Old May 23, 2016, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by scratch_ed
scratched but still going
Belgium, Flanders, Mechelen
Joined May 2007
181 Posts
Discussion
wltoys 12428, rock-racer to crawler

I got this car before the weekend. Having seen how fast it is on video here, I immediately started pulling it apart.
A quick picture of the start and mocked up goal:
scratch_ed is offline Find More Posts by scratch_ed
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2016, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by Jym73
Car Bashing
France, Brittany, Ploemeur
Joined Dec 2014
2,577 Posts
Hi,

Nice mod. dude, i like it!
Jym73 is online now Find More Posts by Jym73
Old May 25, 2016, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by emu26
Joined Apr 2016
159 Posts
So scratched, what is it like to drive?

BTW that mock up does look the goods, almost like it came from the factory like that. Nice work.
emu26 is online now Find More Posts by emu26
Old May 26, 2016, 12:26 AM
Joined May 2007
181 Posts
Thanks guys.
After a week of many trials and late nights the rear suspension is now completely as I suppose it should work best.. I'll put up some pics later.
The front suspension is no good yet, so no driving it for now.
Diffs have been semi- locked and the motor replaced. The foam in the tires needs to go, or get star-cut still.
Old May 26, 2016, 04:15 AM
Find More Posts by Jym73
Car Bashing
Joined Dec 2014
2,577 Posts
How have you semi-locked diff.?

I hope i will have more time in next day to do a crawling video to show how it be able with 100% stock.
Old May 26, 2016, 04:41 AM
Joined May 2007
181 Posts
I used a special kind of goo. It's sold through toy stores.
you can need as plasticine and then use it like a bouncing ball: so it's kind of elastic. But when you put it down and leave it a little time you see it slowly creeps to a puddle.
With the silicon grease that already was present in the diff it makes a sticky substance like a freshly chewed chewing gum

My crawling vid is for later: car is not ready, no real crawling terrain anywhere nearby, and... I've never tried video recording and posting
Old May 26, 2016, 05:01 AM
Find More Posts by emu26
Joined Apr 2016
159 Posts
Ok so I take it you are trying to set it up as a crawler, not a racer / buggy / truggy?

I'm interested in the other version but as a cheap SCT alternative for a 10 yr old. I'm hoping that it has reasonable speed, has a nice body roll as it corners (ie softish springs) and is reasonably reliable. Too much to ask?
emu26 is online now Find More Posts by emu26
Old May 26, 2016, 05:02 AM
Find More Posts by Jym73
Car Bashing
Joined Dec 2014
2,577 Posts
Quote:
I used a special kind of goo. It's sold through toy stores.
you can need as plasticine and then use it like a bouncing ball: so it's kind of elastic. But when you put it down and leave it a little time you see it slowly creeps to a puddle.
With the silicon grease that already was present in the diff it makes a sticky substance like a freshly chewed chewing gum
Thanks, nice tips.

Quote:
My crawling vid is for later: car is not ready, no real crawling terrain anywhere nearby, and... I've never tried video recording and posting
. I don't know where exactly i will do my crawling test yet also . I thought in front of sea, there is so much rock there that i will surely find a place, i hope .

For video, i have used windows movie player for my firsts videos now i use sony vegas pro. I think i will do close frame as the car don't go fast during crawling.

Youtube is one of the best place to post video. With a google research you can find what file extension and size youtube can use. But if you stay in standard size it will e ok. I mostly use wmv extension file as final video file weight isn't too big and quality is quite good. There is also VTV, a free software who allow to convert file format and machete a lighweight software who allow to cut and merge videos.

The well known Rc spark studio have tons of crawling video to give idea.
Last edited by Jym73; May 26, 2016 at 05:14 AM.
Old May 26, 2016, 06:29 AM
Joined May 2007
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
Ok so I take it you are trying to set it up as a crawler, not a racer / buggy / truggy?

I'm interested in the other version but as a cheap SCT alternative for a 10 yr old. I'm hoping that it has reasonable speed, has a nice body roll as it corners (ie softish springs) and is reasonably reliable. Too much to ask?
Yes.

No.
Looking at the videos in the mini-review tread I think this is a good choice for a small budget
Old May 26, 2016, 06:49 AM
Find More Posts by Jym73
Car Bashing
Joined Dec 2014
2,577 Posts
Quote:
looking at the videos in the mini-review tread i think this is a good choice for a small budget
+1.
Old May 26, 2016, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by rajeevpariyarath
Joined Apr 2016
6 Posts
Fantastic Shell. May i ask a question? i have Feiyue 03 with me, if i buy WL 12428 and change to Feiyue Receiver Box FY-RX01, can i use the same remote ? and will the 2 speed function 50/50 and 70/30) work?
rajeevpariyarath is offline Find More Posts by rajeevpariyarath
Old May 26, 2016, 09:45 AM
Joined May 2007
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevpariyarath View Post
Fantastic Shell. May i ask a question? i have Feiyue 03 with me, if i buy WL 12428 and change to Feiyue Receiver Box FY-RX01, can i use the same remote ? and will the 2 speed function 50/50 and 70/30) work?
It sounds like the only issue you might have is the servo not being compatible. But why not swap that out too?

My turn: If you look at the mini-review video where the car is taken apart; you see how flexible the plastic parts are.
Is this the same on the Feiyue?

(I could really use stiffer front arms: to make the shocks and spring work rather than twisting the arm.)
Old May 26, 2016, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by rajeevpariyarath
Joined Apr 2016
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch_ed View Post
It sounds like the only issue you might have is the servo not being compatible. But why not swap that out too?

My turn: If you look at the mini-review video where the car is taken apart; you see how flexible the plastic parts are.
Is this the same on the Feiyue?

(I could really use stiffer front arms: to make the shocks and spring work rather than twisting the arm.)
Thank you for your comments, i saw the video and honestly don't think fy03 plastic is as good as wl. But only point as a stock which I didn't like is controller, so thought of it as an upgrade first and the subsequent changes.

So is it correct to conclude if I change ESC,I can use Fy controller and if needed servo to be changed ( not mandatory)?

Thanks

Fy 03 pic with minor modification
rajeevpariyarath is offline Find More Posts by rajeevpariyarath
Old May 26, 2016, 11:08 AM
Joined May 2007
181 Posts
Sorry, I don't know the electronics of Feiyue, but if that ESC and receiver works together in one car , there is no reason it wouldn't work also in another car.
(Sorry if I misunderstood the question)

Did you put the battery behind the driver in the tub?
(that's where I plan to put it)
Old May 26, 2016, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by Jym73
Car Bashing
Joined Dec 2014
2,577 Posts
Quote:
So is it correct to conclude if I change ESC,I can use Fy controller and if needed servo to be changed ( not mandatory)?
If you mean buy a WLtoys and use FY03 esc and radio on WLtoys, it can work, but maybe FY03 esc won' have enough Amp for the WLtoys motor, FY03 motor won't fit WLtoys motor mount without make hole for FY03 motor (380 and 540 don't have same hole distance). For the servo, imo you can use FY03 servo on WLtoys esc, or WLtoys servo on FY03 esc, i already done that with others brands with 5 wires servo, you will maybe only need to reverse two wires (or more) on servo plug.