HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2013, 05:53 AM
Australia, QLD, Morningside
Joined Apr 2011
143 Posts
Discussion
moving to Brisbane from Europe

Hi all.
My wife got a job offer for 6 months so we are moving in March to Brisbane from Czech republic.
Since it will be only 6 months im taking with me my radio and some electronics and i will build my own planes after arrival (https://picasaweb.google.com/martinkindl83).
Im looking for some informations about renting a apartment/car (some good classified site?) but mostly for some RC plane flying. I dont know if there are some regulations on RC planes?
I do fly with planes under 1.5Kg and under 130km/h. I never tried Slope Soaring (no weather for it in Czech).

Thank you very much for any informations, that can be useful for me.

Martin
makind is offline Find More Posts by makind
Last edited by makind; Nov 18, 2013 at 06:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2013, 06:04 AM
Suspended Account
Australia, NSW, Mascot
Joined Jan 2008
340 Posts
Hi here is a site that is great for RC stuff
http://www.rctrader.com/index.php
wifpwcf is offline Find More Posts by wifpwcf
Old Nov 18, 2013, 03:03 PM
Toowoomba
Joined May 2005
35 Posts
Martin,

Have a look through the local news paper, which maybe of some help:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/

Kind regards,

Mike.
snab is offline Find More Posts by snab
Old Nov 18, 2013, 03:11 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,478 Posts
Bring a crate of Alfa's with you

Brisbane in March will still be fairly hot and humid (I lived there for 16 years), especially after a Czech winter - make sure you find a house (and car) with air-conditioning. Drink plenty of water. Not soft drink, not coffee, not tea.

Cars seems easy/cheap to buy these days, but very hard to sell second hand. If you buy one you might have to take a large loss to sell it quickly. My Father has been trying to sell a previous model Honda Accord with low km in excellent condition at market price - not a single phone call in close to 6 months. Renting cars is not cheap either.
CaseySP is offline Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts again
Old Nov 18, 2013, 04:26 PM
Joined Jan 2004
253 Posts
Hi Martin

All good information above.

The FAI umbrella for modelling in Australia is the Model aeronautical Association of Australia

link http://www.maaa.asn.au

Go to clubs tab where is listed all the clubs in Queensland.

Australia is a big flat country. Our tallest mountain, just a hill by European measure, is about 2000M.

The comment above is about drinking water is very good advice. You do not always know you are dehydrating.

Personally I can drink 4l of water at a summer contest, much less and I will suffer dehydration.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

John Quigley
Sydney
Aussie John is offline Find More Posts by Aussie John
Old Nov 18, 2013, 04:56 PM
Joined Apr 2011
143 Posts
Thank you very much for your advice. I will check the FAI for regulations. I do have some experience with hot summers - i did spend some summers in Massachusetts and Utah.
Im not so sure now about buying car, for 6 months is probably not worth it. We will be looking for some apartment for now. I did found some RC club down to Brisbane, but dont know if its reachable by public transport. Will see when i will be there.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 07:09 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,144 Posts
Martin, if you are into park flyers, there is a club that uses a field in a suburb called Ferny Grove, on the western side of town and near to a train line. There is a large club at Tingalpa (eastern side of town) which is more into power models.

If you want to get into slope soaring, there is an active community of guys who would be more than helpful, but only one real soaring club (MRSSA) who are more into thermal soaring. Unfortunately it would be difficult to do any soaring (slope or thermal) if you need to use public transport, but I'm sue you'd find guys willing to give you a lift.
Geoff_S is online now Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:59 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makind View Post
Thank you very much for your advice. I will check the FAI for regulations. I do have some experience with hot summers - i did spend some summers in Massachusetts and Utah.
Im not so sure now about buying car, for 6 months is probably not worth it. We will be looking for some apartment for now. I did found some RC club down to Brisbane, but dont know if its reachable by public transport. Will see when i will be there.
You'll need to purchase a vehicle. Public transportation in Australia by European standards is terrible. Plus everything here is very spread out making Public transportation even more of a pain.

Your best webpages for housing and cars are.
www.realestate.com.au
www.carsales.com.au
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:02 AM
CunningStuntsFPV
Australia, WA, Dirk Hartog Island
Joined Dec 2012
647 Posts
If you let us know what suburb, part of city your wife will be working in, we can get you some specific advice...ie..rental costs, transport, where the local flyers go etc.....a good, cheap car with rego will set you back $4-5k, and really is an investment in your best interests....Australia is huge, and a car will let you see so much more...All around the South East Queensland area is beautiful, but very difficult to get around via our woefully inadequate public transport system. There are heaps of flyers in Brisbane. Good Luck.
Edit...^^^^^^Beat me to it with rant about public transport
figgoat is offline Find More Posts by figgoat
Old Nov 19, 2013, 01:20 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,902 Posts
From Europe to Brisbane? You poor thing don't do it!!!!! Lol
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Nov 20, 2013, 05:47 PM
Australia, NSW, Maroubra
Joined Mar 2008
48 Posts
Logan a great place to live......
Cableguy0_9 is offline Find More Posts by Cableguy0_9
Old Nov 21, 2013, 07:40 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableguy0_9 View Post
Logan a great place to live......
It used to be. Now a very high crime rate
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Nov 21, 2013, 07:54 AM
Joined Apr 2011
143 Posts
we will be looking for something close to The University of Queensland, St Lucia QLD 4067
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:13 AM
Caution: Noob in training
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
878 Posts
You could try Taringa, Toowong, Auchenflower, Indooroopilly, then also south of the river at Indro on the trainline is the likes of Chelmer, Graceville, Sherwood, Corinda, Oxley; some of these may possibly prove cheaper to rent than the "local" suburbs, and the trainline makes them relatively handy, train then bus to UQ. Main shopping in that area is Indro.

Then again you could try across the river from UQ at the likes of Dutton Park, Fairfield etc. There's a connecting bus/bike/walk bridge.
RoGuE_StreaK is offline Find More Posts by RoGuE_StreaK
Old Dec 11, 2013, 03:27 AM
Joined Apr 2011
143 Posts
So we will be in Brisbane 22 March till 18 September.
I was looking for some units, but im not sure which suburbs are safe or not. My wife will work at University in ST Lucia. We will probably not buy a car. We will be very short on money. For living we are looking for some unit, one king size bed is OK, no flat share, fully furnished. I did found some rentals in Fairfield around 300-350. Is it good place?

Probably 350 is max we can afford.