HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2001, 12:08 PM
Concord, NC
Joined Jan 2001
1,044 Posts
Stinger......Antenna

I just purchased a Berg 6ch and I was wondering what do you guys do with the long antenna in the stinger.
J Bergsmith is offline Find More Posts by J Bergsmith
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2001, 03:59 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,017 Posts
There are a few ways of doing it. #1 is just to run the antenna out the tail boom. It's dirty but it works. #2 is to replace the stock flimsy antenna with a piece of .015 piano wire. It gets soldered onto the soft wire at 1-1.5" out from the Rx and is EXACTLY the same length as the original in the end. Advantage, full length antenna that stays streamline (doesn't whip around as much like the stock one). #3 option is to use a small loaded antenna, like a Hayes or Deans. People are putting them into the wings by cutting a small hole in the saddle area and sliding them into the hollow cavity. One of the obstacles to this plane is the all carbon tail boom. You should be wary of bundling up all of your antenna on a straw or business card in the boom. This works fine on other models with glass or kevlar fuselages but is not suggested in this application. I've been using a Berg 6 for a while now and I use the piano wire method. I haven't had any interference problems to date.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
Old Sep 10, 2001, 04:04 PM
Concord, NC
Joined Jan 2001
1,044 Posts
Thanks Troy, I think I will give the wire method a try. Do I have to worry about the wire rubbing the fuselage on the inside? Or to you tack glue it to keep it from flopping around?
Old Sep 10, 2001, 04:18 PM
Joined Feb 1999
6,017 Posts
I would be more worried about the antenna wire hitting any metal on the elevator pushrod. It's a possible source for interference but can be remedied by a piece of shrink tubing in the area of metal to metal contact. I've had my metal antenna rub my elevator pushrod before but nothing happened. It is better to be on the safe side, though.
Old Sep 10, 2001, 06:25 PM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,328 Posts
There was a Stinger owned by Jim Ryan at Mid-Am, and it had a new base loaded antenna from azarr.com. I got one for mine and paid $10 and it weighs 2, maybe 3 gm. These are very small and test better than Dean's antennas as Azarr tells it. Jim flew his Stinger quite a way out and didn't have any trouble. He also used a Berg 6.

I'll have this in the collumn, I'm writing it now, should be out in the next week or two.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old Sep 10, 2001, 06:27 PM
Concord, NC
Joined Jan 2001
1,044 Posts
Does Azzar have a web site?
Old Sep 10, 2001, 06:37 PM
p471701
n/a Posts
http://www.azarr.com/ .......gregg
Old Sep 11, 2001, 02:05 AM
Joined Feb 1999
6,017 Posts
Azarr, that's the one I was thinking of. I'm gonna have to get one of those.
Old Sep 11, 2001, 07:08 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,039 Posts
The Stinger has a carbon fuselage, you don't want your antenna down inside it. Jim Ryan is running his in the wing.

Azarr
www.azarr.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Sep 11, 2001, 01:44 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I run mine (555 rx) down the fuse, and out the tail. once it gets outside, I replaced the remained of the wire with guitar string. This exposed metal is not going to touch anything in flight.. First thing you do when you land is coil it up on itself.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W