SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2015, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by Bidwin
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Sep 2007
70 Posts
Question
Mount PL6 in a charging case?

I want to make a charging case to hold my PL6, power supply, other charger(s), batteries, boards, cords, etc. I wanted to use velcro for attachments to have some configuration flexibility as needs and equipment change, but the I don't believe the rubber pads or metal feet on the bottom of the PL6 have enough surface area to hold the charger. I could use tie wraps or other bonding straps but that's not my preference. I'd like to know how others may have done what I want to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Charlie
Bidwin is offline Find More Posts by Bidwin
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2015, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by Gregor99
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,370 Posts
I find the 3m dual lock to work quite well. For the PL6, you'd have to fabric some small stands to get the 3m dual lock close to the bottom of the case. Just be sure to allow sufficient airflow to the bottom of the charger. That's where the heat sync is.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Apr 25, 2015, 08:14 AM
Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,280 Posts
Check out the thread on "charger cases" on the HeliFreak forum; some great ideas.

I built a case to mount my DPL8 along with a Meanwell PS. I purchased a few components from ProgressiveRC as they had a 3D printed mounting block that attached to the bottom of the charger duo with sticky tape. That combo was then mounted to the PS with ordinary Velcro. I have used this technique for two flying seasons and it works well.

I had tried the heavy duty (dual lock) stuff, but I found it was hard to reposition the chargers in order to align cutouts in deck to access buttons, etc.

So far, zero problems, but I did install a good sized fan along with vents to ensure that both the PS and the FMA duo were receiving adequate ventilation. The PS is securely mounted by screws to the bottom of the case.

There are plenty of photos of various user projects on the HeliFreak forum.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidwin View Post
I want to make a charging case to hold my PL6, power supply, other charger(s), batteries, boards, cords, etc. I wanted to use velcro for attachments to have some configuration flexibility as needs and equipment change, but the I don't believe the rubber pads or metal feet on the bottom of the PL6 have enough surface area to hold the charger. I could use tie wraps or other bonding straps but that's not my preference. I'd like to know how others may have done what I want to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Charlie
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by Bidwin
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Sep 2007
70 Posts
Thanks for the reponse, Mike. I will check out the HeliFreak forum. I'm really not looking to make a "fancy" case, like some of those I've seen which are very nice. My case will be completely open, bottom and lid, so cooling shouldn't be a problem, and I can reconfigure any way I want to without making any structural changes. My main concern was about securing relatively heavy items, like the power supply, without their coming loose when being transported. I do have regular velcro and some industrial strength. Based on your experience I think I'll try the regular stuff first, and if that doesn't work go to the heavy duty stuff.
Thanks again,
Charlie
Bidwin is offline Find More Posts by Bidwin