HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2010, 02:25 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
Judging from the slowish rolls I would say rudder/elevator.
That's the way they come and it really works so I think you are right.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2010, 07:42 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Those appear to be aileron rolls. Rudder rolls would need elevator and would be snap rolls.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 03, 2010, 11:54 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
The P-40 in that video has R\E\A\T. I did the ailerons on that plane 4 years ago and it was my first ARF Cox micro warbird and I did not make the ailerons wide enough and they are too close to the root wing not to mention this plane has dihedral and is a bit under powered with the small outrunner and is a bit overweight with the 500 mah 2s lipo.
My later efforts with the Cox P-47 result in a much better aileron design that is wider and uses dual servos You have to start somewhere and the P-40 was the first to get ailerons and as we see they could have been better. The P-40 also uses a single servo ailrons setup that just does not have the deflection that a dual servo setup has.

In my P-47 build thread, Someone made a comment that the ailerons where "huge" on the P-47. As it turned out, they were just right.

Cox P 47 Flight #2 (1 min 56 sec)
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Jul 03, 2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 11:57 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Those appear to be aileron rolls. Rudder rolls would need elevator and would be snap rolls.
You are correct

These planes do not roll all that well with the built in dihedral as you will find out fellas when you build one with ailerons.

If you do ailerons on there planes it must be done a certain way to overcome the dihedral and other factors I mentioned above.

edit... I flew 2 packs through the P-40 yesterday and this plane is outstanding in the wind. Flys like a much larger plane and is easy to control and land on pavement as configured.
Last edited by modfly; Jul 03, 2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 12:24 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaker View Post
That's the way they come and it really works so I think you are right.
Thats the way the RTF version(s) came. I have a 3 channel RTF Cox P-47 and I flew it yesterday 2 flights and its outstanding in the wind due to its heavy wing loading @ 5.75 oz. Even as a 3 channel it has very good control and is also reliable as I have been flying it almost 4 years (10 flights per year average) and have had no problems with it.

edit..the 3 channel RTF plane is near impossible to roll. Roll rate = 0.

One more thing I would like to mention is, these planes are not all that easy to fly due to the fact that they must be "hand launched". All my Cox planes have landing gear and steering tail wheels that greatly enhance this planes life span. I have broke 3 Cox planes in half trying to hand launch them. I think if these planes had came with factory landing gear, they would have been wildly popular. I think most peoples experience was a bad one due to the plane breaking in half on a bad hand launch. Its not that the planes are fragile, but the RTF planes were heavy @ 5.75 oz and would certainly get damaged or broke in a bad launch attempt so everyone thought they were fragile so they reinforced them with CF and such and made them even more heavy exasperating the weight problem. The problem was the weight and lack of landing gear.

I use plastic wheels on my planes as that allows the plane to skid on the pavement as apposed to "flipping over". With foam or rubber wheels, one mistake during landing and the plane flips on the pavement which results in airframe damage every time. The mall pavement I fly on is kinda rough and plastic wheels work better especially on smaller planes. Plastic wheels don't look good as foam of course but its about functionality over looks in this case.
Last edited by modfly; Jul 03, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 01:45 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,386 Posts
Wildly Popular?

The original thread was started in Nov. 2005, was closed @ 364 pages and a new one started in Feb. 2008, that ran another 132 pages. This one is now 101 pages and counting.

That's pretty darned popular if you ask me.
giuseppi is online now Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Jul 03, 2010, 01:52 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
The original thread was started in Nov. 2005, was closed @ 364 pages and a new one started in Feb. 2008, that ran another 132 pages. This one is now 101 pages and counting.

That's pretty darned popular if you ask me.
Well, if you followed that thread, there was a a couple of individuals that posted to the thread on a regular bases and kept the thread alive. If these planes were really "wildly popular", Cox may still be in business.

I was referring to "wildy popular" in a commercial sense.
Last edited by modfly; Jul 03, 2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 03:40 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,386 Posts
Cox Models Out OF Business?

Estes Industries owned Cox Models. They bought them to keep their model rocket business going. It apparently wasn't enough.

Hobbico - Tower Hobbies- purchased Estes/Cox earlier this year. Cox is not out of business. At least not yet. : http://www.coxmodels.com/

Hobbico may drop Cox Models and keep Estes Industries for the rockets as they already have an extensive line of R/C airplanes and parts. That is yet unknown.

Cox Models was merely the distributor for the Micro Warbirds Manufacturer, who was seeking a well established company to introduce it's models in the USA. This is evidenced by the fact that they are now re-named and re-distributed.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 06:13 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Estes Industries owned Cox Models. They bought them to keep their model rocket business going. It apparently wasn't enough.

Hobbico - Tower Hobbies- purchased Estes/Cox earlier this year. Cox is not out of business. At least not yet. : http://www.coxmodels.com/

Hobbico may drop Cox Models and keep Estes Industries for the rockets as they already have an extensive line of R/C airplanes and parts. That is yet unknown.

Cox Models was merely the distributor for the Micro Warbirds Manufacturer, who was seeking a well established company to introduce it's models in the USA. This is evidenced by the fact that they are now re-named and re-distributed.
Well, that is a website but there is nothing there. Cox sold off their inventory some time ago and you can not buy anything from them so as far as I can see, they are out of business. They sold everything off including the Cox engine division. Edit, Ok I did not know that Tower owns Estes\Cox and that may be true but the old Cox Estes is out of business and may reform under Tower Hobbies. Thats cool.

Cox r\c has been around since I can remember. Like back in the 60's. They were not just a distributor but a real r\c company. Microdesigner who use to post here for Cox is the one who said the company was going out of business and since he was the head of product design, that was from the horses mouth.
Last edited by modfly; Jul 03, 2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 07:00 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Ok, I finally decided to build a ARF Cox Corsair using a AR6400L receiver. I did it in its own thread so it will be easy to find. I will be stepping through the whole process of building an ARF kit from the ground up using the latest light weight radio gear here.... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269743
Old Jul 03, 2010, 09:39 PM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
I will be following that thread modfly... can't wait to see what you can make happen with the corsair.

I'm waiting for my 10g motor to get here for mine.
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8
Old Jul 03, 2010, 09:49 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,386 Posts
Landing Gear Added

Decided I'd rather not break propellers and who knows what else belly landing in a parking lot so, landing gear were added.

Weight without a battery is 107.3g - 3.78489612oz. Weight was increased around 5g.

Next I'll head for Home Depot with the wing and have them color match the paint with their Behr exterior latex. I'll also grab some of the Floetrol and some automotive windshield washer fluid.

Now. Who has any experience with this method of spray painting? How much of each do you use?
Last edited by giuseppi; Jul 04, 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 10:20 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
wow, thats a great looking P-40 G. Landing gear is good but watch out for those foam wheels. Plastic wheels work better. I know plastic is ugly but then so is pavement damage from nose overs.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 10:41 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,386 Posts
wow, thats a great looking P-40 G. Landing gear is good but watch out for those foam wheels. Plastic wheels work better. I know plastic is ugly but then so is pavement damage from nose overs.

Thanks, MF. Thanks for the advice, also. I'll keep that in mind. I've got a cheap outdoor carpet to use as a landing strip. It's kind'a like landing on a carrier deck.
Old Jul 04, 2010, 12:27 AM
Nashville TN.
Joined May 2010
113 Posts
I just maiden-ed my Gravity F4U Corsair this evening and man was I pleased. It launched perfectly. I still used the stock 130 can motor and a GWS 10a esc with a 450mah Gravity battery.For the rx I used a Hitec 6 channel full range micro rx. I did change props though. I had some props from the Estes ROG Blue Angels plane that sucked so I put one on and it flew great. Plenty of power and speed. For a R/E plane it turned and banked very well. After flying for around 8 minutes I brought it in and due to my crappy piloting I did a cart wheel it after a perfect flight and creased the wing slightly. I bought an extra wing when I ordered it too.I did leave out the charging plate and cut a hatch with a earth magnet to hold it down so I can remove the battery and change out. Its just a sweet fun little plane and cheap to build for $16-$18.

I also got the P-40 so when I trash this one I'll gut it and use the remains in it. I would like to do the brushless thing with it though, that'd be cool.

What kind of 10g brushless is everyone using? And is there a link to order.?
oldtoys1961 is offline Find More Posts by oldtoys1961