HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2014, 01:26 PM
Joined Dec 2007
31 Posts
Discussion
Another Zipkits Tugster

A week into a Zipkits Tugster build. Really nice kit at good price. I won't go into much build detail as it's such a simple build. Mine is pretty much stock with the exception of the visor on pilothouse. I did add some additional 1/4" bracing around the deck and bulkhead perimeters to strengthen and simplify gluing. Might as well build in a bit more strenght if having to add ballest later anyway. I used a Dremel tool to hollow out the exhaust stack for more scale look (light touch here). A bit of artistic license here with the walnut planked floor for the pilothouse. The boat is now ready for a coat of fiberglass today, stay tuned!
bombertech is offline Find More Posts by bombertech
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2014, 01:07 PM
Joined Dec 2007
31 Posts
Here are a few photos prior to glassing.

Pictures of pilothouse with visor, l think it adds to the character of the boat. What do you think?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 05:27 PM
...man wants his boat
United States, MA, Woods Hole
Joined Aug 2012
659 Posts
Visor is a nice touch. Don't forget to weather the boat.
chum444 is offline Find More Posts by chum444
Old Nov 11, 2014, 05:28 PM
Builder
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2014
5 Posts
The visor certainly elevates the look to something much less toy-like. I like it. When I hop onto the springer ferry I'll have to remember this detail.
Yarjammer is offline Find More Posts by Yarjammer
Old Nov 11, 2014, 05:42 PM
Joined Dec 2007
31 Posts
Fiberglass application...

Here are the last two pieces of glass curing. I am a fan of West Systems epoxy. More to follow.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 08:28 AM
Truly Addicted to RC Boats
USA, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2005
137 Posts
The visor really add some looks to it.
cartix is online now Find More Posts by cartix
Old Nov 15, 2014, 06:37 AM
no such thing as to many boats
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2010
2,024 Posts
Love the visor makes a big difference .
louie R/C NUT is offline Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
Old Nov 15, 2014, 07:35 AM
United States, IN, Greensburg
Joined Jun 2014
453 Posts
It looks top notch keep it up! I love the visor and the wheelhouse floor.
micromodder is online now Find More Posts by micromodder
Old Dec 02, 2014, 02:44 PM
Joined Dec 2007
31 Posts
Steamboat Willie supervises brass skeg installation....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombertech View Post
A week into a Zipkits Tugster build. Really nice kit at good price. I won't go into much build detail as it's such a simple build. Mine is pretty much stock with the exception of the visor on pilothouse. I did add some additional 1/4" bracing around the deck and bulkhead perimeters to strengthen and simplify gluing. Might as well build in a bit more strenght if having to add ballest later anyway. I used a Dremel tool to hollow out the exhaust stack for more scale look . A bit of artistic license here with the walnut planked floor for the pilothouse. The boat is now ready for a coat of fiberglass today, stay tuned!
Steamboat Willie arrived the other day from E-bay, perfect size to the man the pilothouse. He was concerned about the flimsy wood extension for the skeg. Now making a proper brass replacement for same. Mickey Mouse management to be sure.
Old Dec 02, 2014, 04:03 PM
Joined Dec 2007
31 Posts
Brass keel shoe...

Bluto seems happy with new brass keel shoe.
Old Dec 03, 2014, 01:15 AM
United States, IN, Greensburg
Joined Jun 2014
453 Posts
Looking good, nice idea with the brass keel shoe
micromodder is online now Find More Posts by micromodder
Old Dec 05, 2014, 10:13 AM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,408 Posts
I like the bollards, adds a lot to the boat. Were these home made? If so, how did you drill the cross holes dead center to the diameter and straight?
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Dec 05, 2014, 03:32 PM
Joined Dec 2007
31 Posts
Bollards...

Yes, the bollards are home made. The trick is to drill them using spade bits and making a simple drill jig from a wood block. I got fancy and glued a threaded block on one end with a nylon screw to get consistant lenghts. Just turn screw to get the desired hole distance from end.
Old Dec 05, 2014, 03:55 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2007
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombertech View Post
Yes, the bollards are home made. The trick is to drill them using spade bits and making a simple drill jig from a wood block. I got fancy and glued a threaded block on one end with a nylon screw to get consistant lenghts. Just turn screw to get the desired hole distance from end.
Very clever, and for the mechanically challenged among us: an elegantly simple solution.
[well, then there's the nylon screw, but that raises the bar for the rest of us]

Thanks for sharing

[as he types with four fingers and a thumb, total on both hands] [jk almost]
tugs is offline Find More Posts by tugs
Old Dec 05, 2014, 09:18 PM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,408 Posts
Bollards...

Great idea on that jig for making the bollards. I'll have to make one for myself. So, 7/16 dia vertical pieces and 1/4 dia cross pieces? I suppose rather than a separate block for the limit screw, one could just tap and screw directly into the jig itself, though that would make determining the desired depth a little bit more difficult.
Is that part shown in the last photo for reinforcing the bollard mounting or is it a drilling jig for getting the hole spacing correct?
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish