HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:20 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
Question
X10+ Expander with Nano - customer comments please...

I am changing the Nano firmware so that you can use channel 6 as the Xtreme mode output for the X10 expander, allowing the other 5 channels to be used as normal servo outputs. Now, the question I have for customers is this: how should the channel mapping be done on the Nano when you put it into this mode? Should the channels be mapped as 11-15, 1-6, or what? You MUST have our XDP to change the channel mapping and failsafes for the Nano, but the X10 can have every feature changed through simple push button programming.

So, let's discuss the best setup so I can finalize the code and start testing it.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Sep 09, 2013 at 10:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2013, 06:19 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I am changing the Nano firmware so that you can use channel 6 as the Xtreme mode output for the X10 expander, allowing the other 5 channels to be used as normal servo outputs. Now, the question I have for customers is this: how should the channel mapping be done on the Nano when you put it into this mode? Should the channels be mapped as 11-15, 1-6, or what? You MUST have our XDP to change the channel mapping and failsafes for the Nano, but the X10 can have every feature changed through simple push button programming.

So, let's discuss the best setup so I can finalize the code and start testing it.
as I mentioned once before, I see great use of at least a couple of channels directly from the nano when the nano is installed in the tail.
most obvious channels would be rudder and elevator.
without Xtreme mode output 1 - 6
with Xtreme mode output 11, 12 ,3, 4, 13 (or 15 for people that are easily confused)
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old Aug 10, 2013, 09:43 PM
Bunbury, WA, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post

If we have an XDP does it really matter?
Is the mapping going to be fixed depending upon requests?
I am one of the easily confused, so please forgive.
GEORGE III is offline Find More Posts by GEORGE III
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:28 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
I think the core use case for this mode is the Nano being used for an RFU without anything else plugged into it, with all servos plugging into the X10... and the X10 being mapped for channels 1-10.

having the spare pins on the Nano being channel 11-15 is a nice by-the-by corner case feature that is handy to know it's there... to plug in low draw auxiliary functions. Due to the power supply being that one extension, methinks an active warning on not drawing too much out of those pins, actually sets up a failure point on something that was nicely separating the failure point.

for high drain servos/functions, you wont want to use the Nano pins anyway as the power to the Nano and its servo bus is the single extension from the X10... for driving more than 10 high-drain systems you will want more than one X10.

11-15 gets my vote for sure.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:35 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE III View Post
If we have an XDP does it really matter?
Is the mapping going to be fixed depending upon requests?
I am one of the easily confused, so please forgive.
nice defaults makes the core uses super easier to set up...

...for example, a friend was using two Nano's for 12 channels total... and at the field got the order of the second Nano mixed up, and we didn't have an XDP or laptop with us. but, seeing as they were the new Nanos, and the default channel assignment for a slave receiver was channels 7-12, simply rebinding the Rx solved our problem. Nice defaults do make products easier to use.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:00 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,040 Posts
11-15 for me.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:12 PM
OldRCFlier
USA, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Jan 2006
31 Posts
Nano Maps

I bought a Nano back last year and it did not respond to a Link. So at first I thought I had a dud, but luckily I do have an XDP for I checked the Map and it was 7-13. So I suggest that a person needs to specify the use, and have it mapped as needed. Those who do not use an XDP will not get hung out to dry.
I can not wait to try the new expander and maybe the new Tx before to long.
Jeffeh
jeffeh is offline Find More Posts by jeffeh
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:49 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffeh View Post
I bought a Nano back last year and it did not respond to a Link. So at first I thought I had a dud, but luckily I do have an XDP for I checked the Map and it was 7-13. So I suggest that a person needs to specify the use, and have it mapped as needed. Those who do not use an XDP will not get hung out to dry.
I can not wait to try the new expander and maybe the new Tx before to long.
Jeffeh
sounds like it was accidentally put into slave mode when binding...
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:28 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,437 Posts
As long as you can still use channel 1 - 6 as normal channals when not using the expander, the rest does not matter.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:39 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
If your Nano was bound as a slave, you can simply re-bind it as a normal receiver (master) and that will automatically set the channel mapping to be 1-6.

I agree that since power will probably be limited to the Nano, that making the extra channels 11-15 makes the most sense. You can power the Nano with a battery (the same power source as the X10 would be best) to give it more current capability. Since elevators, ailerons, and rudders are typically require the most current, and those are typically channels 1-4, it would be easier to set those up with the X10.

Some asked how a Nano is setup to use the expander, so let me explain how that is done. Right now with the new Nano II after the normal binding procedure the LED turns off. If you place the jumper back on the "B" port and remove it, the LED will turn solid red. At this point, the output mode for the Nano II will be PPM. If you put the jumper back on and then remove it again, then the LED will start flashing. At this point, the output mode for the Nano II will be Xtreme (for X10). If you put the jumper back on and then remove it again, then the LED will turn off and the output mode will go back to normal servo output - and the process repeats over and over. Disconnecting the power locks the setting permanently. The change that I will make is that output 6 will be output for the Xtreme mode and outputs 1-5 will become channels 11-15.

Just re-binding the receiver without using the jumper on the "B" port after the binding has completed will reset it back to normal channels 1-6 operation.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Aug 11, 2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 03:43 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,437 Posts
That sounds easy. Channel 11 - 15 on the Nano will be good.

Will it be possible to use 2 X10 in the same plane? Not that I have the need to but just as a matter of interest.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:19 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,350 Posts
Any word about the RFU? I am out of sailplane receivers and had to use Nanos in my last two sailplanes. The Nano antennas make for a messy installation that makes service difficult. Just last night, I had to remove the Nano to connect a TattleTale and had to remove a servo to get the Nano out. I hope the RFU will allow a neater installation without having to make a new fuselage mold.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Aug 11, 2013, 01:31 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebell View Post
That sounds easy. Channel 11 - 15 on the Nano will be good.

Will it be possible to use 2 X10 in the same plane? Not that I have the need to but just as a matter of interest.
You can use as many X10 units as you like, you just use Y-cables to attach the signal to them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2013, 01:32 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
Any word about the RFU? I am out of sailplane receivers and had to use Nanos in my last two sailplanes. The Nano antennas make for a messy installation that makes service difficult. Just last night, I had to remove the Nano to connect a TattleTale and had to remove a servo to get the Nano out. I hope the RFU will allow a neater installation without having to make a new fuselage mold.
The RFU is just a single output receiver, like the Nano is in X10 mode. You still need an expander to drive servos.

If you want sailplane receivers, we can provide some. We have about 20 unassembled units left and we just received labels, so we can build all of these.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:53 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,993 Posts
Please clarify something for me, Jim: Mapping the Nano channels 1-5 as 11-15 when the Nano is in Xtreme Output mode would just be a default that we can change if we have an XDP, correct?

Also, what are the chances of having the same options in CPPM mode?

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR