Old May 31, 2012, 11:17 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Sweet carbon mount CD.

OK guys, now the flight update on the Torque motor and various props.

I tested in flight today the Vox 13x6.5, Vox 13x5, and apc 13x4.

First flight with the Vox 13x6.5, now the spinner is balanced it feels heap more pick up in the thrust. Very stable harrier, both upright and inverted and hover very easy, less then half throttle.
APC 13x4, quite surprising it was quite punchy, I didn't expect it to be like that but it felt very revy, sounded revy and pick up was a lot quicker than the V13x6.5, although the plane acceleration was not as fast. Also felt like plane top speed was a little slower.
The apc 13x4 felt better in pop tops and tumbles but makes a hell of a lot more noise then the V13x6.5.

Vox 13x5, once again a surprise, but in the other direction. Didn't like it, the prop made the plane feel sluggish, didn't accelerate as hard as the other two props and harriers and hovers were a lot more tricky to control. Vertical performance a lot worse than the V13x6.5 or the apc 13x4 in MHO.

I guess, my favorite now is the Vox 13x6.5 on the 820kV motor and Turnigy 40C4s2200 cells.
I'm set at 6minutes on the timer and came down at about 71% used mA.

I'll run this way for a while and extend my timer in 15 sec intervals and see how things look and where I feel the lipo start to sag.

Currently at 6 minutes there is zero loss of punch in the lipo that I can feel, probably the 40C holding up pretty well so far.
Well... I never expected those results on the APC 13x4 and the Vox 13x5.

I ordered a couple Xoar 13x5's today and will give them a try - hope my results are positive. I'll post back in as soon as they arrive and I get it tested.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 11:21 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,865 Posts
How do you balance a spinner?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:09 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
That's still a lot more RPMs than I got on the 15x6 I tested on my 638, but that prop to 7650 is still only 563 Watts-out so 366W consumed and 23.9A... and a slow 43.4 mph, but I'll bet you can hover around like a Blade 500 with that prop on a 48.

Did you feel the torquing when you throttled up with that prop? That was very pronounced on the Edge, along with the heat, so I took it off after one try. I was more worried about the motor box than about the motor.
Those figures were with a Xoar 15x7.. not a 15x6. Torque wasn't noticeably any more pronounced than with a 14" prop but I was running the motor in the 51" span Hobbyking Slick, so a larger model than a 48" EXP

Power out calculates out to 689W using the Pk that you arrived at from your own testing on this prop (1.08), so that comes to 74% efficiency which is within the 'ok but not great' range.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:23 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1 View Post
They also sell the Carbon mount for the motor. Now Ive broken 3 motor mounts and if this one has the 25mm inner holes and 50mm outer holes, it will fit all the other motors and the mount.

For $4.50, its a bargain if it means I wont break any more mounts
I'm also going through motor mounts at an alarming rate.. that one looks good except for the important point that 50mm outer holes wont fit the 48" EXP's.. they have mount plates for with drilling on 43mm centres. Slotting the holes in the cross mount is an option if the motor box mounting plate itself is large enough to take the bigger cross mount?

Steve
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:30 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
How do you balance a spinner?
Its a carbon spinner I have and as its hand made plus I had to cut the prop opening a bit I guess it was out of balance.

Basically, using the dubro balancer, I fit the spinner back plate up to the balance shaft, fit the spinner to the back plate and checks its balance.

Found I had to put several drops of thick CA in the outer circumference of the spinner to get it balanced.

When it was out of balance it must have been robbing heaps of amps from the system with that wobble that was almost not noticeable.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:12 AM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I'm also going through motor mounts at an alarming rate.. that one looks good except for the important point that 50mm outer holes wont fit the 48" EXP's.. they have mount plates for with drilling on 43mm centres. Slotting the holes in the cross mount is an option if the motor box mounting plate itself is large enough to take the bigger cross mount?

Steve
Youre right, I meant its 50mm on the diagnal from the ends, not the holes...it is 43mm center to center on the diagnal outer holes
I just bought a Scorpion mount that fit perfectly after my last one broke and Im pretty sure the carbon one is a perfect fit.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:17 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Those figures were with a Xoar 15x7.. not a 15x6. Torque wasn't noticeably any more pronounced than with a 14" prop but I was running the motor in the 51" span Hobbyking Slick, so a larger model than a 48" EXP

Power out calculates out to 689W using the Pk that you arrived at from your own testing on this prop (1.08), so that comes to 74% efficiency which is within the 'ok but not great' range.
Sounds like that's going to be a nice setup all the way around, and at a great price. Let me know how it flies in comparison. I missed the 15x7 mention somehow, but if guys are flying the 60 inch on it, then I suspect the 51 is going to be really nice on it. Good luck with it.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:27 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Its a carbon spinner I have and as its hand made plus I had to cut the prop opening a bit I guess it was out of balance.

Basically, using the dubro balancer, I fit the spinner back plate up to the balance shaft, fit the spinner to the back plate and checks its balance.

Found I had to put several drops of thick CA in the outer circumference of the spinner to get it balanced.

When it was out of balance it must have been robbing heaps of amps from the system with that wobble that was almost not noticeable.
I have a 4 inch CF spinner on the Godfrey Extra 300 and the $65 was a bit on the low end of prices so I was keeping my fingers crossed. It turned out to balanced okay, but wobbled because the spinner didn't fit completely perpendicular to the back plate. I used a coarse emery board to take a little off at a time and after some patience and checking, I finally got it right. And since I never miss an opportunity to show off a new plane (and Tom's new favorite)...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:44 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1 View Post
Youre right, I meant its 50mm on the diagnal from the ends, not the holes...it is 43mm center to center on the diagnal outer holes
That's a great find, I've just ordered a couple. Timing really could not have been better because I've cracked two cross mounts in the last two weeks, one of them only lasted a few days.

It's lucky that the countersunk heads on the motor mount screws tend to hold the motor in even when three of the four arms are cracked in half!
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:40 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,242 Posts
Another update on my repaired DM2820-750. I stripped it down and it turns out that the repair is fine. The play that I felt last time out was only due to warn out bearings.. Either they have been going for a while or maybe I damaged then when removing or installing (I dont think i did but who knows).. Anyway, it's easy enough to pop some new bearings in so it looks like my trust DM2820 is good to go again
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:51 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Flying my 2820s for the first time tomorrow. 2820-750 (683kv) with a 14x7 on my Edge, and a 2820-750 (750kv) with a 13x6.5 on my MXS.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:25 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
Flying my 2820s for the first time tomorrow. 2820-750 (683kv) with a 14x7 on my Edge, and a 2820-750 (750kv) with a 13x6.5 on my MXS.
You are going to really like those combos, way better than the sunnyskys
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:26 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
You are going to really like those combos, way better than the sunnyskys
I anticipate that also, but for me, the sunnyskys performed damn well, they just couldn't take my abusive KE spins!
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 02, 2012, 08:18 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,242 Posts
I'm going through motors at a truly alarming rate. The latest to succumb is the Turnigy SK3. It looks like i may have been pushing the Turnigy just too hard.. I entered a KE spin and got a strange noise and loss of power. The motor was still turning but at much reduced power. Here's what I found when I landed:

The bearing/staror mounting tube which is integral with the rear mount plate of the motor has sheared in half at the rear of the stator. The rear bearings are no more than shrapnel. The main part of the motor was only held in by the wires
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:13 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,252 Posts
We went through two Turnigy motors in Tom's PA 260 two years ago ... one of them came with the plane when we bought it from a friend ... before we decided that cheap motors were just too expensive. It is not to say that putting very small props on them and running them up to max RPMs in straight and level flight will have the same affect, but we have always sought the bigger prop option, and the cells, and the motor, to accommodate 3D and extreme aerobatic maneuvers.

In flying IMAC sequences, larger props provide more consistent velocity at all attitudes than smaller props, which is important in scoring, and bigger props provide more low RPM torque, and more airflow over control surfaces that are in full departure, so it has always been the direction we have gravitated.

To spin a 24x10 prop on our 50cc airframes between 85 and 88 inches, we went to a very expensive Hacker, but I feel in the long run that the investment will prove to be worth it, just like the Motrolfly has been with the 48 and 60. I actually have a NIB Turnigy that I bought two years ago but never mounted it on an airplane because I had virtually no faith that it would do what it was intended for, or last through any real extreme aerobatic flying for any amount of time. I don't like bashing products, but seeing this only reminds me how passive you really have to be with HK motors. The Plush, K-Force, and Superbrain ESC series, on the other hand, have been as good as, or better than, anything I have used on 48 to 60 size airframes.

I have enough trouble trying to keep from dumb-thumbing a great airframe into the ground, and I don’t need any help from motors like this. If anyone is interested in paying the shipping, I’d be happy to send this HK motor to you for free just to keep it from finding its way onto one of my airplanes in a weak moment, or to keep me from giving it to a club member and having to hear the dark stories from them later.
RCG Plus Member