HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:45 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
151 Posts
Mossie Wing Rebuild

Hi Guys, an update on my Mossie wings rebuild. General comment on the rebuild is that it is fitting together much better and very clean. Really pleased and I think the extra effort required is going to be well worth it.

The photo show the progress, Thanks for your comments and support.

All Best Rod
Roddie is online now Find More Posts by Roddie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:58 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
151 Posts
Mossie wing Rebuild

Hi all who are watching this thread.

I have continued on fitting the flaps and tried several methods and come up with one I like.
I tried my previous method and it looked too messy so tried a few others. Finally produced one that gives the desired movement, Flaps to 45 deg. and back again. Added the servo and then mounted (very roughly) the removable PVC rear nacelle (made for the other wing) but it shows the flap movement and servo fits within the Rear Nacelle design.

Next are the ailerons, I have some ideas of how to build in a hidden connector (Checked with some local model builders and they think it could work) So I will give it a try.

Check the progress, I always appreciate comments as I am looking for new ideas and better ways to build.

All best Rod
Last edited by Roddie; Jul 15, 2014 at 02:43 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 09:48 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,161 Posts
KEEP ON GOING YOUR GIVING ME IDEAS;;;; SO WHEN I DO GET BACK TO THIS BUILD I'LL HAVE A NEW WAY OF LOOKING AT THIS SYSTEM.

I STILL WANT TO SEE WHAT YOU DO W/ THE LG ON THIS?

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Jul 18, 2014, 03:04 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
151 Posts
Mossie ing Rebuild

Hi all, Bruce hope your camping goes OK and the weather treats you kindly.

Well I started on the ailerons and spoke to some local flyers and in particular the one who will fly my Mossie first. He told me that frequently the ailerons are built to be light and not strength. This causes a problem where they twist, particularly when their movement is controlled from one end.. (That is exactly what I proposed). He made a suggestion of how to strengthen the ailerons . The photos show my current status.

To morrow is a long day where I hope to correctly locate all the hinge points and install the hidden actuator.

All the best Rod
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:04 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,161 Posts
Thank you Roddie....I like the W reinforcement on the Ailerons and the brass tubes to extend the hinges position.

Well the car is loaded and we leave in 2 hrs...Talk to you around the 28th,

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:50 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
151 Posts
Mossie Wing Rebuild

Hi Bruce, hope your trip goes well, enjoy. That hill over there is also starting to beckon to me as well, so this just might be the last post for a while.

Bruce I was talking to some of the model builders and they also suggested to have Al tubes inserted up to R5 to provide additional support when the wings are joined. A 10 mm tube close the forward bulkhead and a smaller one to the rear. They thought that the current method was to flimsy and the wings would fold up on a hard turn or dive. Any comments ????

I continued on with the Ailerons and have a 20 deg movement up and down and ready to glue the wing tip on. Ready to glue the brass hinge extenders tomorrow. Then work on the hidden connector.

All best Rod
Last edited by Roddie; Jul 23, 2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:27 PM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
380 Posts
I think the support tubes would be a good idea. Should be plenty of support in case you have an oops flying and have to pull some g's. Normal flying with mine is 3-4 g's on the bottom of a loop. With momentary shock of up to 6-7 on landing even with sprung gear according to telemetry. Top level flight speed of 87 mph. Highest recorded is 127 so far. Old Eagle Tree system.

Rob
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Jul 25, 2014, 05:36 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
151 Posts
Mossie Wing Rebuid

Thanks Rob, now I have to work out how to achieve it. I noticed that Guillaume has the rear support much shorter than the front and definitely the front one is bigger.

I completed a little bit of work on the Ailerons then started on the R5 and R6 extensions. These ribs are made out of compressed 8 ply, very strong so I made some weight reducing rebates. They fitted well and have them located in position, but not glued yet, just small screws. (these can be removed once glued. Measured the front Landing gear support to make sure it is parallel with the rear LG location.
All Ok so far.
Again many thanks Rob I will check with Guillaume on his approach
All best Rod
Old Jul 31, 2014, 02:16 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
151 Posts
Support Hole Jig

Bruce/Rob and any others who would like to give me some ideas of how to insert the support tubes.

I found this on Guillaume's web blog, and it can be used for a Drill jig. Support the wing so it is at 5 deg. angle (R1) should be flat to the face. Then drill (carefully) two holes the required size and drill (after lots of smaller holes and checking). Sounds easy but I don't think so.

Question: Guillaume has used a 25 mm Front support and a smaller rear one. He appears to used a non metal tube for both. What do you think would be suitable size and material. Given that I also have to source that support tubes to fit neatly into both.

Thanks Guillaume for the picture and Bruce I hope your camping trip went well. You must tell us about it, with some photos too.

All best Rod
Old Yesterday, 04:12 AM
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Mar 2012
45 Posts
Hi Roddie, looks like its coming together nicely.After your earlier posts I've been contemplating using a caron fibre wing tube. The standard size for a 2m F3a model is 7/8" with a .035" wall like
http://airsail.co.nz/cart/index.php?...roducts_id=683
plus they're easy to glue in.
grahamj4 is online now Find More Posts by grahamj4
Old Today, 03:47 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
151 Posts
Thanks Graham, I have already had look and can use the PBG 101TS CARBON TUBE AND SLEEVE for the rear support and the PBG103TS CARBON TUBE & SLEEVE for the front. Many thanks, that was just the advise I was looking for.

How's the weather, here its all over the place, and I mean all over the place. In Canberra it was nearly 20 deg C and the next day -2 deg and snowing. Followed by 8 deg and rain !!! Hope you are getting better. In Townsville it is sunny and 27 deg !!!!!! Lucky I am in Townsville.

All best Rod