Oct 27, 2012, 08:15 PM
Stable genius
GP23: First, the 8FG powers up ready to fly whatever model you last flew, no action is needed. Second, for new model creation it defaults to the same model type as you are currently using. There is no difference whatsoever between heli/airplane software, just the throttle ratchet cover.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2012, 08:24 PM
Perfect, thank you very much vespa, that helps a lot! With all the 14SG talk, it might make more sense to wait on that. I'll be sure to order the heli version though, for whatever I get. Thanks again.
Oct 27, 2012, 08:40 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Be nice to hear from the 8FG users what they think of the 14SG when it becomes available....in terms of look, feel, weight compared to 8FG. May let a few of you guys work the bugs out first, then consider moving up in the spring.

Still like my 8FG, but this new one sure has me curious!
Oct 27, 2012, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings View Post
Well it is official.....new 14SG is out.

http://futaba-rc.com/systems/futk9410-14sg/index.html
Not yet it's not availble for ordering. Maybe preorder in few days.
Oct 27, 2012, 09:10 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
GP23: First, the 8FG powers up ready to fly whatever model you last flew, no action is needed. Second, for new model creation it defaults to the same model type as you are currently using. There is no difference whatsoever between heli/airplane software, just the throttle ratchet cover.
Possibly the spring loaded switch and the two position switch being in opposite top rear corners?
Oct 27, 2012, 10:08 PM
Good call bdelapen...I'll have to check on that one. The switch location probably wouldn't make a huge difference since I'm not familiar with the normal layout anyway. My biggest concern was the programming and start up. So it sounds like the Heli version it is...

Thanks again for the help guys, I'd hate to drop some decent cash on a transmitter and have it not be what I want. This was a huge help.
Oct 27, 2012, 10:15 PM
I think that the switch layout is the same for both, I fly with the heli version and the spring loaded switch is on the right/back.

Doug.
Oct 27, 2012, 11:21 PM
Stable genius
I think all U.S. models have the spring loaded switch on the right (wrong) side. It's not terribly difficult to fix.
Oct 28, 2012, 02:04 AM
RC Aircraft Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
I think that Servo Slow and S-FHSS is enough for me to turn my 8FG into my backup radio .
I will have to modify my DSM2 module however as the postion of the trainer cord has changed, I will need to add a long trainer cord
It would be nice to be able to use cheaper S-FHSS receivers. Any downside to these, range perhaps? Servo slow would be an added bonus as well.
Oct 28, 2012, 02:43 AM
The 8Fg does have a servo slow function" here's hoe to set it up:

as for the ability to transmit the FHSS/S-FHSS we'll have to wait and see if it can do that via a software update.

The 14SG will have all those features though.
Oct 28, 2012, 05:05 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvie100 View Post
It would be nice to be able to use cheaper S-FHSS receivers. Any downside to these, range perhaps? Servo slow would be an added bonus as well.
We are all waiting for the next firmware update.

Oct 28, 2012, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
The 8Fg does have a servo slow function" here's hoe to set it up:

as for the ability to transmit the FHSS/S-FHSS we'll have to wait and see if it can do that via a software update.

The 14SG will have all those features though.
Considering the 18MZ has an RF chip just for S-FHSS, I doubt it.

The 8FG/8FG(S) had a good run, I really wouldnt expect any more new features from it, why would they want to make it as good as the newer/more expensive 14SG ?
Oct 28, 2012, 07:07 AM
You're right I don't think it will be able to cope with S-FHSS and FHSS since there is no need with the 8J being a very specified radio in terms of features.
I added the bit on wait and see what happens with the next firmware update simple because there may be additional hardware that could be made available like a AnyLink type plug in module for FHSS/S-FHSS for legacy systems, like 8FG 10C, 12FG ,12Z and 14MZ.

Robbe has hybrid FASST/FASSTest plug in box for those systems, so theres nothing to stop a FHSS/S-FHSS module at the same time as a firmware update or later.

Hardware wise, I think the 8FG has reached its limit, and has really warmed the Futaba market to a flexible, updatable system at a good price.

The only features I could Futaba adding to 8FG is perhaps conditions in aircraft mode but its already probably the most flexible radio in the price bracket.

I think a FHSS/S-FHSS module would probably sell better in the 14MZ down to 10C owner base. I thnk most 8FG owners would simply upgrade to 14SG, especially the early adopters who have had their systems for over two years now.
Oct 28, 2012, 08:36 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
You're right I don't think it will be able to cope with S-FHSS and FHSS since there is no need with the 8J being a very specified radio in terms of features.
I added the bit on wait and see what happens with the next firmware update simple because there may be additional hardware that could be made available like a AnyLink type plug in module for FHSS/S-FHSS for legacy systems, like 8FG 10C, 12FG ,12Z and 14MZ.

Robbe has hybrid FASST/FASSTest plug in box for those systems, so theres nothing to stop a FHSS/S-FHSS module at the same time as a firmware update or later.

Hardware wise, I think the 8FG has reached its limit, and has really warmed the Futaba market to a flexible, updatable system at a good price.

The only features I could Futaba adding to 8FG is perhaps conditions in aircraft mode but its already probably the most flexible radio in the price bracket.

I think a FHSS/S-FHSS module would probably sell better in the 14MZ down to 10C owner base. I thnk most 8FG owners would simply upgrade to 14SG, especially the early adopters who have had their systems for over two years now.
I would upgrade to 14SG if I could buy just the transmitter. I already have way more receivers than I need.

Oct 28, 2012, 08:46 AM
I'll bet there's quite a few customers who are of the same position and opinion. I hope this option is available to you.
As For me, I'd like the R7008SB. I like the Futaba genuine Rx. I'll probably get a temperature sensor as part of a telemetry suite to aid with tuning my gassers.

I'm pretty much on the S.bus show now and don't really want to move back to PWM based set up's. Having One plane running S.bus and another nearing completion I'm really loving how easy it is too set up.

my 7Ch Rx's are in my slope gliders now but any new gliders will get S-FHSS Rx.
The newer more pricey Rx go into my gassers. The R7008Sb is already booked for a Pilot-RC Edge 540 30%

Quick Reply