HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Nov 2012
3 Posts
Discussion
FlySky FS-T6 vs Turnigy 9x?

Hello,

I'm looking for advice to which radio to purchase. I'm new to the 4ch+ heli, but I pickup fast. I have a WL V911 on its way from China, and when I get board with that I would like to build a HK 450GT FBL. I don't currently have any plans to fly planes. Should I get the 6ch radio or the 9ch? I understand that the Turnigy and FlySky 9ch radios can be flashed and have tons of options. Is there any need for me to get a 9ch radio? I like the look of Flysky FS-T6 better than the Turnigy 6XS. Thank you!
N2GN2 is offline Find More Posts by N2GN2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:52 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,049 Posts
Either or would be good for either or, just depends what you're willing to spend. Everyone's gonna tell you to get what they use, which ain't necessarily a bad thing, but it boils down to what you can afford, and the Turnigy is the cheapy of the bunch, but a good radio from what I've read...
and I believe the 2 you describe are one and the same...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:31 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
387 Posts
I don't own either...so my advice is worth what you paid for it.

It seems to me though, that the Turnigy 9x is the world standard for entry level radios. There's a TON of support out there, countless threads about every possible mod and problem, and many, many people who likely use the exact same radio for the exact same helicopter that you are planning to use (whatever that might eventually be).

You won't use the extra channels unless you get into scale features like lights and retracts...but I would choose the 9x just for the support network. Plus, isn't it the cheaper radio?
Chubbs is offline Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:33 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,378 Posts
I never thought I'd use more than 6 channels.... then I got into quads. Now I'm thinking 9 channels would be real nice.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:36 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,255 Posts
The only difference is the color(some of the Turnigys are grey) and stamped name, everything else is Identical. The FlySky TH9x is the rebranded Turnigy. I own one and I think it was a great purchase.There are also many modifications and firmware updates you can do to the radio that make it far more versatile.

er9x Turnigy Flash Radio Control Upgrade from beginning to end! Firmware soldering eePe etc (20 min 18 sec)
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:32 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
I have a fs-th9x, it flies my helicopters fine, and has no shortage of channels, but if I had it to do over I would have bought a spectrum dx8.

The th9x doesn't bind to the popular BNF without modification and it does not plug and play with simulators without modification OR special drivers.

All that said, it is a nice radio for the price.
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:50 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Actually

Flysky made the Turnigy 9x , and under 2 other names as well .. [ was one Urgle ? ]

Anyhow , I have the Flysky 9x and the Turnigy 9x ..

I like the flysky a fraction more as the aerial is on the module .. But Turnigy is bringing out the 9XR [ another manufacturer I think ]

Now to the 450 part . 6 Channels is all you need , unless you plan on doing some thing else other than fly the heli ...

ZD makes a decent 7 chnl Tx , and there are quite a few Brands using this base Tx , its been around for a while , and the two I have had , have been good .
Hobby king started using it recently .
+ I dont know what happen to the HK Yellow or Orange ? Tx that was flaunted a little while ago .

Its getting to the point where the FS-T6 needs to be cheap [ buying price ] other wise their are alternative choices that may be better ..

At this time I would advise to hold off till after Christmas new year as there is a definite price rise going on , some call it the Christmas gouge .

After New Years prices should drop as folks try to clear left over stock .
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:41 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFDelie View Post
I have a fs-th9x, it flies my helicopters fine, and has no shortage of channels, but if I had it to do over I would have bought a spectrum dx8.

The th9x doesn't bind to the popular BNF without modification and it does not plug and play with simulators without modification OR special drivers.

All that said, it is a nice radio for the price.

I got mine to work with RealFlight G5 no problem..
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Nov 2012
3 Posts
Thank you everyone for your input! I will keep researching. Feel free to add anything you feel would be helpful.
N2GN2 is offline Find More Posts by N2GN2
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:24 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,583 Posts
T9X is a very good value. I have it hooked up to five helis and two quads. Not one failure and nice TX. Why buy a 6 ch when for small amount of $$ you can get more channels and better radio. Spectrum/Futaba/ JR/ Hi-Tech make good radios but much more moola. You pay for the name.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:08 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
I'll buck the trend here, I had trouble with my th9x. Main issue being lag between stick input and servo movement, never did manage to solve it.
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old May 27, 2013, 02:17 PM
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Apr 2013
7 Posts
Saying this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
T9X is a very good value. I have it hooked up to five helis and two quads. Not one failure and nice TX. Why buy a 6 ch when for small amount of $$ you can get more channels and better radio. Spectrum/Futaba/ JR/ Hi-Tech make good radios but much more moola. You pay for the name.
Saying this what would be your to choice cost vs usability vs quality?
Thx
JRServo is offline Find More Posts by JRServo