HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2014, 11:31 PM
mondo1948
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2007
1,017 Posts
Wow,
I guess I nosed over hard a few too many times because yesterday, as I was doing a last minute ground check on all my control surfaces, I noticed the elevator was acting strangely. On closer inspection, I realized that 3/4 of the elevator had broken loose from the horizontal stabilizer. The foam "hinges" had just broken loose and luckily I didn't take off with that problem. Needless to say, I've rehinged the whole elevator with CA hinges, correcting the problem for my next outing with the plane.

Check your elevators guys....just to be sure they're still attached.

Mondo
mondo1948 is offline Find More Posts by mondo1948
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2014, 08:39 AM
United States, OH, Rosemount
Joined Jul 2011
1,021 Posts
A good reminder to everyone Mondo! Hinges are still looking solid here.

However another very well hidden point to check as well.....way back towards the beginning of this thread there was a lot of comments on the horizontal stab control horn lifting up off the elevator surface and or even noticeable cracking, also similar symptoms to the PZ F4F.
I checked mine and sure enough it was lifting 1/8" when full up elevator was acknowledged. Some epoxy flowing under the horn tab made it solid as a rock even though I still check it every time I'm doing pre flight inspections.

This will end your day in short order if the horn breaks at the base while in flight!
JM66 is online now Find More Posts by JM66
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: German Luftwaffe pilots
Old Dec 08, 2014, 08:04 PM
That's the way to do it !
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2013
4 Posts
Dumb Luck

Just another great thing about this plane : I replaced my prop , and mistakenly installed it backwards ! At the field the plane took off , but with a strange hissing noise coming from the backwards prop. Lucky for me this plane is so AWESOME that It gained altitude ( slowly ), and I was able to bring it around and ( luckily ) land.
This plane has some flaws, but dam its fun to fly and surprises the heck out me, every time it gets out of a tight spot.
controlledCRASH is offline Find More Posts by controlledCRASH
Old Dec 08, 2014, 09:31 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,937 Posts
I hadn't flown mine in a while but after reading the post about the horizontal, I checked it and sure enough the base of the horn was cracked about half way.

controlled CRASH - Excellent piloting and recovery.
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
Joined Nov 2013
84 Posts
This is a long thread.... but.... has anyone tried putting a larger motor in the Hurricane? Such as a Power 32? Is it worth the swap?
Spitfire Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire Flyer
Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
I hadn't flown mine in a while but after reading the post about the horizontal, I checked it and sure enough the base of the horn was cracked about half way.

controlled CRASH - Excellent piloting and recovery.
Do you know this guy? Have you guys formed a club up there? It's good news news if true. Are you a member?

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,473 Posts
Hiya Gents- havn't posted here for awhile. Flew my hurri alittle over a week ago for the first time in over a month . Not much to say, except she is still a great stable flyer-still my favorite!
kevin whitesell is online now Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 01:46 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley38 View Post
Do you know this guy? Have you guys formed a club up there? It's good news news if true. Are you a member?

CR
Not clear on what you mean by knowing this guy.............

We have a relativley new, fledgling club here now and I am a member. Let me know if we can get together sometime. PM me and I pass my phone no. on you.

Dick
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Today at 01:54 AM.
Old Today, 08:39 AM
This area for rent
Vestal, NY
Joined May 2006
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire Flyer View Post
This is a long thread.... but.... has anyone tried putting a larger motor in the Hurricane? Such as a Power 32? Is it worth the swap?
i bought 4s batteries and it did not get faster! its a hurri! big fat wing! it flew with more authority and vertical was better. but if you are looking for more speed engining up will disapoint you.

Joe
paladin-34 is online now Find More Posts by paladin-34