New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by pjdog350
Joined Apr 2013
1,006 Posts
Discussion
Any real difference in the UMX stock motors

I've been flying the E-Flite UM & UMX models for a while now. Sense they are brushed I've had to change quite a few motors. HH always has parts available for them when they come out but after a while the parts seem to dry up.

Anyway to my real question to you guys that understand these models. Guys like Joel (Turbo). Is there really any difference in a champ motor when compared to a Mustang, Corsair, P-40 etc. I got tired of trying to keep them all separate and just put them all in a spares box. Last fix I did was to the Champ. Every battery I put in the champ the motor would start but stop ASAP? Tried allot of batteries and then decided the motor was done. I picked a out a motor from the spares box (MSRX). It was the same size. 8MM. So I put it in. Sure enough the Champ started up and stayed running. I've been flying it for a while and she's doing fine.

I got a response to a post about the MSRX motor as it's a smidgen longer that the MSRX motor drew more current and may brown out the plane or maybe some thing else? But as of yet she's doing fine. Got at least 20 flights on the MSRX motor in the Champ!

I've always though in my uneducated head that they are all the same motor!

I'd like to hear from you guys about it.

jack
pjdog350 is online now Find More Posts by pjdog350
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
806 Posts
I actually have stopped using the stock motors/replacement motors and use the micro motor warehouse motors. They work wonderfully- more power and better service life!
Julezwatts is offline Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by pjdog350
Joined Apr 2013
1,006 Posts
I do have two -15 motors that I got for the T-28 & Corsair. Now ever the stock motors are still working. I'm waiting for the stocker to fail then the -15's will go in.

I think they are the motor warehouse you speak of?
pjdog350 is online now Find More Posts by pjdog350
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
806 Posts
Sounds like it http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/col.../cl-0820-15-9t
Julezwatts is offline Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,154 Posts
There are several different motors. There is the champ size motor 20mm long, the p-51/p-40/r28 etc motor is the same 20mm long, but more powerfull, the sport cub S/ umx radian motor is longer, at 23mm, and even more powerfull than the p-51 motor...

the msrx motor is reported to be more powerfull than the p-51 motor, but has a smaller pinion, so without changing out the pinion, you will see an increase, but I doubt it would be enough to cause a problem with over current.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur