Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by BobSmoke
Joined Feb 2008
20 Posts
Build Log
Guillows Kit#902 bird dog build

Hi,

Started by first Guillows RC conversion today. It's a Cessna Bird dog, which I'd built before (many moons ago) as a FF model. Always wanted to make these kits RC and given the recent developments in micro RC, now seems the time to get back into the hobby!

Will be using a Plantraco Micro 9-s-4Ch Rx with HK 5320 servos.
Power train and ESC is undecided as yet, but at the mo plan on a Super Micro Brushless ESC/ AP-03 motor, with a 1S cell. I've not ordered these bits yet, so feel free to chime in with alternatives!

Built up the Fuse today - here's a few pics...

I'm trying a couple of ideas out with this build - first one is to use nylon tubing (0.5mm ID) and old guitar strings for push rods (in this case, .17mm/G-string...yeah, I said G-String). Set up the tubing to run inside via the fuse formers. Here's the breakout at the back...

So that's where I am now, Wife not withstanding(who from here on in will be referred to a She Who Must Be Obeyed / aka SWMBO) I hope to get the wing done tomorrow...

Cheers
Bob/
BobSmoke is offline Find More Posts by BobSmoke
Last edited by BobSmoke; Sep 17, 2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: drunk spelling...
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by 62pilot
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, Piggott
Joined Aug 2005
2,892 Posts
I built one but only used the plastic from the kit. Same demn. as the wood , but used foam. Placed a UM brick and geared motor. Flew nice. Would even tow another plane the same size.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by trumps
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,321 Posts
Nice start mate, can't offer much help I'm afraid as I've never tried one of these types of builds but will happily cheer you on along the way

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:09 PM
Find More Posts by glewis
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
5,537 Posts
Nice start!
The 900 series kits make really good flying models.
I did two of them. IMO to fly well you need to target an all up weight including the battery at less than 50 grams.
I would get rid of those heavy tubes and use an AR6400 and the 8mm brushed motor.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post15734345
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=guillow+t+28

Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:36 AM
Find More Posts by jah00
Pete
New Zealand, Wellington, Lower Hutt
Joined Jan 2005
50 Posts
Hi Bob

Subscribed to this thread because I built a Birddog a few months ago.

Got to agree with Glenn re: the guide tubes - you should not need full length tubing, my BD used really thin piano wire and seems to hold up.

Mine came in at 48gr but another rcgrouper here who flies his BD said his was almost 75gr although he would prefer it to be lighter. I think I used the same motor/esc combo as you have planned for.

I have not flown my BD yet.

Pete.
jah00 is offline Find More Posts by jah00
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined Feb 2008
20 Posts
Thanks guys.

Quick update on Saturdays progress.

Cut out an access hatch and installed the rudder and elevator servos in the fuse.

Built up the wings.

Will update with Sundays progress tonight once I've uploaded the pics.

Glenn, thanks for the advice. Been mulling over the push rods and decided I'm going to cut them down a bit (ie just leave the sleeves where they run thru the formers). Will also be cutting out a bit more balsa here and there. Airframe (fuse wings and tail surfaces, wire UC +servos is currently coming in at about 20g, but sure I can shave off a few grams.

AR6400 is not on the cards at the moment, as it would mean additional outlay for a new Tx as well as the Rx. Will definetly be something for the future, but will have to stick with the Plantraco gear for now.

Cheers.
Bob
Last edited by BobSmoke; Sep 18, 2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:58 AM
Joined Feb 2008
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jah00 View Post
Hi Bob

Subscribed to this thread because I built a Birddog a few months ago.

Got to agree with Glenn re: the guide tubes - you should not need full length tubing, my BD used really thin piano wire and seems to hold up.

Mine came in at 48gr but another rcgrouper here who flies his BD said his was almost 75gr although he would prefer it to be lighter. I think I used the same motor/esc combo as you have planned for.

I have not flown my BD yet.

Pete.
Hi Pete. Thanks! Your build log for the bird dog was one of the reasons for starting this one!

Cheers!
Bob.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Feb 2008
20 Posts
Update from Sunday.

Quite a bit done, but still a way to go! Wings, Tail done and servos in.

Everything is tacked in place with a couple of small drops of CA.

Tail surfaces have been built together, just a quick nick with a knife will split the CA holding them in place at the ends.

Will be cutting down the teflon tubing as much as possible...

Servos are just 'tacked' in place with a few drops of CA at the moment. This whole area will have a bit of beefing up...

Other DIY jobs for SWMBO will keep me away from it for a few days, so good time to mull over the next steps, further weight reduction and getting the RC finished up...

Cheers
Bob
Last edited by BobSmoke; Sep 18, 2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Feb 2008
20 Posts
Progress!

Wing is going to be removable, so this happened...

Cut out all the unnessecary tubing, this has saved over 1.5g. Good call Glenn & Pete! I've also decided to switch to CF rods for the Rudder and Elevator...

Also took a bit of wood out of the back of the fuse. could probably take some more away, but I'm a bit nervous of thinning it out further without additional stringers on the inside.

Tissued up the tail and hinged the surfaces. Needs a bit of tweaking, but so far so good!

Keeping the guitar strings for the Ailerons, but cut out the Teflon tubes that weren't needed.

Put a bit of gusseting in the corners, but think I still need to beef this area up.

Still waiting on some connectors to arrive so I can get the servos working and will be ordering the Motor and ESC early next week. Next step is control horns and Ailerons.

As a sideline, I'm making a time lapse movie of this entire build - It's looking pretty cool so far. 12,000 photos and counting.

Cheers,
Bob.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:30 AM
Find More Posts by trumps
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,321 Posts
looking great bud.
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Feb 2008
20 Posts
Time for an update.

Things have been a bit slow of late, waiting on bits to arrive in order to get the servos connected to the Rx and tested prior to covering. I'm glad I waited, as I soon discovered (once said connectors and servo tester arrived) I needed to fettle the servo positioning to prevent the elevator from stalling when pushing up. I've also changed my mind about making the wing removable, since the wing struts are structural and it was too much of a PITA to come up with some sort of pinning system to allow then to be removable along with the wing.

I ended up ditching my original home-made ply control horns in favour of some wire ones, partly to ensure the rudder cleared the elevator.

This worked really well, so now happy the controls work as I wanted, I set about covering the fuse and wing.

I wasn't happy with the top of the wing, so cut the tissue out and had a slight change of plan. I skinned the LE with 1/32" sheet, glued some strips along the ribs and sanded it all to blend with the LE and TE before re-covering.

I'm a lot happier with this now!

Weight wise, I'm on target I think - With servos, and the tissue lightly doped, but no motor/Rx/Batt or paint, it's coming in at about 23g. I'm still trying to source a suitable motor. The Brushless outrunner and ESC I bought is now going towards my other build (Guillows kit #505 ME-109) and I think I'll go for a brushed motor and utilise the on board ESC on the Rx instead (altogether simpler and should help keep the weight down too!)

So, guess I going to look at finishing up the front and cockpit area, get the Rx fixed and connected, attach the Ailerons and figure out how best to paint it. Any recommendations on that part would be welcome!

Cheers!
Bob.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:14 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
5,537 Posts
I use a couple of coats of thinned dope. Let it cure for a couple of days then spray with one light coat of Model Master Acryl.
Glenn
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Feb 2008
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
I use a couple of coats of thinned dope. Let it cure for a couple of days then spray with one light coat of Model Master Acryl.
Glenn
Thanks Glenn! I was wondering if Acrylics would work. Did you airbrush it on or use another way to spray? If airbrushed, did you thin it with anything?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:19 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
5,537 Posts
Yep, airbrushed. Thinned with MM acryl thinner. Expensive I know, but for these small models it lasts a long time. Only takes one light coat to get complete coverage on tissue and adds very little weight.
Glenn
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Feb 2008
20 Posts
Much appreciated mate. I've just got an airbrush, so will look to source some MM acryl. Cheers!