HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:03 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
Stupid AP stunts

I don't pretend to be the brightest bulb in the circuit. I was out taking some aerial pictures of Lake Pleasant north of Phoenix AZ. As I was thinking about taking a picture of the back side of the dam and I saw a 14'4" high bridge. I thought about it for 20 so minutes and finally figured what the heck the temptation was too great.

The pictures didn't turn out all that great from the rapid lighting changes when flying under the bridge. Because of that I lightened them up enough to see what is happening. I had two crashes and one sucsseful flight before I called it a day. Ironically flying down wind through the bridge worked the best.
Zoomzoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoomzoom
Last edited by Zoomzoom; Apr 20, 2004 at 12:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:07 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
A few more from Lake Pleasant.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:09 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2003
279 Posts
nice pics, where in AZ you live?
jacob is offline Find More Posts by jacob
Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:10 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Nice pics, what camera?
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:18 PM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
231 Posts
you da man zoom zoom you da man
RichieRich is offline Find More Posts by RichieRich
Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:43 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Ha! Very nice.

I was VERY tempted to do the same thing during this shoot:

Now I guess I'll just have to do it.
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Old Apr 20, 2004, 12:31 AM
Plane Crazy
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
1,329 Posts
cool stuff, zoomie!
extra chocolate cake for you!

...and you seem to live in the right place, too - boating and flying model airplanes are the best things I know to do

(without getting someone else undressed, of course)
splash99 is offline Find More Posts by splash99
Last edited by splash99; Apr 20, 2004 at 12:40 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 01:16 AM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,280 Posts
LMAO... You Did IT!.... Funny, I was thinking the same thing at my failed attempt of only trying it downwind - get under and thru it as quick as possible... That's just too cool ZZ... A tip of the hat to you... Did you see/remember the bridge flying sequence in the movie The Blue Max with George Peppard... Beautiful lake pics, too... Looks like you got another "limbo" possibilty in that water intake pipe in Pic #2 of Frame #2 at the top... Great framing of the marina in that one, too... Looks like you had quite a day!...

Kevin
wattnoise is offline Find More Posts by wattnoise
Old Apr 20, 2004, 01:29 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
jacob - I live in Scottsdale, but work over in Glendale. I sometimes fly out of the dirt field on the corner of Northern and 67th Ave. Right below where this picture was taken.

Steve Nolan - I don't think there is anyway you can pull it off standing on top of the bridge, you'll have to be under it. Also, I found with the wind Bernoulliís Principle bites you in the rear end. When airflow, (wind) increases pressure drops. It did some real funky things to my planes flight characteristics, hence my two crashes. With water below you and added into the equation, bad things could happen quickly. Sounds like a good job for your new Virus.............
Old Apr 20, 2004, 01:41 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
wattnoise - thanks for the kind words. Actually I was hungover from a friends wedding the night before. The reception was at the Bank One building on the 37 floor. My wife was laughing at me because I keep looking out the windows thinking of all the future AP possiblities and trying to memorize them. Like flying accross the Bank One Ball Park when the top is open Only a slightly twisted mind with a few free drinks under his or her belt could think of that one.

Anyway going down to Patagonia Friday and returning Sunday afternoon. The offer is still on the table if you want to try something.
Last edited by Zoomzoom; Apr 20, 2004 at 01:43 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 01:59 AM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,280 Posts
I got my SS back in order now so I'm up for it... We could do some Mexican border surveillance work!... I'd love to get some pics of the lake... Flying downtown would be cool, too... Around where they have those open bazaars sometimes... What would it look like from the top of a skyscraper built in downtown Patagonia?!... PM or e-mail me if you think you'd have time and the weather cooperates for anytime Saturday or Sunday morning and where to meet... I'm what - 45 minutes, an hour away... Sounds like it'd be a blast...

~daydreaming~ B-ONE-B

Kevin
wattnoise is offline Find More Posts by wattnoise
Old Apr 20, 2004, 01:52 PM
North East
Joined Nov 2001
1,198 Posts
lake

That looks like Lake Mead, outside of Vegas, probably not too far from there RU? Tricky flying would be to be up higher then your plane then try to land it below you. Your reference frame gets all screwed up.
HIGHFLYER99 is offline Find More Posts by HIGHFLYER99