HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2010, 06:15 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
411 Posts
I got my 8FG from Tower today!!! I am really impressed with this radio! I can't wait to take it out and try it. It won't be anytime soon though, big snow storm on the way!!!
HogCrewChief is offline Find More Posts by HogCrewChief
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2010, 06:40 PM
Poland / SILESIA
Joined Nov 2005
98 Posts
i`m impressed too after change from DSX9..
very nice radio

P1050850.MOV (0 min 13 sec)

hannson is offline Find More Posts by hannson
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:28 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
I am thrilled with mine! I really like the case design and do not feel anymore that it looks "cheap" as it has really grown on me!

I too can't wait to use it in something.
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Feb 09, 2010, 08:15 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
411 Posts
I agree. When I first saw one at my LHS I thought it looked a little cheap but after playing with it more I don't feel that way at all anymore. I cannot get over how comfortable it is to hold.
HogCrewChief is offline Find More Posts by HogCrewChief
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:42 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings View Post
Thanks guys. Getting my wife to pick up a 2GB card from The Source (Radio Shack) hopefully today. If it fails will try one of ones you are having luck with.

New SD card works - It is a Dane-Elec 2GB at $12.99 on sale. Odd that the Kingston SD card does not work.

Good to go now! Thanks for the help.
When I first got my 8FGH tried several SD cards that I had and found that some work and some donít. They were all a couple of years old. Not really sure what the magic specifications are that determine whether it will work or not.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:38 PM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
379 Posts
I just got my 8FG. I've go Two questions.

1: does anybody else find it difficult to move the Slide Switches (LS & RS) from their end points? Should I start SolidWorks development on replacements. Either of Delrin or Aluminum.
2: how would i setup 'Flaperons' with a plane that has individual servos for each flap. Activated by one o the switches so the ailerons still operate while they are set down by 30%-50% as flaps.

Thank you.
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:16 PM
Wind Happens
So California
Joined Feb 2009
88 Posts

"1: does anybody else find it difficult to move the Slide Switches (LS & RS) from their end points? Should I start SolidWorks development on replacements. Either of Delrin or Aluminum."

YES they're too recessed, my only real gripe so far.
bigslopegrin is offline Find More Posts by bigslopegrin
Old Feb 13, 2010, 06:50 PM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
379 Posts
So Let it Begin

so here we go. after feeling these Sliders (LS & RS) i'm fed up with how short they are.

I'm starting to reverse engineer the round slider control and replace it with one that has a longer lever by about 1/8" (3mm) more... or i could make one that uses the same length adjustment technology that the major joystick controls (J1-J4) utilize.

anyone have a recommendation as to where i should put my progress? open a new thread or something in the CAD CAM, or DIY section? or even here in the Radios section?

thanks
Old Feb 14, 2010, 06:19 AM
NL
Joined Sep 2006
19 Posts
Ls&rs

anyone have a recommendation as to where i should put my progress? open a new thread or something in the CAD CAM, or DIY section? or even here in the Radios section?

thanks[/QUOTE]

Keep it here! got any pics/ drawings? I've been contemplating a simple/ugly solution but will wait for you and steal with pride!
krelis is offline Find More Posts by krelis
Old Feb 14, 2010, 09:26 AM
TKNA
Joined Apr 2007
13 Posts
Does anyone have a problem with the sensor touch? I just got my 8FG from Tower a month ago and the sensor doesn't actionize on the FIRST touch sometimes. It will take a few touches to get it going. Is this the way it works as I expect it to work every time I try on the first go. I know that I'm touching it in the correct area as I've tried different areas to the sensor. When I do get it going, I use the same spot the next time and again, it won't come on sometimes. At other times it seems to be very sensitive.
tkna is offline Find More Posts by tkna
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:07 AM
NL
Joined Sep 2006
19 Posts
sensor touch

There seems to be a bufix for this from the German counterpart of Futaba:

http://www.cms.robbe.com/downloads/

if you already have software version 1-1-675 or higher it's probably not worth trying, otherwize it won't hurt.

I also noticed that it helps if you don't hold the x-mitter with the hand that you operate the sensor with. It needs the little electric force field from your finger, and if you 'connect it to ground' there less potential.
krelis is offline Find More Posts by krelis
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:08 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkna View Post
Does anyone have a problem with the sensor touch? I just got my 8FG from Tower a month ago and the sensor doesn't actionize on the FIRST touch sometimes. It will take a few touches to get it going. Is this the way it works as I expect it to work every time I try on the first go. I know that I'm touching it in the correct area as I've tried different areas to the sensor. When I do get it going, I use the same spot the next time and again, it won't come on sometimes. At other times it seems to be very sensitive.
I just got mine so, I'm just getting the feel for it. Most activation seems to be double tap, saves from accidentally touching something on/off.....
simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:21 AM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
379 Posts
I have also noticed that the sensor touch ring needs to be double-tapped to make your selection into each menu. the return function to make any other selection is only a single-tap.

i think this is all programming. like simages said, to prevent accidental activation.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:40 AM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
379 Posts
here is my progress so far:
I've only disassembled the radio thus far according to the Futaba manual and a step further.

Disclaimer: should you do anything to your radio it's not my fault. you make the choice to do anything to your own radio. I am only documenting my own progress. I am making no recommendations to augment or change your own radio in any way shape or form.

Images,
1: the radio... 'nuf said
2: Removed the cover and battery as per the manual regarding stick tensioning.
3: Removed the Five(5) screws holding the back cover on. also per the manual regarding stick tensioning.
4: image of the open radio. tip-make sure the sliders (LS & RS) are set towards the middle of their travel. the back cover may hang up on them.
5: the culprit slider with it's poorly endowed tab...
6: once the axel screw is removed i placed the pieces in the order they go back for my future reference.
7: the slider that needs to be reverse engineered and milled out of some scrap Delrin i have laying around on my mill.

Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:48 AM
Send Money, Women & Guns!
Virginia Beach
Joined Sep 2002
247 Posts
Yes, the sliders are too small. Especially at either extreme of travel, the radio case makes it hard to catch the slider hiding in the corner.
Simple solution is a 2mm hex head bolt. Drill a small hole in the slider, trim 2mm bolt to a length so it won't protrude out the other side and screw in with a little CA.

Fritz
fritzthecat is offline Find More Posts by fritzthecat