by LenBFP; Jun 30, 2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:16 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,656 Posts
Len,

Nice start on a rare model. Will you fly it outdoors, or will it be an indoor model?

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:38 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Hi Steve, there are not many places to fly indoor around where I live, it sure would be nice if there were. It will be an outdoor flier, I am hoping it has plenty of power to deal with a bit of wind and turbulence.

The lower wing and empennage were covered this morning, painted the struts and landing gear. The SPAD was either metal or wood up to the cockpit and fabric elsewhere. I'm on the fence as to whether to sheet the front, or just cut out the access covers and glue that to the covered model. I photoshopped some cooling vents and will make some decals to put on the access covers and the bottom of the nose.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:54 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,734 Posts
On my Camel I cut the access panel out of tissue and doped it on. After paint the outline was traced with a fine .3mm felt tip pen and the screws are dots made with the same pen. Tissue panels with your louver decals should look pretty good.
Glenn
Old Jul 01, 2013, 12:54 AM
United Kingdom, England, East Riding of Yorkshire
Joined Jan 2011
607 Posts
Hi Len – Glad to see you back making models – your Spad looks as though it should be a good flyer, nice work! Look forward to seeing some air shots.
Best
Charles
Spitfire1954 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire1954
Old Jul 02, 2013, 12:49 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
The tissue hatch sounds like a move in the right direction. Good approach Glenn.

Charles, I'm happy to be back making models.

I forgot to mention it, but I took a couple of degrees of incidence off the lower wing mount. It looked excessive for a non rubber powered model.

The pushrods are carbon fiber with wire ends to keep down the weight in the tail.

The fuselage is finally ready to cover, then it will be assembled and the top of the wing covered after connecting the servos.
Last edited by LenBFP; Jul 02, 2013 at 12:55 PM.