HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:21 PM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Oct 2013
1,339 Posts
Long and short, it has to do with the style of wing loading and the lift in which said wing creates?
Jezzejamez is online now Find More Posts by Jezzejamez
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2014, 07:29 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzejamez View Post
Long and short, it has to do with the style of wing loading and the lift in which said wing creates?
More about which part of the wing stops creating lift relative to the rest of the wing.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jul 29, 2014, 08:25 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tauscnc View Post
Hi Tim,

Agree the flare out is very important... first prop in 7 flights I believe, so I guess not to bad.

I have a question... why do some planes use Flaperons and others, such as the Rifle use Spoilerons. I note "slower" airplanes seem to use flaps... I noted this 10+ years ago with my Ultra Sport 40, spoilers made for an easier landing as its a slippery pattern type airplane.

Also have you experimented with more spoilers than the recommend amount and if so what are the effects.

thanks!
Tauseef
Hi Tauseef.

I have to admit, I do not know the aerodynamics behind flaperons vs. spoilerons. I do know that unanimously planes configured like the Rifle 1M (relatively high wing loading, thin airfoil, high aspect ratio, inboard ailerons) use spoilerons.

After the regular Rifle, my next racer-type was a Sunracer. At first I used flaperons and was quite happy with them. But others urged me to use spoilerons instead. So then I did back-to-back flight comparisons with flaperons vs. spoilerons and even then I still preferred flaperons (my testing is documented in the Sunracer VIII thread starting about here if you wanted to re live my experience:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...nracer&page=19 )

But after a little more experimenting I came to realize that the plane was more stable on landing with spoilerons, so that's what I started using and have never changed.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
Old Jul 29, 2014, 09:51 PM
Joined Jan 2013
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNC View Post
30 amp esc? I think the stock motor pulls 50 amps + on 3s and like high 30's on 2s.
What do you mean how do we keep the motor wires from eating themselves.

Gotcha, I was wondering
It is an outrunner with the wires folded around it. I was thinking of making two tiny holes in the side of the fuse and run a tiny wire or maybe a zip through and tie them to the side to hold them away from the motor.
You know most hobby things are highly over rated . (AKA fraud, lies, etc) A 30A ESC will most likely actually be 20A.
9Mach is offline Find More Posts by 9Mach
Old Jul 30, 2014, 08:45 AM
Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
442 Posts
Finished assembling mine last night. Only complaint I have is that there was some glue (epoxy?) in the thread of one of the wing blind-nuts, so I couldn't get the bolt in.

I managed to get a 4-40 bolt in, in the end, but still can't get the supplied bolt in one side. I wonder if maybe the blind-nut was wrong?
sihinch is offline Find More Posts by sihinch
Old Jul 30, 2014, 09:13 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,661 Posts
They wouldn't have substituted a 4-40 blind nut for a 3mm blind nut. Probably just some glue got into the threads.

The included wing bolts are 3mm. I wonder if using a 4-40 bolt will be secure.

You should be able to clean out the threads just by running a 3mm tap through the blind nut. Smallish, but pretty common and should be able to get from the tool section at a hardware store or a hobby shop.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:00 PM
IL
Joined Nov 2002
164 Posts
Also if you don't have a 3mm tap available (best option) you can use another 3 mm bolt and cut a slot into it with a dremel cut off wheel or grinder.

Run the bolt a few times to clean out the threads.

I've used that in a bind when a 3mm tap was not readily available.

Tauseef
tauscnc is offline Find More Posts by tauscnc
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:04 PM
Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
442 Posts
Will I have damaged the thread with the 4-40 bolt?
sihinch is offline Find More Posts by sihinch
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:12 PM
IL
Joined Nov 2002
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihinch View Post
Will I have damaged the thread with the 4-40 bolt?
I doubt it. The 4-40 if I recall is just a tiny bit thinner than the M3 bolt. The M3 has a finer pitch on the threads.

I'd just cut a slot in another M3 and run it through. See f it holds.

Probably easiest way for now.

tauseef
tauscnc is offline Find More Posts by tauscnc
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:20 PM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Oct 2013
1,339 Posts
Today was a great flying day. While I was out mainly testing out some mega motors a good friend hooked me up with. Between flights I did have the rifle 1m up. I had 3 65c batts and one 55c 3s. Wot the whole flight 3:30 almost 4min flight. I had the cam set up, wish I could share it but the angle was horrible and out of the 10 min video you only see the rifle 1m 3 times the rest I was out of frame. Sounded sweet though. Sunday I'll try again. I need some more footage to practice editing. My GPS should be here Friday so I'll be able to get some good speed test....
Jezzejamez is online now Find More Posts by Jezzejamez
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:36 PM
RC,ROBOTICS,LASERS
Clovis,Ca.
Joined Sep 2006
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzejamez View Post
Today was a great flying day. While I was out mainly testing out some mega motors a good friend hooked me up with. Between flights I did have the rifle 1m up. I had 3 65c batts and one 55c 3s. Wot the whole flight 3:30 almost 4min flight. I had the cam set up, wish I could share it but the angle was horrible and out of the 10 min video you only see the rifle 1m 3 times the rest I was out of frame. Sounded sweet though. Sunday I'll try again. I need some more footage to practice editing. My GPS should be here Friday so I'll be able to get some good speed test....
If have good audio you can do doppler off of the video.
n-2-stuff is offline Find More Posts by n-2-stuff
Old Jul 31, 2014, 01:49 AM
The Future is Gnar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2011
148 Posts
Esprit shows one in stock. I'd buy it, but I have one on back order from Tower. I've taken on other projects and kinda back-burnered the rifle for now. Days are getting noticeably shorter here in MN...

http://www.espritmodel.com/rifle-1m-...racer-arf.aspx

Hope somebody here gets it. I think they have 11% off store-wide for the next 48 hrs too.
fluxcapacitor121 is offline Find More Posts by fluxcapacitor121
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:24 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,279 Posts
gone now
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer