Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:09 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Sep 2011
109 Posts
Discussion
HZ Super Cub Float and Prop Issues

I'm training my girlfriend to fly and the HZ Super Cub was my bird of choice. She has had a few successful flights on land with me on a trainer cord. We decided to go to the lake today so I installed the float set including the bigger prop that comes with the set. Now to the problems. With the floats on the plane I had such poor control that I was only able to have one successful take off. I checked to make sure everything was aligned and installed properly and it was. With the new prop installed If I give it full throttle the throttle cuts out completely until I throttle it all the way down and back up again. Has anyone else had these problems? Is there a fix? Thanks in advance.
CnadianFF is offline Find More Posts by CnadianFF
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2013, 09:51 PM
Joined Feb 2012
486 Posts
It sounds like a battery problem. Either you aren't using a fully charged battery or it is bad and dropping voltage to the cut off level when you stress it. LVC will cut power intended to save batteries. Typically closing and opening throttle will provide enough power to land provided you are gentle on the throttle.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:40 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
I had the same problem and found that it does need a 100% charge on the battery. Once I fully charged the batt I found no more problems. As far as control on the water I would recommend the optional water rudder. I tried mine without and with a slight breeze (4 to 5 MPH), it did want to whip around on taxi and take off..

Thanks
RCWYOMING is offline Find More Posts by RCWYOMING
Old Jun 22, 2013, 06:04 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
What I did was hold full up and full throttle until the SC came up on step, then it would jump off the water, then I would throttle back, level out the SC and you will be good to go.

I still don't use water rudders. I fly mine without them. Too much work for me to put water rudders on the SC. My opinion only.

I have about 300 flights on my SC on floats. I love it. It is my go to airplane for float flying. My old log cabin sits just 35 feet from the sea wall and then it is another 15 feet of dock to drop my plane in the water. Been terrible weather here for float flying, but I am sure that will all change in a day or tow.

Make sure your batteries are fully charged. I get about 8-10 minutes on one battery. I am still using stock batteries in my SC, even though I have gone brushless.

Remember you only want to take about 66 to 75 % out of your battery. They will last longer doing that. So that will give you about 10 minutes max or maybe a couple more minutes if you need to abort a landing.

Have a lot of fun with your SC and by all means, report back with photos and such so we know what happens.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jun 22, 2013, 07:00 AM
A disaster in the making.
United Kingdom, England, Selby
Joined Jan 2013
379 Posts
The 10x8 float prop is very marginal using stock HZ cub electrics, as some others have said, you are experiencing an LVC event due to battery voltage drop at full throttle and that prop.
Damnandblastit is offline Find More Posts by Damnandblastit
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:04 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,192 Posts
What Damnandblastit said.

The 10x8 float prop is the ORIGINAL NiMh prop. The motor and ESC were NEVER designed for 3S. Frankly the 10x8 is pushing the ESC into the danger zone. LVC cut-out is extremely common with this setup. Burning out the ESC is not uncommon.
It's a VERY poor combo and unfortunately still recommended by Horizon (stupid IMO).

Orrin said he loves the floats but notice he also went brushless. This means a NEW (probably way better) ESC and he obviously knows how to take care of batteries. He is not comparing apples to apples. His Cub is not stock, even if he does use stock batteries,

It's about a 13A MAX ESC. On the 10x8 it pulls 19A. The extra power is required to get a float set off the water.
If the battery is weak or your particular ESC is lame (QA on the ESC is all over the map) then you end up with your problem.
A new better battery may help if it's the battery but you still risk burning out the ESC if you use much more than 15-30 seconds of full throttle.
If it's the ESC, the only help is replacement with a better one.

Note-the LVC for the stock ESC is set pretty low (not adjustable, about 2.8-2.9v/cell). If you fly to LVC on a routine basis you have been damaging the lipo which could be part of your problem. IMO the stock lipo is a poor performer and a poor value. It's main attribute is simplicity of ordering and not needing to change connectors.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Last edited by flydiver; Jun 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:31 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
I flew my SC stock until the rec's went south. I had sprayed them with Corrosion-X, red label, to protect them from the water that may get to the rec/esc. Since replacing the rec is expensive, I chose to go brushless.

When it was original, I did what I do with the brushless was the same.

I would drop the plane in the water, hit the throttle and when the SC comes up on step, I continue to go as fast as will go and then when it breaks the water, I throttle back. I used the stock prop from the float kit, it worked great. I had no trouble with the stock setup. My biggest problem was the rec/esc's that went bad. I would plug in the battery, the rudder, elevator would start to move, with no imput from the transmitter. I would throttle up, the motor would go, then all of a sudden it would take off, then quit, start stop. When the tailfeather started moving without input, that was it. $50 for a rec/esc, was way too much. I went brushless and the total cost was more than the original even going cheap, but now I can replace each part, much cheaper. I got a motor and esc from Heads Up RC. The rec is a standard Spectrum AR61000 so I had about $50 for a rec, $25 for a esc and about the same for a motor. So far I wouldn't trade the set up. I also had to buy a motor mount, all aluminum which is great.

Part of the SC is lame in my opinion. The rec/esc is the most problem. I think Brushless is the way to go.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:24 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,192 Posts
Cub electrics are a major reason for upgrading. I fully agree, the RX/ESC is the weakest (and most expensive) component in the power plant. The float prop rapidly brings this problem to light.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jun 23, 2013, 02:21 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
The SC is a very nice flying plane. Even with the stock stuff, I flew on off the land until I burned up a motor. I had an extra motor or two and I flew it a lot. Finally the esc/rec went bad, then I switched it over. I have 2 SC's one on floats, one on wheels.

I love it. I got lots of flights on both SC's.
Enjoy them a lot.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2013, 06:30 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Sep 2011
109 Posts
Thanks for the help guys you all seem dead on. I went back to the stock prop and no issues with it cutting out or taking off on water. I still have the water control issue but with a little practice I can use the wind and take off no problem. I'm just used to my Icon-A5 which is like it's on rails in the water.
CnadianFF is offline Find More Posts by CnadianFF
Old Jun 24, 2013, 07:59 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
There is a huge difference between the Icon-5 and the SC. Totally different airframes. The Icon is a slick flying. Very fast, power on when landing and then at the last second chop the throttle. SC needs some power to fly slow, don't chop the throttle too early, you will get a tip stall right now. Just as it settles onto the water then chop the throttle.

Also, what altitude are you. Remember higher up from sea level, you need different prop pitches to make the plane preform.

I don't know the facts, but I have run across lots of posts where fellows have had trouble with higher elevations. I am sure there is a thread on that somewhere here.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2013, 01:48 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,157 Posts
Well one way to slove the under power stuff is do what Tim the tool man does MORE POWERMake it a REAL SUPER CUB I dropped in a PZ T-28 480 brushless motor with it's motor mount ( just screw in the top part of the mount fit's in the top holes and drill the two bottom your good to go thrust line taken care of 30amp ESC and 2.4 Spectrum Rx, put ailerons on it too easy cut out, 2200 3s battery and t-28 prop presto!!!) It gets off the water no problem, and throttle back and enjoy the flying. Helps to paint it "CUTE" looking too she'll love you for that. Keylime green and buggy eyes and little lady bugs on the floats LOL. No water rudder needed as the prop wash over the tail works really well. Try it you'll have more fun in the sun
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER