SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:11 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,279 Posts
The 4000 kv on 3s only pulls 300 watts so I would say the issue is the soldering/bullet connector joints. Direct soldering of motor leads to the ESC is what is recommended.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2013, 06:15 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,279 Posts
The post man brought me a present today. My HK GPS logger. So I grabbed a lipo and headed to the park down the street to test it out. As I have posted here before this Neptune wing on the Wicked 4000KV and 64mm fans at ~600 watts typically dopplers in the low 90s. So flew today and the winds were very light (less than 5 mph) so I ran the doppler and GPS unit on the same flight. The fastest doppler reading were 98.1 and 98.8 mph Here is a photo of what my my HK logger reported on that exact same flight

135.5 mph (218 kph) that is more than 30% error. That was with 7-8 satellite strength on the unit. So I guess I can now claim 135.5 mph on only 600 watts with a 48" span flying wing Thought I would share these results as they are obviously incorrect but the reason I bought this unit was to show how inaccurate these device can be as I have seen some rather interesting speeds posted with this device.

After I flew, I took the HK unit with me and my wife when we went out to lunch and the grocery shopping today. I had the HK unit and my Garmin GPS sitting right next to each other for comparison. They both were spot on even as the speed changes occurred from traffic lights. The HK unit will give live readings on the display once you start the logger function. So I was able to watch how this unit reacted when we started and stopped and compared to my Garmin in real time as it happened. The HK unit and Garmin were both identical to each other (within one mph at least ) . So the only conclusion I can reach is that as I suspected these HK/Voltron speed units when flown in a fast plane have difficulties in either the processing speed, position updating, or altitude/ speed detection, or something else that can result in a very erroneous max flight speed. I plan on doing some other tests to see if for example flying level, race track laps yield speeds that are more realistic etc to see what it is that makes these units report poor results.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2013, 09:46 AM
United States, IL, Lemont
Joined Sep 2010
139 Posts
Hi Don, just came across your modification of the Neptune, very nice. I have the Neptune and very impressed with it's flying and handling. I intent to buy another and do your modifications. I just bought the two HET 6404 fan units from you the recently and will get the wicked motor set up from you also.

Thanks
Ron
RTLIKES RC is offline Find More Posts by RTLIKES RC