SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:07 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Discussion
whats a cheap ailerion trainer?

ok heres the deal: ive got the slow stick mastered on full throws, the GWS tigermoth the same; now what for an ailerion trainer ? ive got a 900mah lipo, 4 servos (2 the same, 2 different), a hitec laser 4 system, a 2410-08 outrunner, a 18A brushless esc, and two props (6x4 and 9x7SF). the plane needs to be cheap (<~$30) and tough (epp?). in thinking about a speedwings minispeedwing( http://www.speedwing.net/mini-speedwing-p-295.html ) , an ElectriFly Mini Delta EP ( http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKZC3&P=0 ), a GWS E-starter, or a moded wally-world chuck glider (smaller wings, motor, ailerions, elevator)
after this i want to go to a GWS P-38.

any sugestions?
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:44 PM
Joined Sep 2004
764 Posts
If you can fly the Pico Tigermoth, maybe you should look at the Tigermoth 400? It's a beautiful flyer if a little fragile.
ssgtakeo is offline Find More Posts by ssgtakeo
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:27 PM
Lexington SC
Joined Jan 2008
464 Posts
Go buy a couple of these and a big roll of extreme packing tape.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/yak55.htm

12 bucks is hard to beat. It isn't a trainer but with low throws, it's pretty easy to fly.
NightTrain0128 is offline Find More Posts by NightTrain0128
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:48 PM
Joined Jul 2006
4 Posts
Try putting ailerons on your slow stick. Take the dihedral out of your wing by removing the center two sections and hot glue the servos on the wing.
Good Luck
JILLORY is offline Find More Posts by JILLORY
Old Jul 01, 2008, 12:05 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Your power system would go on a EPP WildWing and at $19.99, it will take alot of beating. Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jul 01, 2008, 05:10 AM
what it do everybody?
a swamp naturally
Joined Mar 2008
665 Posts
Any 3d bird is out of the question for someone who has never flown ailerons. I thought the 400 tm might be easy, but let's just say two wings can be messy in a crash. I eventually got to the estarter after wrecking a 400 tm and that phase 3 3d plane. The estarter is the way to go b/c it can slow fly with the best and take a lickin and come back for more. Also the frame can take some power if your inclined. The nps kit is an excellent value.

High wing aileron trainer to a twin like the p-38 is a big leap. But GWS is not going to kill your pocket book, so do as you wish.
zaskarkid is offline Find More Posts by zaskarkid
Old Jul 01, 2008, 05:24 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Lots of aileron trainer options and plenty of advice on these threads. I'm doing SC aileron mod on the table and also have an EFlight MUS in the box when I get brave. PZ Trojan is also a popular one with a lot of guys.

But thanks for the tip, NightTrain, got it bookmarked and at that price maybe gonna try one . Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Jul 01, 2008, 05:47 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,239 Posts
I second the Estarter, great plane! I use mine now to train other folks and I have floats and skis for mine to spice things up, just love it! I also use it as an AP system as well just check out my blog for info.
Dak
Dakrat is online now Find More Posts by Dakrat
Old Jul 01, 2008, 07:34 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
wow,thanks every one. now ive got a bit better of an idea on what to get. ive narrowed it down to a TM400, a wild wing, or an Estarter. i forgot to mention the lipo i have is a 2 cell (7.4v). what are the wings on the tigermoth made of is is white foam (styro) or is it more like what the pico moths wings are?

as to the slow stick: is there a thread that shows this mod?
Old Jul 01, 2008, 09:36 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,239 Posts
More like the Pico's I think just a little thicker. For the slowstick just do a search on aileron mod, check out a thead or two and they will walk you right through it...
Dakrat is online now Find More Posts by Dakrat
Old Jul 01, 2008, 09:47 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
ok, ill do that. for a new plane im leaning twards the wild wing because its epp and mostly bounces. one question though: will my batter and motor be enough to fly it?
Old Jul 01, 2008, 09:49 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
throw up a link to the estarter. don't be selfish. :-)
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jul 01, 2008, 10:06 AM
RC Lawndart Master
Missoula, MT
Joined Nov 2007
82 Posts
I have a GWS Funny Park that I've had for a while. I used it as a low wing, ailerion trainer. It also needs to land under power. I train my buddies with it.

Good luck.
Kolchac is offline Find More Posts by Kolchac
Old Jul 01, 2008, 10:19 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
the only reason i have links to those other planes is i was not shure if everyone knows what they are. but here is a link to the NPS estarter ( http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSWY6&P=7 ) are we all good now?
Old Jul 01, 2008, 12:42 PM
Joined Jun 2008
43 Posts
sorry... know I'm a little late... but a cheap ailereon trainer is a plane with ailereons that is easy to fly and that doesn't cost very much
johnny shell is offline Find More Posts by johnny shell